Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Opinions on the Elvis Lives special from last year

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:25 pm

With a release of this special due out in a few months, I'm curious to what everybody thought about it. I personally thought it was very fair and addressed Elvis's genius along with his untouchable looks and charisma. I also liked how they addressed the race issue showing his deep respect for the music and the people he was influenced by as a youth.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:16 pm

Overall I think the Special was very well put together. However, I could have done without the Bono poem, or at least a shortened version of it, and Chuck D's comments. I would have liked more from Bruce Springsteen. Perhaps we will get more when the DVD comes out.

Brian :)

Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:29 pm

The special was surprisingly good, I guess. I don't think there's need for a release on DVD though. It's something you watch on TV and that's it. Just my opinion. Would never buy it, I guess.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:18 pm

Was the 68 comeback black leather outfit that Chris Isaac was wearing original?

Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:16 pm

I dunno, but Leann Rhimes looked pretty freakin' hot!

Thu Jul 10, 2003 1:50 am

Ditto that.

Chris claimed he was wearing THE suit.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:53 pm

The special was a good introduction to Elvis, it was designed to appeal to the MTV crowd and it worked as a TV program but I don't think it offered anything much to seasoned fans. Even Bonos poem had been used before (albeit in printed form).

As a video DVD release it might find an audience but my own guess is that there are lots of things Elvis fans want to see out on DVD and this ranks pretty low on the list.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:55 pm

If the DVD was cheap enough I'd buy it. Mainly because I missed it when it was on Tele. :?

8)

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:01 pm

In my opinion it offered nothing new. Brtiney Spears telling kids that Elvis was the King...yeah, that added some new attention to Elvis I´m sure. :roll:

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:31 pm

I just love this "Elvis lives" special. It's so cool to see nowadays artists praising Elvis and telling how important he still is for the music industry and the artists. They really covered all aspects of being a star...

But I didn't like the part of that black rapper where he was telling that same old story that Elvis stole the music from the blacks, etc... Since when is 'music' from anyone? Elvis never took credit for modernising music, he never even suggested that he invented something. Fortunately BB King put that story in a right context.... but that part was a downpoint for the whole special.....

Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:20 pm

Hello,

What really pisses me off is that a couple of years ago Ray Charles did an interview with Bob Costas where he took some potshots at Elvis basically accusing him of stealing from blacks yet Ray Charles did numerous recordings of classic country songs but no white man has ever accused him of trying to steal from the white man. Also I don't believe Ray Charles has ever physically seen Elvis with his own two eyes so he is missing out on a major part of Elvis' worldwide appeal.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:54 pm

Daryl are suggesting that RC saw Elvis with another set of eyes? lol Just curious, but you do have a good point. Shame that so many people just don't get it.

sucked

Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:16 pm

sucked. sucked big time. just sat there with my mouth open listening to these losers. again, sucked.

Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:31 pm

I agree with you, Daryl. I have not heard Ray Charles say a whole lot of good about Elvis, either. It is unfortunate.

I thought the special was good, and I will probably pick it up when it comes out.

Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:43 am

Well, if the leather suit that Chris Isaaks was wearing was the original, all I can say is that it looked a whole lot better on that other guy in 1968 !

Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:17 pm

It's a nice special to the average tv watcher, but fans could do with a lot more Elvis and a lot less small talk by so called Elvis fans...

Why not release some real Elvis stuff, instead of these documentaries?

Sonny