Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The next box set

Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:16 pm

this is just guessing game, but as we know it'll be the 50th anniversary of the recording of "That's All Right Mama" next year. So how about one more box celebrating that, like:

disc1
- kicking in with the master of "that's all right"
- a live show from 54
- a live show from 57 (if possible)
- and some alternates from the 50s

disc2
- more alternates from the 60s Nashville sessions (though i guess they're coming out of ears already...)

disc3
- alternates from the '69 Amercian Studio sessions, as being a pivotal corner stone in Elvis' career

disc4
- and rapping it up with the return to Memphis 20 years after it all started, with the complete March 20th 1974 concert in Memphis

titled "The Revolution"

... and make it better still, how about releaseing all this as a 5.1 SACD (Hybrid) box? Another interesting option would be to see a box of Elvis' greatest masters as an SACD.

A

Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:24 pm

I think a set that concentrates exclusively on the Sun years is more likely. There are rumours that BMG may have acquired an unreleased Sun acetate, and if this is the case, this would be the major selling point of the set.

The 1974 Memphis concert now fits into the deleted albums category, and I think if BMG do have any plans for a re-issue/upgrade of this set, FTD seems the likely outlet.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:29 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I think a set that concentrates exclusively on the Sun years is more likely. There are rumours that BMG may have acquired an unreleased Sun acetate, and if this is the case, this would be the major selling point of the set.

The 1974 Memphis concert now fits into the deleted albums category, and I think if BMG do have any plans for a re-issue/upgrade of this set, FTD seems the likely outlet.

Well, maybe so, but I would remind that it wasn't the Sun years alone that made E great. Had he ended his career after 1955, we wouldn't be talking here tonight...

A

Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:47 pm

Well, maybe so, but I would remind that it wasn't the Sun years alone that made E great. Had he ended his career after 1955, we wouldn't be talking here tonight...A

Agreed, but BMG’s last three box sets have provided two career overviews in the shape of “Platinum” and “TT&F” and we now have the “Close Up” set that explores four different themes.

There is a need for a comprehensive Sun collection as the “Sunrise” set was far from complete, and there are still a number of alternate takes that have only seen an official release on vinyl. Add to this the possibility of previously un-heard acetate, all the masters, demos and alternates, the live recordings from that period, and the Million Dollar Quartet recordings, and the set would prove to be an essential piece of rock ‘n’ roll history.

The version of “Don’t Forbid Me”/”You Belong To My Heart” from the MDQ session that was issued on the “TT&F” set was also taken from a different (and possibly) more complete source tape than what was used for the original BMG CD issue of this material, and it does seem likely that BMG would want to issue the whole thing at some point.

I’m sure whatever approach Ernst does decide to take; he will provide a fitting tribute to this landmark event in the Presley career.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:49 pm

If it goes SACD i hope it will be a hybrid
I wait to buy a CD/SACD/DVD-A multiplayer a few years to we get cheaper players
Last edited by elvis_king on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:27 pm

It will never go SACD - according to Billboard a couple of months ago RCA is going the DVD A route and announcement of the first releases will be made shortly.

My guess is that the next box will contain one CD of "surprises" from Sun studios and "new" Hayride material. There could be enough here to carry through to the 2005 box.

I would also expect that the 2006 Box will feature the 1956 TV performances in much improved sound, the mix we now have (Golden Celebration) is of 1985 vintage.

Also the 1961 Hawaii concert must be coming due for a recycle :wink:

Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:38 am

Personally,I hope if there is anymore box-sets to be put out, they start upgrading the masters..
The 50s box,60s box and a complete 70s box this time...

Next box set

Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:47 am

I would love to see a box of nothing but Sun era material. Whether it is only Sun stuff or includes Hayride material and concert stuff, pre-RCA. I am mainly a fan of the 70's but am starting to really appreciate the music that started it all. How about the long lost Grand Ole' Opry? Anyone want to fess up to having a tape of this? Anyone? Please?!?

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:12 am

RCA has already released DVD-A with E-1 back in December. I'm sure this is the format they will use.

I think an all Memphis box set would be good.

Sun sides
American sessions
Stax
Graceland sessions

RKS

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:45 am

If they have some new, adequate recordings, I'd go for a sun era release.

About the TV-show recordings on Golden Celebration, that could be interesting.
However, I don't think the sound could be improved drastically. Just listen to the Little Rock concert on the TTF set. Without hifi headphones it is hard to notice any difference, when compared with the 40+ previous releases of the same show.
But a full CD including overdubs (like they did on This is Elvis) would be nice, I think.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:22 am

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Elvis' SUN days. However I do think this material should be given a nice box set. I like the suggestion of having
all the pre-rca stuff on the box. All available outtakes, masters, demos, live recordings and as a bonus add the million dollar quartet to the last CD. I wouldn't mind owning a box set like this.

I'm now kind of getting to appreciate his SUN recordings more than I did in the past and I hope that RCA does something to Celebrate his first release. :)

Just my opinion.

-GEORGE.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:26 am

everyone has made some great suggestions concerning Elvis box sets. I, too, hope they reissue the Masters boxes, as well, new ones concerning the Memphis sessions and '56 tv appearances, but I am definetely in favor for the ULTIMATE SUN records box set! I gotta admit, I don't play 'em that often,but when I do, they stay in the player for awhile! I loved the "Sunrise" cd's, but would have liked to seen the "Elvis RAW" material on this release, rather than the barely audible Hayride performances...still, a MUST to have though..I also enjoyed picking up the "Roots Revolution" cd while I was in Memphis last year. I really hope that RCA is planning sumthin' for the SUN years on their next box set, whatever the theme...

Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:26 pm

I’m not against the idea of an eventual upgrade of the masters box sets, but I think the 50th anniversary of Elvis’ recording of “That’s All Right”, and the publicity it is likely to generate, is worthy of a new release, and it does present BMG with the ideal opportunity to present the definitive Sun collection which would appeal to both the fan and the casual buyer. It’s also pleasing to see that there are a number of other fans that are also in favour of this idea.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:22 pm

Rockinrebel, I love your picture!

Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:16 pm

It looks as though a SUN cd set isn't going to happen next year. According to Elvis news only a CD will be released. Oh well maybe someday. :(