Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New Ernst Jorgensen Book And New CD

Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:50 pm

From http://www.elvisnews.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Ernst Jorgensen Book And New CD

Ernst Jorgensen is working on a new book on Elvis recordingcareer with SUN. The book starts on the day when Elvis started as a young man "as a singer-artist" and runs until the day he left the Sun Studio. According to Jorgensen "there are so many story's, anecdotes, local magazines / journal reviews, unknown or rare / unpublished pictures we have rarely or never seen before" that he can fill a new book.

The book doesn't have a title yet, only a working title. The release is scheduled for next year, around the same time as the celebration of the 50th Annversary of the start of Elvis' recording career.

To celebrate Elvis first recording there will be a CD release on either the BMG Heritage label, or on the FTD label in 2004. More information on that when we have it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich

Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:00 pm

It seems feasible that content of the CD release will reflect the content of Ernst’s new book. A new Sun collection looks like a possibility.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:27 pm

Although it would have a short running time by CD standards I'd like to see a CD with just the 10 SUN masters in pristine sound. As we know, BMG now has the "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine" master and with the new techniques all 10 SUN masters can be presented in their best sound to date.

Outtakes, demos, etc. can be presented in another package for the collectors. I think a single CD of the 10 SUN masters would appeal to the general public and certainly to connoisseurs of the beginnings of rock 'n' roll.

Mystery Train

Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:11 pm

Wonderful news!

I don't care too much about the CD, since I already own "Sunrise", but I really, really look forward to reading the book -- I'm sure it will be FANTASTIC!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:44 pm

I wonder if any new facts will emerge.

Firstly Ernst is not a research/historian/writer of any great note.

Colin Escott has covered this area in depth over many years.

Those who were alive and with intimate knowledge of those days are now either dead, senile or have very selective memoris a la Sam Phillips. Not enough people are still around to arrive at a factual balanced account.

I have a fear that this book and the associated CD may be an expensive combined deal as has previously happened with FTD.

With all respect to Ernst - it's one thing to use the huge resources of RCA and volumes of recording notes to produce a "Life In Music"" then to write a similar book on the Sun days with scant resources.

I would welcome a Colin Escott/Peter Guralnick/Gregg Marcus combined or solo efforts - these guys are real researchers :!:

Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:56 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I wonder if any new facts will emerge.

The answer to that will certainly be "yes."

KiwiAlan wrote:Firstly Ernst is not a research/historian/writer of any great note. Colin Escott has covered this area in depth over many years.

How untrue. Jorgensen's "A Life In Music" is a superb history, well-researched and written. I learned <u>more</u> about Elvis and his music by reading it -- quite an achievement. Escott has crafted decent liner notes for many recent Presley discs, but his frequent factual errors seem to imply he does not have the passion for Elvis that he does for, say, Hank Williams. Ernst will do a magnificent job on the Sun era.

KiwiAlan wrote:With all respect to Ernst - it's one thing to use the huge resources of RCA and volumes of recording notes to produce a "Life In Music"" then to write a similar book on the Sun days with scant resources.

Will all due respect, you don't know exactly what resources will be used, so calling them "scant" is a misnomer.

KiwiAlan wrote:I would welcome a Colin Escott/Peter Guralnick/Gregg Marcus combined or solo efforts - these guys are real researchers :!:

Who is "Gregg Marcus"?

Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:23 pm

I’m inclined to agree with DJC here. “ A Life In Music” was an excellent book that provided both a fascinating insight into Elvis’ creative process, and excellent reference on his recorded legacy.

It’s also worth noting that Ernst worked on the recording sessions book “Reconsider Baby” back in 1984, before he became involved with RCA (to my knowledge), and as the book provided information that was new to many collectors at the time of it’s release, he must surely be capable of researching, and finding new information.

I expect Ernst will do justice to the Sun years with his new book, and wouldn’t be surprised if the book does uncover new facts about this significant period of the Presley career.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:35 am

Of course the new book will unearth new facts............new books ALWAYS do, they have to have their selling point (hook).

Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:44 am

Ez wrote:Of course the new book will unearth new facts............new books ALWAYS do, they have to have their selling point (hook).

When it comes to Elvis books this isn’t always the case.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:15 am

Okay Griel Marcus? I don't have his book ready to hand.

My point of scant resources was related purely to the fact that SUN kept no session notes, no recording logs and no guidance with take numbers etc - unlike the wealth of information held in RCA vaults. Unless some new repository has turned up.

I hope that there is a lot of new material and not just a rehash of that previously available.

My reference to Escott is due to the very fact that he has written books about the SUN studios and produced a SUN discography. And we all know the talents of Guralnick and Mr Marcus.

All three must have a huge store of information covering the period.

A new book does not mean new information - the Elvis world has so many examples of this.

I mean no disrespect to Ernst - his book well used and very worn by me me- so much that I bought a second copy. I just feel that others would be better qualified.

In my very humble OPINION :lol:

Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:33 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Those who were alive and with intimate knowledge of those days are now either dead, senile or have very selective memoris a la Sam Phillips. Not enough people are still around to arrive at a factual balanced account.

I don't think Scotty Moore, D.J. Fontana nor Sam Philips are all that senile. But they probably don't have much new Sun-era Elvis information to add - after all the interviews given during all these years.
There might be some information of interest to find in written sources, though. Like 50s newspapers and archives of zB radiostations or music journalists.

Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:28 am

Maybe there's a wealth of forgotten information. Jorgensen stated on the Elvis News site that there are a lot of published clips from that time that have been ignored or never used in Elvis' histories. Either way it's always interesting to read contemporary press accounts of Elvis.

I found one under my floorboards years ago announcing Elvis' signing with RCA. Elvis was described as sounding "a little like Johnnie Ray" and "looking a little like Marlon Brando".

Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:21 pm

"A Life in Music" got me more interested in Elvis than I was before I read it. That book turned me into a true fanatic. It's incredibly well written and researched.

I have no doubts whatsoever about his new book!

And when he's done whit this one, I hope he goes on to work on a similiar book about Elvis' Nashville recordings, comlete with artwork for all albums and singles plus Ernst's opinion on them...

Keith Richards, Jr.