Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1950s Graceland: any photos?

Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:56 pm

Are there any photographs of Graceland's interior circa 1957-1958.

It's common knowledge that Elvis made many indoor and outdoor renovations over the years and of course the Graceland we visit today is a preservation of 1977 Graceland.

but what about the way it looked/furnished in the 50s?

GG

Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:52 pm

I'd be curious too.

However, Graceland today is a recreation of the 60s as I understand it.

If you at photos on http://www.elvissecretary.com Elvis had most of the ground floor done out in bright red! :shock:

When Pricilla was overseeing the work to open Graceland to the public she ordered everything put back to the more subtle hue we now know.

The redecoration Elvis did in '75 with Linda Thompson lacked, how can I put this? Taste? Subtlety? Sunglasses?

Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:41 am

One of the magazines in Memphis made a reportage about Elvis moving into Graceland, just after he purchased it. They visited the mansion when Elvis was there to see how he wanted it to be decorated. They also took some photos..

Image Image

It should be more photos from this time. But they are ofcourse taken before Elvis even started to decorate it.

But here is a picture that was taken in the music room in the 57 (I would think at least). It's a jamsession with the Sunshine Boys.

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:58 pm

Little Sister,

Excellent! Thanks. I had never seen those but knew that surely there were 1950s Graceland pix in existence.

Thanks again

GG

Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:12 am

I have a book (more like a manual, actually) called "Graceland," which was published in 1994, and authored by Margo Hoven Green, Dorothy Nelson and Darlene Clevenger. It includes the cost of construction, chain of title, trust deeds, and numerous other documentations from the mansion.

Unfortunately, there are not many photos, but on one page they show Graceland upon completion in 1941, along with Toof family gatherings in the dining room. It is rather strange to see a shot of the Toof's seated at the table looking at the camera. There are over 20 people seated at the table, which kind of dwarfs Elvis' customary gatherings.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:57 pm

I was looking through the book "Graceland - the living legacy of Elvis Presley" to see if there were anymore photos of the interior from the 50's. Well... I found two Sunshineboys-pics. (One is the same as above, but in much better quality) Enjoy!

Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:50 pm

Those are great pictures. Shame there isn't more. Love your avatar Gracelandgardener. That women is hot, love those nylons. She is a beauty. Too bad you can only see her legs.