Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Why not an Alternate Elvis album?

Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:49 am

Jay33 wrote:What about an album of only Alternate takes? They could call it Alternate Elvis. There's some potential in a project like this and Scott's idea of a Life story. Why doesn't RCA use more creativity and judgment to what will sell in the long run then what will sell now? I don't have time right now to go through a list of outtakes that exists but will later.

In my view such a project would actually be very feasible. Just think about the Beatles' Anthology series. Most people that bought it didn't even know that it contained alternate performances, they were just in for a piece of history and to get a different view on the Beatles.

How about three double disc sets "The Elvis Anthology" featuring the cream of the crop of Elvis alternates from 54-59, 60-69 and 70-76, all entertainingly pieced together with studio chat? I personally think that would be something even the general public would enjoy...

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:06 am

Jay33 wrote:What about an album of only Alternate takes? They could call it Alternate Elvis.

...or maybe even Essential Elvis. You could even do 4 disc boxed sets of alternate takes for the general public and create a special label for the more dedicated fans.

Great idea!

Chris

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:15 am

i like the idea :lol: so what would your choices be for best alt takes? and imagine Ernst letting the fans on the forum pick the tracks for an antholagy For the general puplic sort of like from fans to fans i bet they would sell. :D

Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 am

Smartass :roll:

I have a reputation to uphold, you know.

Chris

Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:40 am

ChrisM wrote:
Jay33 wrote:What about an album of only Alternate takes? They could call it Alternate Elvis.

...or maybe even Essential Elvis. You could even do 4 disc boxed sets of alternate takes for the general public and create a special label for the more dedicated fans.

Great idea!

Chris

You're not suggesting it's been done already? Surely BMG RCA aren't capable of such creative decisions?

...oh wait.

8)

Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:45 am

Jay, your idea is great!! But your tracklist sorry, is only one more compilation. I think it's been done by Sony/BMG and FTD.

I would suggest an extensive compilation, fully remixed, digittaly remastered and restoration. Maybe 6 CDs, including original recordings, TV apearances but on the last CD including tracks remake (or re-recorded), like Always On My Mind (orchestral version) style. Songs like I'Ve Lost You, You've Lost That Lovin Feelin, Burning love, Suspicious Minds and others, could be recorded, but similar to originals. Not like the Too Much Monkey Business CD, it's so much artificial for me.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:35 am

a cd with 30 hard to find songs that you could only get if you bought the ftds or box set.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:38 am

I would love to see an album like this be done, hopefully it will eventually happen..nice setlist Jay some great song selections there.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:27 am

I assume that this "alternate" album would be on the SonyBMG general label as we already have them on FTD.

How would you market this to the public? Whatever you do it will be perceived as containing tracks not considered acceptable at the time for original release. Would the general public be interested in such a venture when they can buy the "proper" masters?. Why would they want to buy second or third best? I am not talking about fans here.

I would rather go the rare (to general public) route. A folk album could have wide appeal.

But a real shot in the arm would be a duets disc. Imagine Bob Dylan duetting on Tomorrow Is A long Time. Why not. They are both in the SonyBMG stable. Gordon Lightfoot on Early Morning Rain, etc etc .

Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:32 am

Hey Jay, why dont u just kick back and enjoy the voluminous amount of Elvis music there is already available? a novel concept i know.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:48 am

Kylan wrote:Hey Jay, why dont u just kick back and enjoy the voluminous amount of Elvis music there is already available? a novel concept i know.

EXACTLY... :wink:

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:24 pm

There are a few alt takes that sound better than the masters.

Jess :D

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:43 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I assume that this "alternate" album would be on the SonyBMG general label as we already have them on FTD.

How would you market this to the public? Whatever you do it will be perceived as containing tracks not considered acceptable at the time for original release. Would the general public be interested in such a venture when they can buy the "proper" masters?. Why would they want to buy second or third best? I am not talking about fans here.

I would rather go the rare (to general public) route. A folk album could have wide appeal.

But a real shot in the arm would be a duets disc. Imagine Bob Dylan duetting on Tomorrow Is A long Time. Why not. They are both in the SonyBMG stable. Gordon Lightfoot on Early Morning Rain, etc etc .

When Elvis Is Back was deleted, Such A Night was kept. That shows that obviously some genius at BMG thought that Joe Public would prefer an alternate album to one of the strongest Elvis albums ever.

A box set full of alternates could sell if done with care. There are many alternates, that

1. sound very different
2. sound better than the original versions;
3. alternates and originals are out with different overdubbs
4. some are out in various versions / mixes;
5. there are several remakes and/or
6. live/rehearsal versions, that are better / different

I would not call it "Alternate Elvis" as this suggests second best versions as mentioned above. Better call it "Rare Elvis". This concept worked well in LP times.

Surely this would hardly bring anything new to hard core fans; but I would like to have those alternates put together on one box in perfect sound; not all of them are easy to get and some can be found on LPs or imports only.

Also a proper made booklet could share some light on the different versions out there that surely would bring something unknown to many of us.

Peter

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:41 pm

Actuallt I don't think people care too much about alternate takes. In fact "Close-Up" sold so poorly that Sony BMG probably won't release anything like it again. Fact.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:08 pm

Peter66 wrote:
When Elvis Is Back was deleted, Such A Night was kept. That shows that obviously some genius at BMG thought that Joe Public would prefer an alternate album to one of the strongest Elvis albums ever.

Well, the "genius" was meant in a sarcastic way..........

Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:07 pm

Jay33 wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Actuallt I don't think people care too much about alternate takes. In fact "Close-Up" sold so poorly that Sony BMG probably won't release anything like it again. Fact.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Probably because it sucked so bad. Only good thing about it was the unreleased concert with mediocre mix on disc 4 Live In Texas.

The sound on this show is awesome, kicking and full of punch, preferred over other multitrack releases 1972 onwards....in my opinion.

Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:01 am

Jay33 wrote: Joe public would be interested to hear what different songs of EP it would feature along with outtakes of classic #1's also inlcuded. But some here just don't get that. They are so spoiled and stuck on FTD's :roll:

Seems like a good time for you to run more polls. Go to some "Joe Public" non-Elvis forums on the net and collect pertinent data that you can report to the "spoiled" members back here.

Eileen