Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

bicentennial experience fort baxter

Post by frus75 »

I have a questio regarding this show. By the way elvis performs, I found a "nasal" tone too much upfront. It makes me suspicious if this has something to do with the mastering. I mean, the performance sounds too NASAL, while the phrasing and elvis attitude is no worst than on old times, holding back the years, etc.

Does anybody have an audience tape to check it?

Iván

La voz del Rey

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

I believe his comment about getting two hours sleep that night speaks to why he sounded like he was running on fumes. He was!

Under the best conditions, a matinee show is brutal on a performer that is used to sleeping during the day. In the summer of '76, Elvis was far from his best. After a few more of these disasters (Houston for one) they finally pulled the plug on afternoon gigs.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

yes, but he sounds strangely slightly more comitted than on old times, still rocking the nation, etc, but he seems to have inhalated a bit of helium.

Iván

La voz del Rey

stefan kock
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stefan kock »

Elvis had a throat infection which I believe also contributed to why he sounded that way.

" The image is one thing, the human being another "

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

stefan kock wrote:Elvis had a throat infection which I believe also contributed to why he sounded that way.
Yep, thats true Stefan.
One can blame the man for a poor show or praise the man because he hit the stage anyway...

I've read the other Hampton'76 show was worse though.. anyone heard that one?

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the July 31 show was recorded. I've only heard the show from August 1, '76.

Eagle

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

iv'e heard the 31st July 76' show and i thought it was quite good.... certainly BETTER than the next day! :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Robert

Post by Robert »

YDKM wrote:iv'e heard the 31st July 76' show and i thought it was quite good.... certainly BETTER than the next day! :roll:
Aha.. another urban legend solved! :smt031

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Thomas »

To me personally, this is the worst Elvis show ever. It is worse than anything from 1974 and 1977. It is the only show that really shocked me when I was listening to it. It is so sad.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Worst ever?
Well, at least the endings on both Hurt and America are very powerfull in Hampton..

The worst ever remains College Park imo.. he sings downright false on several songs..

dreambear
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by dreambear »

Robert wrote:Worst ever?
Well, at least the endings on both Hurt and America are very powerfull in Hampton..

The worst ever remains College Park imo.. he sings downright false on several songs..

Perhaps not the worst, but it belongs up there (or down there) with Omaha -77 (Omaha is almost better), Houston -76 and College park. The version of "And I love you so is painful. He has no "bass" in his voice. The main reason I have it is the splendid soundquality of the instruments and the rare version of "Return to sender"

//Björn

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:shock: i agree with Robert..college park WAS the worst! ..i mean at least Elvis gives a positive concert on saturday night in hampton roads with How Great Thou Art etc you KNOW the concert will be at least half decent! As far as next day goes...well he tried but DID have heavy cold and wasn't up to it... Return to Sender is my main reason for listening to that show. :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

YDKM wrote::shock: i agree with Robert..college park WAS the worst! ..i mean at least Elvis gives a positive concert on saturday night in hampton roads with How Great Thou Art etc you KNOW the concert will be at least half decent! As far as next day goes...well he tried but DID have heavy cold and wasn't up to it... Return to Sender is my main reason for listening to that show. :roll:
I'm sure it was extremely difficult with a heavy cold, it's hard enough to speak let alone sing when feeling that way.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

dreambear wrote:

Perhaps not the worst, but it belongs up there (or down there) with Omaha -77 (Omaha is almost better), Houston -76 and College park. The version of "And I love you so is painful. He has no "bass" in his voice. The main reason I have it is the splendid soundquality of the instruments and the rare version of "Return to sender"

//Björn
Since we've never heard a recording of the Houston show, it's not really fair to include it on this list.

We have bad newspaper reviews, a bad fan review or two and the memories of a number of Elvis' crew members. I'd still want to actually hear the show before I was comfortable calling it one of the worst.

Tony Brown remembers the Fort Worth show in June as being one of the best. From what we've heard, neither the June nor July show was anything spectacular. "Hearing is believing."

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

stefan kock

Post by stefan kock »

When compared to Atlanta June 6th 1976, he's singing fantastic in Hampton Roads. This Atlanta show is one of the worst shows I've heard him do, many times worse than College Park or anything from '77.

Robert

Post by Robert »

elvisjock wrote:
dreambear wrote:

//Björn
Since we've never heard a recording of the Houston show, it's not really fair to include it on this list.

We have bad newspaper reviews, a bad fan review or two and the memories of a number of Elvis' crew members. I'd still want to actually hear the show before I was comfortable calling it one of the worst.

Tony Brown remembers the Fort Worth show in June as being one of the best. From what we've heard, neither the June nor July show was anything spectacular. "Hearing is believing."
Hot damn, here we go with Houston again..
Personally, it's hard for me to let go of this subject, because the recording remains unreleased. FTD will probably never put this out.

However, found a "new" newspaper review on elvisconcerts.com, and it's critical, but slightly different than the other reviews.
Poor reviews were pretty common in '76..

Maybe this wasn't that bad after all, it's just a fact that it was an afternoon show, and it took probably 30 minutes before Elvis woke up on stage! (but ended the show decently)

Anyway, here we go:

CONCERT DATE: August 28, 1976. Houston, TX.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Houston News
September 1, 1976

Screams Say Elvis Still Is King
by Wiley Alexander
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis has gone, but here's a few more tidbits before the screams die down.

For example, did you know some people actually criticized his performance? That's right, criticized

"He was half-tight," one irritated fan said after the perfomance. "I couldn't understand a word he said. All he did was mumble.

Another fan was upset by the sound system, as was Elvis. "The sound kept fading out," the fan said, "and we could only hear about half the songs."

Four or five times during his performance, Elvis criticized the sound system. He explained that the sound truck with the equipment normally used in his shows turned over and a substitute system was installed.

Success

Still, though, even with a faulty sound system and a few disgruntled spectators, the performance was a smashing success.

"He made me cry," one red-eyed girl said. "He's the greatest, just the greatest."

Elvis tee-shirts were everywhere. Elvis pictures were everywhere. Elvis signs were everywhere.

When it was time for him to come on stage, a sense of excitement gripped the audience.

Screams started even before he appeared. just the thought he was coming stirred emotions.

Deafening

Then, when he did appear, the sound was deafening. Fans of all ages were screaming, proving that the Elvis charm is no respector of age.

When he put on his guitar, walked up in the microphone and started singing "C.C. Rider," the roar became even louder.

The darkened arena lit up like noon Saturday as flashbulbs began popping.

Fans pushed up front to try to get a scarf Elvis was giving out. He would hand scarf after scarf to anxious hands, keeping Charlie Hodge busy replacing them. Hosge sings harmony with Elvis and also keeps him supplied with scarves.

Elvis went from one of his hits to another, much in the delight of the jam packed arena

Wiggles

Each movement of Elvis was met with screams. He sang "Fever," and threw in some extra wiggles which brought extra roars.

Elvis is still magic. He stirs emotions like few performers can.

Some people call him old and others call him overweight. He may be, but the 10,000 fans who saw him last Friday still call him King.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Read this sentence by the reviewer, a surprise to me :o

"Still, though, even with a faulty sound system and a few disgruntled spectators, the performance was a smashing success."

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

YDKM wrote:
iv'e heard the 31st July 76' show and i thought it was quite good.... certainly BETTER than the next day!
Can you tell us the name of this import, or do you have a scan of the label? I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Eagle

dreambear
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by dreambear »

elvisjock wrote:
dreambear wrote:

//Björn

It´s true, but at least we have several sources dealing with that Houston show, and just Tony Brown on the Fort Worth show. I have only heard the second show fr o m College Park (horrible one), but several sources claims that the first one was even worse, and can´t help believing that.

By the way, Tuscon -76 ain´t the concert you play to impress a non-fan with either.//Björn

stefan kock

Post by stefan kock »

EagleUSA wrote:YDKM wrote:
iv'e heard the 31st July 76' show and i thought it was quite good.... certainly BETTER than the next day!
Can you tell us the name of this import, or do you have a scan of the label? I'd love to hear it! Thanks!
It's only out on CDR as far as I know. The title is: Live in Hampton Roads.

Here's a link to the backcover: http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cdr/covers/760731es_b.jpg