Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Houston Astrodome 1970 press conference filmed but why ?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:14 am

Guys

does anyone know why the press conference was filmed what reason was it just a news crew doing some filming so they show clips on the tv that night of Elvis arriving ???

If it wasn't it begs the question why we havent seen any concert footage from the film crew at least a couple of mins but nothing has ever come out.

same with honolulu 1972 you just wonder how much footage was shot i think they best way is to get pictures of the show and try and see camera people there at the start and pictures near the end so at least gives you some hope that they might of filmed more than a few mins.

also on the april 1972 tour we dont have much evidence from pictures what shows got taped other than the 4 we all ready know of

anyone else imput to this would be great

cheers

Cameron

Re: Houston Astrodome 1970 press conference filmed but why ?

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:14 am

OnTourCam wrote:Guys

does anyone know why the press conference was filmed what reason was it just a news crew doing some filming so they show clips on the tv that night of Elvis arriving ???

If it wasn't it begs the question why we havent seen any concert footage from the film crew at least a couple of mins but nothing has ever come out.

same with honolulu 1972 you just wonder how much footage was shot i think they best way is to get pictures of the show and try and see camera people there at the start and pictures near the end so at least gives you some hope that they might of filmed more than a few mins.

also on the april 1972 tour we dont have much evidence from pictures what shows got taped other than the 4 we all ready know of

anyone else imput to this would be great

cheers

Cameron

Let's also not forget the famous MSG press conference from June '72, yet no MSG concert footage (except for fan shot footage).

Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:51 am

There is no mystery.

News film crews are invited to press conferences for the publicity value - it does not follow that they are invited to hang around while the concert is running.

I work at a stadium and news crews are prohibited on event days - they can report from outside the boundaries but never inside.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:10 am

carolynlm wrote:What do you mean, no MSG footage except what was shot by fans....what about 'Elvis On Tour'???? or am I missing something here?

There was no Madison Square Garden concert footage in Elvis On Tour.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:19 am

Only about 30 seconds of the MSG press conference is in EOT

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:02 pm

The news crews WERE present at the MSG shows, or at least one of them, and there is some excellent footage around, so Carolyn, you may well have seen it somewhere!

Elvis is in a white suite, with gold cape, and is seen from the right side of the stage, as you look at it. (Elvis' left)

There's an excellent site dedicated to the MSG shows, and the footage is there.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:21 pm

I believe the MSQ press conference was filmed with a stereo soundtrack because it was intended (and done) to use some of the footage in Elvis On Tour.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:11 am

carolynlm wrote:I must have seen it sommewhere else then....this getting old business is not healthy....lol

Carolyn, perhaps the following link might help answer your question in regards to MSG footage :

http://www.msg1972.com/HP/the%20Footage ... nglish.htm

Re: Houston Astrodome 1970 press conference filmed but why ?

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:22 am

OnTourCam wrote:does anyone know why the press conference was filmed what reason was it just a news crew doing some filming so they show clips on the tv that night of Elvis arriving ???

same with honolulu 1972 you just wonder how much footage was shot

I'm not sure I understand the question. All press conferences are filmed/taped in their entirety. That's why they call them that. The crew films/tapes the whole thing, then pulls out sound bites to use under the reporters comments. Like I said, maybe I don't understand the question.

Tom

Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:44 am

Tom

I think the question might have been relating to why there were TV cameras present in addition to the usual reporters / photographers. There are earlier press conferences from 68 and 69 for which no TV exists.

THe answer, of course, is as you suggest - they were news conferences, and Elvis, by this time in his career after the comebacks, was certainly newsworthy!

I think Cameron was also hoping someone might be able to say, yes TV crews were present as they were recording the Astrodome event too!!!!

If only...