Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Cindy, Cindy

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:11 pm

I've been working a few night shifts recently, and I took a stack of CDs to blast out whilst we worked. Elvis, of course, came along for the journey. :wink:

Anyway, listening to Cindy, Cindy blasting out of the speakers reminded me of what a great song this is in Elvis's hands. The arrangement is forcful and exciting and El really gets stuck in, delivering a hard rocking vocal. I love the way he pronounces certain words, like bluebird and hot. Little things like that can make a song.

Great solo, too. One question: Could that be Chip Young playing that? It reminded me of the stinging solo on Down In The Alley, which I believe is Young's.

Oh, and you gotta love McCoy's harp playing too!

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:49 pm

Another cool track from an under-rated LP! :wink:

I played that song over and over as a kid. Loved it, and, I still get a kick out of it today. It would be interesting to see what reaction it would get today, based on its lyrical content.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:48 pm

A fun song to listen to. What great sessions those were.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 pm

You are so right Londonflash, this is one cracking song :D

Do you think this would have been a good song to include in some of the concerts? I wonder if it would still have the drive that it has on the studio version?

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:19 pm

This song rocks! When you play it again rise the volume and enjoy! 8)

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Great song, I love it.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:54 pm

I like it and Elvis should have told Felton to take out horns like he did with Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:51 am

You got it, JLGB, those horns suck! And the LP that track comes from, 'Love Letters From Elvis', is surely one of his worst of the period. Another 'leftovers' collection with stuff he shouldn't have touched with a big, big, hugely massive bargepole - 'This Is Our Dance' being about as sub-standard as you can get. And why, when he sang the first note of the 'Love Letters' re-cut out of tune, didn't Felton the producer get him to re-do it? You don't think he was frightened of him, do you?

This LP is another case of: That'll do. It'll sell whatever's on it, so let's just put it out. Those monkeys will buy anything.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:02 am

I loathe the first line of the song - "Wish I were an apple, dangling on a tree".

Having said that though, I love the song. Elvis really seems to get into it, and the musicians are bang on.

There's not many songs from 'Love Letters..' that I enjoy, but that's one of the few that I do.

Kevin.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:05 am

Tits McGhee wrote:You got it, JLGB, those horns suck! And the LP that track comes from, 'Love Letters From Elvis', is surely one of his worst of the period. Another 'leftovers' collection with stuff he shouldn't have touched with a big, big, hugely massive bargepole - 'This Is Our Dance' being about as sub-standard as you can get. And why, when he sang the first note of the 'Love Letters' re-cut out of tune, didn't Felton the producer get him to re-do it? You don't think he was frightened of him, do you?

This LP is another case of: That'll do. It'll sell whatever's on it, so let's just put it out. Those monkeys will buy anything.
You have inspired a new thread! :)

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:11 am

i like elvis's version and ricky nelson's version which both feature james burton on lead guitar. the horns should have been left out.
is it the master version or an alt. take where he says fade this mother f.?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:05 am

Elvis' phrasing and the instrumentals drive the song to a blistering pitch. fantastic track.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:37 pm

Probably my favourite track on the album but then there was a lot of scmatlzy ballads that shouldn't have been recorded/released on that particular album.
Have you heard Rick Nelson sing it in Rio Bravo?
rick

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:52 pm

The best track on Love Letters is Got My Mojo Working in my opinion. Cindy, Cindy I've never been too keen on, sounds a little rushed and unfinished.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Matthew wrote:The best track on Love Letters is Got My Mojo Working in my opinion. Cindy, Cindy I've never been too keen on, sounds a little rushed and unfinished.
Thats another horny song. :wink:

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Didn't know Rick Nelson recorded it as well.

I believe Johnny Cash recorded a version of Cindy, Cindy with Nick Cave. It's on the Unearthed boxset of American Recordings.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:10 pm

londonflash wrote:I believe Johnny Cash recorded a version of Cindy, Cindy with Nick Cave. It's on the Unearthed boxset of American Recordings.


That's right. It's sounds much more relaxed and country than Elvis's version. Great version anyway.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Yeah.

I was quite surprised to see it on the tracklisting, until I read that the song is actually one of the many written by "Traditional".

That guy got around a lot. :wink:

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:53 pm

JLGB wrote:
Matthew wrote:The best track on Love Letters is Got My Mojo Working in my opinion. Cindy, Cindy I've never been too keen on, sounds a little rushed and unfinished.
Thats another horny song. :wink:


Presented hornless on A Hundred Years From Now.

8)

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 pm

I've always thought that the horns on Mojo are pointless...same with the female vocalists too.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:17 pm

londonflash wrote:I've always thought that the horns on Mojo are pointless...same with the female vocalists too.


Well, I always thought that they really added something worthwhile to the track !

Strange that.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:19 pm

Too shrill for me, Colin.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:21 pm

londonflash wrote:Too shrill for me, Colin.


The horns or the girls ?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 pm

The girls.

Besides, it doesn't seem right to hear a bird singing "I got my mojo working". :D

Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:48 pm

ritchie valens wrote: is it the master version or an alt. take where he says fade this mother f.?


Must be the take 1 from There`s A Whole Lotta Shakin Going On
The same take we have on Essential Vol.4 but I think there this end was cut out..