Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Suspicious Minds 1974

Wed May 31, 2006 5:13 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0i3Tsw ... ch=presley

When did Elvis officially dump this tune?

Wed May 31, 2006 5:23 pm

August 19, 1975 in Las Vegas during the dinner show was the last time.

Wed May 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Thanks Rob..just curious

Wed May 31, 2006 5:47 pm

The summer tour of -74 was the last time when he played it as standard in the setlist. Did he ever do it i Vegas august/sept -74 or the october tour of -74?

Regards//Björn

Wed May 31, 2006 5:52 pm

He performed the song on August 30, 1974 in Vegas per a request.

Wed May 31, 2006 7:39 pm

jak wrote:I always thought it was a shame he didnt keep this song in his lineup and stick to more of a stripped down rendition like the 69 versions.Ronnie Tutt made a comment once that Elvis hated performing that song.
Jak

He also commented that for us. Here it is the inteview:

http://www.elvisbrasil.com/epbrasil/ron ... nglish.htm

Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:12 am

My problem with Yourtube is that the video's stutter every 3 seconds so it's nor really watchable (waiting two seconds for each 3 seconds of video is not really what i like) :cry:

Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:35 am

Ales Majer wrote:My problem with Yourtube is that the video's stutter every 3 seconds so it's nor really watchable (waiting two seconds for each 3 seconds of video is not really what i like) :cry:

Then press the pause botton, let the file buffer up and then press play when the bar below has filled. It wont stutter then.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:12 am

Elvis does a pretty good job on Suspicious Minds per a request from the audience on August 18, 1975... I believe the second to last time he ever peformed the song. He collected a number of written requests in a box and read through them on stage. It was caught on an audience recorded import called "Las Vegas In Gypsy Style".

On the import, "1975 Summer Festival" there's an audience recording of SM from the August 19, 1975 show. It's missing a few seconds in the middle and also missing the last 20 seconds or so, but a pretty good performance. I believe it's the last time he ever performed the song.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:58 am

I think by 1973, Elvis should've switched from this song. I can't bear to hear the Aloha version, i can bear to see it, cause there are some great movements in it, but listen to how tired he sounds. It does'nt sound good to my ears. Don't mention the 74 versions, by then, Elvis should've dropped it from his setlist, it became like a 50's throwaway for fancy movements. Mind you though, i would've liked if he'd have done it in Lincoln 77 on the last tour..........

Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:59 am

Matthew wrote:
Ales Majer wrote:My problem with Yourtube is that the video's stutter every 3 seconds so it's nor really watchable (waiting two seconds for each 3 seconds of video is not really what i like) :cry:

Then press the pause botton, let the file buffer up and then press play when the bar below has filled. It wont stutter then.

Thanks for the tip! :D

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:07 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I think by 1973, Elvis should've switched from this song. I can't bear to hear the Aloha version, i can bear to see it, cause there are some great movements in it, but listen to how tired he sounds. It does'nt sound good to my ears. Don't mention the 74 versions, by then, Elvis should've dropped it from his setlist, it became like a 50's throwaway for fancy movements.

Right. In fact, he should have ditched the song in 1970. It's obvious he didn't care for the song after that (and don't get me started on the "shove it up your nose" joke). The later versions of "Suspicious Minds" are almost as bad as "Why Me Lord". Two good songs which EP treated like sh*t.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:09 am

By 1972 he was already bored with it. Shoulda been dropped after 1970.

BTW, what's the show where he sings "i hate this deleted - see guidelines #2 song so much baby.." or something like that during the slow part?

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:37 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:In fact, he should have ditched the song in 1970. It's obvious he didn't care for the song after that.

I agree with many things you say, but not this time. Whether Elvis was tired of the song or not, it should not have been removed from the show by 1970. It was the audience who paid for the show and they expected to hear it at that time. Even if he didn't sing it with the same vigor a few years later, the audience still loved seeing and hearing him perform the song. I saw him do it myself in June 1974 and I can tell you that the audience loved it. Hearing the song 400 times on various CD's is still not like having him perform it right in front of you.

I paid a whole $8.50 to go see him and by God I wanted to hear Suspicious Minds!

Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:48 pm

I like the 1972 versions of Suspicious Minds, I don't much care for the Aloha performance but to be honest I don't much care for the Aloha show at all really...apart from American Trilogy and the only fully realised multi track live recording of Burning Love there isn't much else in that show I like.

Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:00 pm

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:In fact, he should have ditched the song in 1970. It's obvious he didn't care for the song after that.

I agree with many things you say, but not this time. Whether Elvis was tired of the song or not, it should not have been removed from the show by 1970. It was the audience who paid for the show and they expected to hear it at that time. Even if he didn't sing it with the same vigor a few years later, the audience still loved seeing and hearing him perform the song. I saw him do it myself in June 1974 and I can tell you that the audience loved it. Hearing the song 400 times on various CD's is still not like having him perform it right in front of you.

I paid a whole $8.50 to go see him and by God I wanted to hear Suspicious Minds!

Haha. Yeah, I see your point.

Of course, there were many other hits he didn't play. Perhaps the problem for EP wasn't so much the songs but the fact that he played the same songs show after show, year after year. He could've used other hits to get more variation.

It's weird but I do love the later versions of "Burning Love", another song Elvis didn't like at all (or so they say).

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:33 am

^heh, opinions differ. IMO Burning Love was NEVER done properly. It was such a brilliant song perfect for Elvis and even the studio version was tossed away after 6 or so takes. And live it was always rushed, not bad but just lacked the drive somehow.

I do love Elvis' rendition but it could and should have been so much better. I agree the Aloha version is probably the best there is.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:35 pm

I can't agree with Elvis dropping the song in 1970. Some of his best evrsions come from that year, especially the Thats the way it is concerts. I like the 1972 versions to be honest, there is heaps of electricity in those versions. Especially Ronnie Tutt! 8)