Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

what was the very first elvis bootleg?

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:48 am

were bootlegs issued during elvis' lifetime, or is it strictly posthumous industry?

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:55 am

I think it was "The Hollywood Sessions" on the Flashback label.

Nashnet

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:57 am

what year did it come out?

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:01 am

First ever Elvis bootleg was an LP called 'Please Release Me' back in the early 70's I believe - bootlegs were sold outside Elvis concert venues during the 70's if I'm not mistaken.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:05 am

Clint, I admire your enterprising endeavors in creating customized avatars.
But where do you keep getting these pix of Elvis smoking joints?

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:07 am

nashnet wrote:I think it was "The Hollywood Sessions" on the Flashback label.

Wrong -- The Hollywood Sessions is a late eighties "import" CD, made up of material first issued on vinyl (Behind Closed Doors box set) in 1979.

It is claimed that the Please Release Me LP from 1970 was the first Presley bootleg, coming in the wake of successful "private" LPs by Dylan, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones in the previous year.

Following Elvis' death in August 1977 up to mid-1983, the "import" LP field went wild covering the many gaps -- Sun alternates, the 1956-57 TV appearances, the June 1968 tapings, acetates from 1958-1971, mono session outtakes from the early 1960s -- that RCA, his official company left open. After a major European bust, things got very quiet until the CD revolution in the late 1980s.

With the birth of the FTD label, it seems that import CDs of any significance are getting few and far in between. The new 2001 label release of unissued, alternate May 1966 gospel material is apparently one of these.

God bless!

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:10 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:Clint, I admire your enterprising endeavors in creating customized avatars.
But where do you keep getting these pix of Elvis smoking joints?

;)

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:27 am

Clinton Heylin's book "Bootleg" indicates that "The Hillbilly Cat" was the first Elvis bootleg released some time in 1970. According to Heylin, Elvis wasn't widely bootlegged, at least on a professional level, until 1975/6 when some fans in Europe started reassessing his legacy and put out some high quality boots. The turning point was a release called "Good Rocking Tonight" which featured Elvis on one side and other Sun artists on the other. When Elvis died the Elvis boot industry exploded.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:39 am

Our very own Elvis-collectors website lists "The Hollywood Sessions" album as the first bootleg on CD (which is what I was referring to). I realize that the reviewer of that CD could be mistaken, however.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:55 am

nashnet wrote:Our very own Elvis-collectors website lists "The Hollywood Sessions" album as the first bootleg on CD (which is what I was referring to). I realize that the reviewer of that CD could be mistaken, however.

The query asked about the existence of bootlegs during Elvis' time. CDs became commonplace circa 1984 -- for all of Elvis' career, LPs (vinyl) were the format.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:59 am

The Lee Cotten/Howard DeWitt book Jailhouse Rock: The Bootleg Records of Elvis Presley 1970-1983 lists Please Release Me as "probably" the first Elvis 'vinyl' boot (circa 1970). It is thought to have originated in Holland and its cover featured a pen and ink drawing of Elvis in concert. The Hillbilly Cat (Rockin' Records 002) was another 1970 release, this time from Canada.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:14 am

It is very difficult to track the history of bootlegs because some originals were made in quantities of less than 250. In the early 1970's these were mainly traded or sold by fan clubs. As demand grew, there were more pressings made and that is why some have 6 or 7 pressings. I was reading the october 1974 issue of "strictly elvis", and they mentioned that no less than 15 bootlegs have come out in the last 18 months. Back then they warned elvis fans about the "terrible quality" and to stay clear of them. Apparently they were more expensive than a normal LP at the time. By the time of elvis' death most of these had already been pressed so a lot of post death issues were in fact re-issues. the lee cottom book is a great source, but fan mags like strictly elvis is good because it tells it as history happened. I think some of cottons dates are wrong because of the difficulty in documenting this kind of thing. For example if the first know documentation was 1977, its more than likely this record had been released in the 1973-76 era, but so few were put out and can't be documented. The book hillbilly cat, has mention of the Uncle penn boot 45 that was available in 1955 on a pirated sun label. The first boot i ever bought was at a regular record store and it was the dorsey shows LP. Then it really got fun.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:44 am

The first boot lp's that i got, go back to 1972, and i used them for a three hour radio special. At that time single lp's were $8.98 and 2 lp sets like the Burbank Sessions were $12.98

Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:49 am

Barry wrote:The first boot lp's that i got, go back to 1972, and i used them for a three hour radio special. At that time single lp's were $8.98 and 2 lp sets like the Burbank Sessions were $12.98

The Burbank Sessions, Vol. 1 was issued in late 1978, with Volume 2 in early 1979. Each set cost about $20.00 USD.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:45 am

Anyone remotely interested can check out http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/hotel/1116/index.htm

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:37 pm

was the first bootleg (any artist) -ever- Bob Dylan live at Royal albert hall ?? that one they released officially a few years ago

Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:48 pm

Hi y'all!

Speaking of boots...

Is it only me, or is virtually EVERY so called "Import cd" produced in Europe?
Fort Baxter, DAE, Rock Legends, Vicky etc etc
If my memory serves me right, I can't recall to have seen ANY "Import cd" produced in the US?

Br
Kristian

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:38 pm

Re - Burbank Sessions. I used it only as an example of what the cost was for a 2 lp set back in those days, and Doc i have a bootleg booklet that shows Burbank 1 and 2 at ---12.98.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:45 pm

Kristian I heard few years ago that many bootlegs was pressed in Italy
maybe they produeced them somewhere else but the discs are made i Italy, but know I don't know where

Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:10 pm

Hm, Italy - isn't that Europe? :)

Interesting point of view - for me as a german actually :D

Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:29 pm

To Luuk:

Thanks for sharing the link.

The one who has written this unbelievable list must have had nothing but time :)

Brilliant works and thanks again.

Kind regards, Jörn

Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:52 pm

Yes I too have all of my old bootleg catalogues and burbank sessions did cost $12.98.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:30 pm

yes Italy is Europe...... but I see Europe as many different countries I f i shall go to USA and someone ask me whre do you come from I would not say Europe....
Last edited by elvis_king on Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:45 am

Hello Elvis_King,

I didn't want to offend you ... I was just kidding. I'm sorry if you understand it the wrong way. It was not my intention, but the question was, if there were any import-cd's that were produced outside of Europe... that's all...

So I think Elvis found a lot more reputation in Europe than he did in his home country. Maybe that's the reason why most import-CD's were produced in Europe than anywhere else...

Kind regards, Jörn

Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:11 am

1970 Please Realease Me
1971 I Wanna Be A Rock n' Roll Star
The Hillbilly Cat Live
1972 Live Experience,Feb. 71
1973 The Monologue
From the Dark To The Light
Tv Guide Presents Elvis
King of Las Vegas Live

These are the vinyl imports I bought in the above-mentioned years.Then things really exploded in 1974 when two Americans decided to co-operate
and released high-class albums which whetted the appetite of Elvis-fans.

I Wanna Be A Rock n' Roll Star is an extended version of Please Release Me and to me represents the ultimate in vinyl bootlegs.

It seems that at least 29 different albums were made before Aug.1977.
Not all of them have been improved on import-cd's since then.