More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
canary_murder_case
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Memphis, TN February 25, 1961

Post by canary_murder_case »

Greetings Everybody!

I'm a regular visitor of the Concert Photo Of The Week section on Paul's Elvis Page.
Thís time he has a color picture from Memphis, TN February 25, 1961

Since this subject doesn't come up very often, I've come to the conclusion that either very little is known about these concerts or people simply aren't interested. Or maybe both.

Are there at least any speculations regarding existence and whereabouts of '61 Memphis recordings?

Thanks,
PV.

sjkj
Registered for: 18 years

Post by sjkj »

i'll take a cd of this

sjkj

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Memphis, TN February 25, 1961

Post by drjohncarpenter »

canary_murder_case wrote:Are there at least any speculations regarding existence and whereabouts of '61 Memphis recordings?
I posted the afternoon and evening set lists -- from a contemporaneous source -- on this MB a few years back. Since then, these have appeared on websites as well.

After 40+ years, it's likely nothing exists for either show. BMG's Ernst Jørgensen always kept vigilant for any tapes, but after 17 years, he has come up empty. There's no proof that either was ever recorded, which is almost a crime.

DJC

sjkj

Post by sjkj »

There is always HOPE!
Look what Ernst just found from 55.

sjkj

drjohncarpenter

sjkj wrote:There is always HOPE! Look what Ernst just found from 55.
Oh, what a good point you make. See you in 2012.

DJC

Keith F

Post by Keith F »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sjkj wrote:There is always HOPE! Look what Ernst just found from 55.
Oh, what a good point you make. See you in 2012.

DJC
Don't be too harsh on him (her?) Doc! The 'Meridian' (May 26 1955) tape just goes to show what can still be found in 2006!

I still remember years ago someone telling me they heard an LP (Vinyl?) of Elvis' performance at one of the 1961 Memphis shows, and verified the show by claiming he heard Elvis singing 'Doing The Best I Can' live. He reported this on this MB a few years ago, and you shot him down straight away.

Could it be that what he heard wasn't from an LP but from an Acetate? I have acetates of 'Radio Spots' etc... from the late 50's / early 60's for Elvis' movies, so it could be possible that one of the shows in Memphis in 1961 was recorded this way, and exists in private hands.

I won't hold my breath, but you never know! :wink:

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

I remember that post as well. But the poster didn't have any evidence at all. What the cover looked like? How no one else had ever heard it.
No details at all. I always hold hope something like this exists but I don't think it has been booted yet, or at least one other copy would have surfaced. We are very lucky we have the hawaii 61 show.
The real crime is that is wasn't filmed and made to be a TV special.

rockerman

Post by rockerman »

I'm almost certian a few years back one of the websites had a recording of this for a limited time. It was legit and I listened to it a few times back.

rotis
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Memphis, TN February 25, 1961

Post by rotis »

Hello Keith, Doc., Canary M..., etc.:
It was I who posted a year or so ago about borrowing the infamous lp of Elvis' Memphis charity concert of Feb. 1961 and listened to what I could of it including Elvis singing "Doin' The Best I Can" . As I mentioned at the time it was hard to listen to because it had a intrusive tone over it like one hears when the recorder's volume was turned up too high during the recording process.
I did get a laugh out of the Doc working overtime telling me what I did and didn't hear. Since he hadn't heard it or seen it, it therefore didn't exist. . . at least in his world.
But, I do come up with the unusual Elvis item once in awhile. For instance, I recently provided Keith F. with a rare 1957 interview Elvis did just before he entered the service that he uses at his website.
Getting back to the Elvis Memphis charity concert, while I know the recording exists just like the back of my hand I unfortunately don't hear from the owner of the record anymore since I told him I didn't care too much for the 70's era Elvis. He took umbrage with that remark and stomped out of my home, taking his album with him, never to call again.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Rotis,

I want to believe you, believe I want to believe you. Please think about this. What did the cover look like? Can you recall the color of the label.
Was it the complete concert? I notice you are from Washington. I am from Oregon. PM me with the guy's name and last known phone number. I will call him myself. How did the two of you meet and under what circumstances? Is he from the Northwest? If this exists, it is the only version and I am willing to do some leg work to find it. Let me know. thanks, ekenee

drjohncarpenter

The set lists, as noted, are derived from a report published in a 1961. To wit, a fan magazine called "The Tanker." Anyone in the past 40 years could claim they heard "Doin' The Best I Can," as fan Gary Pepper wrote it in his article.

It defies logic and common sense that a bootleg LP of either 1961 Memphis show has been heard by one person on the planet Earth. A person who cannot recall what the cover looked like, where it was acquired and why it's never been seen or heard since. But -- quite evidently -- there are plenty of fools and idiots on this MB.

DJC

sgt bilko

Post by sgt bilko »

Actually I think it was me who spoke about hearing Doin the Best I Can as part of a really bad concert recording on cassette, and by process of elimination it had to be from Memphis as it was the only time it was performed. I was indeed shot down by several people who decided that as they had not heard it , then it was not likely I could have ( I can understand this as up to know nothing has surfaced) . I had nothing to gain from stating this only to let people know that at one point a recording, although of abysmal quality did exist. if you check my message history you will find I have never claimed anything such as this before or afterwards to provoke any sort of controversy.
I still maintain and know what I heard and as such hold out a little hope that it will one day again surface.

The comments regarding the LP I think were later dismissed as a mistake by the original poster of what was actually on the LP, and it was not Memphis.

InMemphis
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by InMemphis »

just because it was a vinyl doesn't mean that it had an album cover, it could have been a homemade recording that was converted from tape (live from the event) and then recorded onto a vinyl record. Easily done at any radio station, I used to watch my Dad make vinyl records all the time from tape. We had several collections around in plain white sleeves with the artist's info handwritten in ink around the white spindle label space.

Rather odd of the guy to storm out because one didn't like the 70's Elvis.

Was he trying to sell it?

sjkj

Post by sjkj »

the 1961 interview had a bad hum in it,could the sorce be the same.

sjkj

drjohncarpenter

sjkj wrote:the 1961 interview had a bad hum in it,could the sorce be the same.
1961 interview? What 1961 intervew?

A 1977 two LP set Elvis Speaks To You included a poor-quality recording (with hum) of Elvis' March 8, 1961 address to the Tennessee State Legislature.

This must be what you are referring to, and there's little reason to believe the same tape would have one of the benefit shows from the previous month on it.

DJC

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

He is referring to a very long press conference done in Memphis at the time which has been released in its entirety. the length is over 30 minutes if I recall. The address to the Tenn. Legislasure is different and very short.

drjohncarpenter

ekenee wrote:He is referring to a very long press conference done in Memphis at the time which has been released in its entirety. the length is over 30 minutes if I recall. The address to the Tenn. Legislasure is different and very short.
Well, I may have my public speaking attributions in error -- the disc says "Press Conference" on sides 1 and 2, but I seem to recall it being the legislature address. Thank you for the information.

Does anyone have this LP set to confirm? My turntable is AWOL.

Whatever the collection holds, there is a hum running through it, and the quality not so hot. Maybe I should listen again and see if I hear "Doin' The Best That I Can."

DJC

sjkj

Post by sjkj »

The 61 interview I was refering to, the connection I was trying to make was that maybe it was the same person that recorded both events. The album title is " Elvis, The Kings speaks, Feb. 1961. " The front of the album is a free hand drawing of elvis. The back side is pictures of elvis in concert, plus the interview ( for anyone who didn't know ) If the concert is in the same quillity as the interview, Kevin Bud has his work cut out for him ( that is if they ever find it. ) Dream time is over.

sjkj

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

I see what you are saying but there is no reason to believe that the concert and the press conference were recorded by the same individual.
It's possible, but who knows.

Also just a note: A few documentaries have used audio from this press conference as talk over. The one I remember is when Elvis is talking about how the sign in Tupelo for the youth center had fallen over and he said "we tried to pick it back up", and they showed the footage at the same time.
Ironically it must have been just days before he was in Tupelo when this happened.