Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Concerts recorded/filmed for Elvis On Tour.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:27 am

Reading the linernotes by Colin Escott regarding this project one might get the impression that more concerts than just the four well-known ones were recorded/filmed. What do you think? He says many concerts were recorded and filmed during the April 1972 tour, so...

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:51 am

It's just beyond belief that so much Elvis concerts can be filmed,
and 26 yrs after we are still hoping for something to get released on DVD/Video. :(

8)

Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:40 am

yeah, I agree! All this great stuff and so little released by now. To give an example; Led ZeppelinĀ“s guitarist Jimmy Page went to New York some months ago to get an overview on filmmaterial of Zeppelin, a few months later we can now enjoy 5 hours and 20 minutes of mostly unseen material spenning the years 1969-79 in great picture and sound quality. That really says a lot about both him and EPE if you ask me!

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:01 pm

The general consensus is that the concerts in Hampton (evening show), Richmond, Greensboro and San Antonio were filmed and recorded. Surely the entire shows were recorded on professional audiotape, but it is uncertain how much of the shows was actually filmed.
In addition, there is some footage from the opening show in Buffalo made with a handheld camera (video camera, some say). There is no sound to this footage, though.
The Doc would know more about this.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:50 pm

I don't know if anybody of you has noticed, but there has to be at least one more show on film (or at least snippets of this show).

During the "Love me tender" sequence, there is a very short snippet of Elvis wearing the "White Spectrum Suit" complete with cape and a light blue scarf while bending down to a girl - this is right before you can hear him say "last one".

This indicates that not only the hotel scene but further more some parts of the Macon show were also filmed that night on April 15.

I wonder if we will ever get to know to what extent this show was filmed and if any part of that clip will ever see the light of day... :?

*Grmpf*...most probably not :evil:

Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:03 pm

As I understand it there was a documentary crew headed by Pierre Adidge, that filmed all of the candid footage, and presumably (judging by the clip mentioned in the previous thread) could have shot footage at additional concerts that are not known to have been filmed in their entirety. We can also add to this the silent footage (one camera) from the opening show in Buffalo, NY which was filmed in it s entirety.

The four concerts that were definitely filmed were recorded completely by RCA and should also exist in their entirety on film in the MGM vaults. The Guralnick book “Careless Love” makes reference to this, and states that the cameras used to film the “On Tour” concert footage were more advanced than those used for “TTWII”, and at least one camera should have been filming at all times.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:25 pm

but if the Opening show was filmed in silence without sound and if they have multitracksoundboard they can do a overdub .. ?

Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:41 pm

I agree that the video career of Elvis needs a spin - as we didn't have the 'Ernst' of the video side of Elvis career.

Still Aloha is the only official entire concert marketed. Yes TTWII SE wanted to create a concert feeling, but it is not a 70s show and it seems to be more oriented toward Elvis the image then Elvis the artist (the show itself) the reharsal are great things and are more interesting that the show itself for me.

But on tour has great stuff too in terms of reharsal in studio - a real studio - and of shows. Come on this is Elvis on the road I am sure they can make up a box set like the one mentioned for Led Zeppelin. I mean I see so much quality and artistic things done for other artist of Elvis it is always so image oriented.

Let's see how they are going to present Aloha. But that is not only a concert that is a media event (Television show to all audiences) and a a entertainment event (live record, entertaining the entire world). That deservs, interviews, advertismnet of the times, different footage etc the entire sessions that came after the actul show.

we are talking here about history of Music with capitol M.

Probem is that videos are owned by dfferent companies music only by 1.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:58 am

Yeah, it says it took Jimmy Page over 20 years to get around to it. EPE/BMG have been putting stuff out during the time Page wasn't.

ON TOUR!

Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:16 am

Let's hope, after finishing the projects of Aloha and NBC '68, that ON TOUR will be the next great project to come.
And then let's have all the concerts that were filmed! Properly done with the latest techonlogy in both sound and picture! Let it be worth the wait!