Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Peculiar Photo of Elvis.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:22 am

when was this taken and under what circumstances?

PIC

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:41 am

Maybe when Elvis was in the army? His hair seems to be very short.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:01 am

It is from the summer of 1958, in a Waco, TX movie theater lobby. He was staying at friend Eddie Fadal's home, went to see a film, and stopped to pose for a photo with the owner of the theater before leaving.

God bless!

Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:29 am

Another tidbit is, I believe, Elvis is wearing Fadal's shirt (... or vice-versa ............ why? I have no idea. It is, however, a horrible looking shirt.)

There are other pics of Fadal with the same shirt on.

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:25 am

Janice Fadal Yannone wrote:One night when Elvis and Anita were visiting, Elvis said he would like to go to the theater to see a new movie called No Time For Sergeants starring his good friend Nick Adams. My Dad said he could arrange for all of them to go to the last showing of the evening. My Dad called a friend of his who managed the Waco Theater where No Time For Sergeants was playing. He explained that he would be bringing Elvis Presley over and asked his friend not to mention to anyone, not even the other employees that Elvis would be coming. Elvis could get very nervous when too many people were around. Apparently, when they hung up, the manager called all his friends and told them to come on down to the theater because Elvis Presley was going to be there.

When Elvis, Anita, my Mom and Dad and two of Elvis' men arrived it was obvious that Elvis' appearance was no longer a secret. Several people were waiting outside the theater for autographs and a photographer was on the scene. Elvis was polite and cordial as always and signed autographs and had his photo taken with many of the fans. When they went in to watch the movie they sat with Elvis' men behind them. Anita went into the row of seats first followed by Elvis, then my Dad and finally my mother who was on the aisle seat. Before long the theater started filling. Most of the people were there to watch Elvis, not the movie. The next couple of hours passed uneventfully, but near the end of the movie, Elvis asked my Dad to go start the car and pull it up very close to the back door. Elvis was getting very edgy. Several people started coming down the aisle to talk to him. My mother, sitting on the aisle seat, put her foot up on the seat in front of her to form a bit of a barrier between Elvis and the crowd that began forming. She looked at Elvis and could see from his expression he was very unhappy and nervous. Anita looked strained, too. When Elvis judged that it was time to leave, my Mom led the way running down the aisle towards the back door. Elvis's men followed behind Elvis and Anita and they were able to escape the crowd. They left before the movie was over.

People took some photos that night, when they approached Elvis asking if he would pose with them. He wore a white shirt with pink and black stripes, borrowed from my dad and a black wool cap he had brought with him.

When they left the theater and returned back to our home at 2807 Lasker, more things began to happen. As my mother and Anita got out of the car to walk to the back door, they could hear some voices. It really scared us. We didn't know what was going on. We could see a group of people walking down 29th street. Elvis and my dad had gotten out of the car by that time and so had Elvis' men. They all began walking toward the crowd. Some of the men in the crowd were wearing brass knuckles and some were carrying baseball bats. They were a rough looking bunch.

When the crowd met Elvis and his lineup of men, they stopped and said, "We heard Elvis Presley was here. We've come to see him." Elvis spoke and stepped out in front, “I’m Elvis." As daunting as the encounter had seemed, it was peaceful and the crowd only stayed about ten or fifteen minutes to talk to Elvis and get his autograph. Before they left, they told Elvis, "You know, there would've been trouble tonight if you'd just gone in the house and refused to see us. Since you didn't do that and came out and talked to us face to face, we knew we could respect you." I remember the talk of that the next day when I woke up and my folks were saying how scared they all were and how nervous Elvis had been all night long beginning at the theater.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:53 am

Swedish - thanks for that. Very interesting.

It is a clear example of Elvis being a "hermit", never venturing out in public, shunning contact with the world, and not needing a quorum of "bodyguards" around him all of his life - as per the "myth." :wink:

N8
... just a fan ....

Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:49 am

Nice post Swedish. :D

8)

Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:32 pm

Thanks guys for all your contributions of info.

In this pic of Elvis, it's uncanny how much he resembles a guy I went to high school with. Dead ringer.