Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Brian Quinn
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

IS ELVIS BIGGER THAN EMINEM? - VOTE NOW

Post by Brian Quinn »

I think we all know the answer to this one - well now you can register your vote at the following site:

http://www.rollingstone.com/

Brian :D

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

I think he may have been taller.

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Another stupid, pointless and absolutely meaningless poll :!:

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Albert

Post by Albert »

This is sooo stupid! How can you compare a guy that is damn hot for the past couple of years, with an icon that has singlehanded changed the musicworld?

TONY

EMINIEM IS A THUG.....

Post by TONY »

Who just "shouts" about violence and stuff. His records sound like someone with a clothes peg on his nose. It always sounds like he's "singing" in a joke voice. He encourages little kids to use bad language at his concerts. And he will be forgotten in a couple of years just like all the other anti-establishment trash.

Morrissey
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Morrissey »

I think this poll should be taken 50 years from now. Not only would we still know the outcome, but it would be very questionable that Eminem would still be a name remembered.

Joe Lightcloud
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Joe Lightcloud »

What or who the hell is eminim

Joe Lightcloud

You never stood in that man's shoes... or saw things through his eyes....
Hank Williams - 1950

Getlo

Post by Getlo »

His voice would be better suited to a Warner Bros cartoon.

Sounds more like "Tweety Pie" to me (minus the swearing, of course!) :wink:

Getlo

Elvis#1
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Not!

Post by Elvis#1 »

To suggest that Emminem or however you spell his name is bigger then the King is ludicrus! There is no comparison!

Joe Lightcloud

Post by Joe Lightcloud »

It's a person is it, my God the poor Git, imagine having a name like that. It sounds has if he can't sing either, according to Getlo he sounds like Tweety Pie.

Brian, how old are you, and can you please tell me how you can even consider starting such a crap thread.

Joe Lightcloud

Hank Williams - 1950

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

Definitely Eminem.. lol

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

I agree that this is pointless thread, but some of the anti Eminem comments posted here remind me of the ‘50’s footage when the older folks took a dislike to the young rebellious Elvis: “he can’t sing”, “he has no talent”, “he won’t last” etc. Music has to progress, and personally I think Eminem is a talented artist.

BobbyTCB

Post by BobbyTCB »

He can perhaps be called that, but considering what passes for art...

However, saying he can't sing is on the right track, IMO.

...you won't forget me when I go.

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

Another crappy poll not to be taken seriously or even worth to mention.

C'mon guys

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

TONY

MNM

Post by TONY »

But surely "Eminem" is just doing what has already been done by "rap" "artists" over the years, ie shouting and swearing for publicity and controversy. When Elvis caused controversy in the '50's, it was all new and he didnt have to swear in his records or shout about gay people to get noticed.
TONY DOBB

genesim

Post by genesim »

I think some of the people that responded have no CLUE about the impact that EMINEM has made. There is something to be said about the comparison of being a pioneer in a pedominately black market. Though this is not really about Elvis, I just thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. I agree that EMINEM is not the influence that Elvis was....yet. But saying that EMINEM does nothing but shout is rediculous. Try listening to the albums and then make a better judgement. Saying he just rips on gays or whoever..need to take a closer listen. It is all firmly in cheek, and about the profanity...well my friend it is called CULTURE. The F word has been used so much that it really has lost its power. It is just another way of expressing oneself. Like the Doc said Eminem is a wonderful talent and one should really give him a chance instead of bashing. He is truly a phenomenon. Whether he stays that way remains to be seen.

One more thing..Tony if you think EMINEM is nothing new, then maybe you haven't been listening. He is a skilled lyricist and truly a innovator. To compare him with ANYTHING that has come before is rediculous(cept maybe EAZY-E). He is in a class of his own.

Had to add a little more...You know it is funny looking over ALL the anti-eminem stuff, it is kind of funny. Has the sarcasm gone over all you guys heads? Do you really think EMINEM wants everybody to take drugs? Do you really think he himself take all the drugs he says? It is like Elvis said "I have my show". Seriously, if one can't appreciate/understand a talent such as him, thats one thing. But the fact that he would get under you guys skins just shows how much of a influence he is. The man came along at the right time. I for one feel that we need a EMINEM right now to make fun of the bull that has been going around for a while now. I loved when he did the Michael baby thing. That was priceless.

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

We aren’t all anti Eminem here. I already posted in support of his talents earlier in this thread. I think Tony’s use of the words “rap” and “artists” in inverted commas suggests that he doesn’t really care the genre, so it’s not really worth arguing the point.

James27

Post by James27 »

Is Elvis bigger than Eminem?
Is Berlusconi a maffia-linked power-hungry but really oh so pathetic moron, without any political insight or basic human morals, desperately trying to compensate for his height?

Was Ghandi one of the good guys?

Does Egypt have pyramids?

Do catfish sting when handled the wrong way?

Are Marlon Brando, Jack Nicholson and Sean Connery COOL?

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

genesim

Post by genesim »

Rockin Rebel my apology. I actually read your post, and I didn't mean to lump you in :D

As for James 27, keep that stuff to yourself about Jack Nicholson. About Schmidt is a masterpiece. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. lol

All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for noone-Tony Montana

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Genesism I don't deny Eminems made an impact and he does have talent but don't try to justify his music and take for granted the message he sends out to kids. I have two teenage kids so they are constantly surrounded by their friends and I don't like the way the kids of today are headed. To encourage boys to call women bitches and ho's is low class but has now become acceptable in a society where being a "thug" is looked upon by todays youth as cool, that's the reason he gets under my skin. As far as any comparison to Elvis, there is none. Twenty five years after his death Elvis is still the measuring stick to which anybody famous is compared to.

James27

Post by James27 »

As for James 27, keep that stuff to yourself about Jack Nicholson. About Schmidt is a masterpiece. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. lol
I don't know what you're talking about genesim. Either you don't think Jack is cool, or you do. I tend to think you meant it as irony, but with you one can never be sure... You like to stir in the pot, don't you? :)

And as far as About Schmidt is concerned, I do think that was a good picture. A welcome relief after the millionth heartless, mindless Hollywood blockbuster...

Joe Krein interview with Sherril Nielsen: "YOU KNOW YOU FORGET HOW GOOD HE REALLY WAS. I SAID MY GOODNESS. YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE WITH HIM YOU ARE SO WRAPPED UP DOING THE SHOW, BUT HERE NOW 20 YEARS LATER, I HEAR HIM AND REALIZE WHAT A GREAT TALENT HE WAS. HE WAS THE REAL DEAL.

rick

Post by rick »

I don't like Eminem's abusive language and some of his lyrical subjects, but at the risk of losing favour on this board I think he is a hugely talented writer. Try to forget the strong language and listen to the rhymes at work and the personal nature of his songs. He also has a sense of humour and disses his own singing ability. The beats are also cool.
His reference to Elvis in `Without Me' recognised the fact that he and our man have both taken `black' music into a wider domain.
One of the earlier posts said that only in 50 years time would we be able to judge who is greater. I agree but obviously at this stage Eminem can't adequately compare to Elvis. He would have to change with the times, reinvent himself and try new styles to hold a candle to Elvis' legacy. Let's see how he's going in 2023 or 25 years after his death.
His acting isn't bad, though. `8 Mile' is not unlike `Loving You' in style and there's two references to Elvis.
I'll always be an Elvis fan number one but it doesn't hurt to have a broader taste.

rick

Joe Lightcloud

Post by Joe Lightcloud »

Genesim,

Are you an Elvis Presley fan, because it's sounds to me like you support this Emanm guy.

Sounds to me like your on the wrong board. :?:

Joe Lightcloud

Hank Williams - 1950

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

It's possible to like more than one kind of music. I've got a couple of Eminem CD's and while I won't be playing them when Mum comes to visit, I consider them to be pretty clever and listenable additions to my broad CD collection.

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

genesim

Post by genesim »

Joe am I a Elvis fan? Are you serious? I won't even justify that. To be certain I am on the right board. I support great artists. Eminem may not be Elvis presley, but he does have charisma which is one thing they have in common. Like Gene Simmons said "I can like steak and cheesecake"

To clear up something just read my post carefully. It is just a opinion...and yes James27 I do like to stir the pot, from time to time. I didn't like what I read. I understand people have different opinions, but at the same time some of it sounded like pure ignorance. It is nice to get some good responses though.

James27 I was being sarcastic. Glad you liked the movie. Made me cry like a women at the end. It is movies like that, that get to me, and make me want to quit my job and do something....too bad I just THINK about it. lol

To make this more about Elvis. I do agree that Elvis was hit with some of the same kinds of criticism. Elvis was ripped apart for doing his dance on Milton Berle. To this day, I can still see the suggestion. Almost like the Beavis and Butthead dance. At first I didn't think that Eminem was taping into the black audience till I heard a lot of young black kids listening. Like most artists the message gets lost and it turns into something else. Eminem was putting out a genuine message from being frustrated. If you wonder about his intentions listen to the infinite album that he failed with. Elvis is comparative in the same way. His 50's material is clinged to still. Elvis wanted to move on as will Eminem...eventually. Still the message is the same Rebellion. Going against the establishment. It is just different language...culture if you will. It is not the same time as it was before. Movies today have tons of cussing and rapes and murders...but I say Pulp Fiction, Boogie Nights, Scarface is right up there with some of the best movies ever made. Why is somebody criticized for cussing on record but with movies it is ok? THere is a parental advisory. Though I agree it should be enforced more, it still is there. You guys think Elvis was prim and proper. Listen to the lyrics closer. For that time it was the equivalent. Even now Elvis says a few things that are at least a little under the skin.