Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Cinema considered 1st rate culture but not pop music. Why?

Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:44 pm

I've noticed that it is very common to see intellectuals talk and write about cinema as if they were talking and writing about literature, painting or other manifestation of art. The most prominent representatives of culture are very frequently great fans of cinema and show high respect for all the persons involved in that industry: directors, scriptwriters, actors. But regarding pop music the thing is very different, almost all of these intellectuals not only do not appreciate popular music but they even look down on it. They only give attention to classic music and in popular music they at the most accept some songwriters like Dylan and Leonard Cohen (Joan Manuel Serrat in Spain). Perhaps some of them could appreciate The Beatles but in general terms popular music is considered as 2nd rate culture and a thing for young and not intellectually mature people. What I'm doing now is a generalization and of course could be some intellectuals who love popular music and give it their highest consideration but in general I think that the situation is like I've said before. What do you think about this?

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Intellectuals can talk about what the artist meant on his paintings. Then someone said the paintings they just discussed were done by apes, not humans.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Ramiro,
This belongs in the Off Topic section of the board.

Tom

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:39 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Ramiro,
This belongs in the Off Topic section of the board.

Tom

Sorry, sometimes I forget that there are different forums here.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:14 pm

Ramiro, add some more of your thoughts on the subject and we may get an interesting debate going.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Sorry for the delay, I went out some days. Thank you Maurice, I think that this topic has quite to do with Elvis because a great part of the bad image that Elvis has to the intellectuals and to the media that bring people the information about Elvis, is due to the poor consideration that they have about Elvis' films. James Dean reached the status of genius with three movies and Elvis was hardly recognized with all his contribution in the field of popular music. I think that Elvis did some important contributions to the industry of cinema and particularly to the musical cinema, but it has been spread by the media that Elvis was a bad actor and his movies crap and then the intellectuals simply threw Elvis to the trash. The pop music is unfairly considered a 2nd rate culture and I bet that if Frank Sinatra hadn't been involved in some good movies through his career he never would have had the glamourous image that he has to the intellectuals and the media in general. Regarding music, Elvis had too the bad luck of being accused of betraying Rock And Roll by doing other kinds of music and movies and his image was seriously damaged for young people. Never was properly recognized the great impact of Elvis not only in rock and pop music but in the field of the great entertainers and performers, the situation is improving lately but we come from the bottom of a well. The media always focussed on the worst things about Elvis and many of them, as we know, even were false.

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:02 pm

Ramiro wrote:I think that this topic has quite to do with Elvis because a great part of the bad image that Elvis has to the intellectuals and to the media that bring people the information about Elvis, is due to the poor consideration that they have about Elvis' films.

And you would be wrong. This is definitely an Off Topic subject.

Tom

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:13 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Ramiro wrote:I think that this topic has quite to do with Elvis because a great part of the bad image that Elvis has to the intellectuals and to the media that bring people the information about Elvis, is due to the poor consideration that they have about Elvis' films.

And you would be wrong. This is definitely an Off Topic subject.

Tom

Yes, but someone answered to me and I'm talking about music and cinema but related to Elvis.