Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTDs the true collectible or a farce?

Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:05 am

Am I alone in believing that the FTDs are going to be the true collectible CDs 20 years from now?
With such a limited release you would think that these should turn out to be pretty rare.
Or do you think FTD will continue to produce say.... The Jungle Room Sessions for example, as long as there is a market?

Tony

Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:18 am

FTD will not last forever.

Enjoy and appreciate it .... while it is here.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:38 pm

I really don't care how available they make these titles. The more the merrier. Keep them available for new fans I say. So long as I have my copy to listen to. And it would be nice if something happened to one of my discs to be able to re-purchase that title.

Just my opinion. :D

Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:58 pm

I have all (minus 2) FTD releases, and never bought them as an investment. I'd rather have FTD sell 100.000 of a title, than just a limited 5000. I really hope that there will still be new fans 15 years from now, and it would be a shame if they need to pay $50 for a FTD release, just because they're rare.....

Elvis for Everyone :lol:

Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:34 pm

The problem I have found with the FTD label, are the frequency of the releases.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to release fewer CDs, over a longer time period?

With new box sets and official BMG products, it's hard to find the money to also purchase the FTD products.

I appreciate the label. It's a wonderful opportunity for fans to own the recordings which would never get to see the light of day.

As far as value goes; I only buy them because I listen to them. They are bound to be an investment, due to the limited amount they produce.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:59 pm

Getlo - we don't need fewer, we need more.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:36 pm

You are right Spellbinder - silly me! :oops:

What I meant was fewer CD's per year. At least it would then give you enough time to keep up with them (and have enough money to buy them!). I'm all for as many FTD CD's as possible, I'd just like the release dates to be spread out a little.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:49 pm

I’ve never been concerned about the value of any of the Elvis CD’s I buy. My interest is in the music, and not what the CD may be worth in several years time. Personally, I hope the FTD label continues to produce new copies of back catalogue titles, as this will enable new fans to buy them at a reasonable price.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:15 pm

Getlo - I don't think you understood me. We need more per year.

I am a collector

Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:19 pm

I love owning rare items. I own every regular issue cd so I have all the music I need.
I guess I just am not as Fuzzy and cuddlable as some.

Tony

Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:35 pm

The point I was trying to make is that my sole motivation for buying the discs is the music. You could argue that “Finding The Way Home” is more valuable than “From Elvis In Memphis”, but for me they both contain essential recordings by Elvis, and that’s the reason I bought them. I don’t plan on selling them, so their actual value doesn’t really concern me.

I’d rather pay £15 for a CD featuring music that I don’t already own, than £50-£100 for a promo disc that features a bunch of tracks that I’ve already got.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:30 am

I'm with you all the way Rockin' Rebel. Your last comments on your last posting were, indeed, the way fans should enjoy Elvis' music.
If anyone is into collecting for a profit, so be it. That's up to you. I do have some rarities as I'm sure most Elvis fans that have been collecting for years do. But, to me, it's the music 100% of the way.

jeff R

Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:35 am

I like some of the things I'm reading on this thread.

I've never bought anything in my collection for re-sell value or based upon investment quality / concerns. That's just me; glad to know there are others, as well.

N8
... just a fan ....

Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:36 am

I'm with you on this to Rockin', I buy it for the music not to make a profit.
Although collecting over the years some discs have become valuable, that's not what it's about for me. :)

8)

Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:41 am

i am the same way i buy it for the music
but for the vinyl thats a different story.

curtis simpkins

Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:28 am

Rockin-rebel i'm with you

Why pay expensive money for a CD because it is a promo and rare with one song you already have

It is more funny with a CD with new tracks you not have heard before

Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:01 am

There is nothing "exclusive" about the FTD-cd's. Despite initial promises by BMG. :(

The only different thing about the discs lies in the distribution and promotion of the material. By having both fields very limited, they can cut costs even more without actually running the risk of "missing" the market.

The people who'd buy the FTD's are well informed via websites like this one and Fanclubs about what is available. So that eliminates much of the promotional campaign usually associated with an album-release. Calling it a "Collecters Label" is just another marketing Gimmick of the record company.

BMG will continue to produce The Jungleroom Sessions (or any other title) as long as it makes more money then the costs of having the title available for the Fans.

ALL FOR THE MUSIC!

Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:11 am

If we think about our hero, gone for more than 25 years now, I think it's due time we have as much as we can! We have been waiting for this for so long, so keep 'em coming!
I buy every release RCA/BMG/FTD containing material I don't already have! And of course classics like E1 and the coming 2nd 2 None!
I buy any CD holding a take or version I don't have!
And I transfer my vinyl collection over to CD, so I can compare and continue saving the precious vinyl!

I am not sure...

Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:30 am

I am not sure everybody got what I was asking. I will buy FTD cds no matter if they sale for 1.00 apiece and you can buy them at a candy store.
My question was from a collectors point of view concerning the eventual rarity of this item (I think Ales Majer kinda got what I was gettin at).
I collect baseball cards, what makes them worth anything is the rarity of certain cards. Hence I was trying to get feedback from other Elvis Collectors to see if they thought these CDs would rise in value in the future.
For those who say "I don't care how much it is worth, I am just in it for the music"
I say Baloney
Anyone would love to own something they paid base price for and see it increase in value over the years. Regardless if they plan on selling their piece or not.
Just ask the people who happened on Almost In Love, or Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies Vol 1 for $8.99 when they first came out on cd. I am quite sure that they are extremely happy they picked up these rare cds at the price that they did.

Tony
[/i]

Re: I am not sure...

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:00 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:My question was from a collectors point of view concerning the eventual rarity of this item.

Rarity is always part of the appeal, but it depends upon the item. Some promos are very rare, but they don't appeal to me because there is nothing new on them.

As far as FTD's go, .......... it is far to early to judge "rarity". You'll just have to wait and see.

Blue-Gypsy wrote:For those who say "I don't care how much it is worth, I am just in it for the music"
I say Baloney.

Believe it or not, I said what I meant and I mean what I said. :wink:

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Just ask the people who happened on Almost In Love, or Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies Vol 1 for $8.99 when they first came out on cd. I am quite sure that they are extremely happy they picked up these rare cds at the price that they did.

I'm sure they are if they are going to resell them and, hopefully, get something even close to the "book values" of such items. I personally wouldn't pay any more than $8.99 for exactly some of those discs you mention .......... even today. I remember them when they came out on vinyl and still have them; they were cheap then and are still cheap now. The content isn't anything great either. To each their own, but I just don't see the appeal of of $100 USD Camden CD's.

N8
... just a fan ....

NOT INTERESTED OR....

Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:06 pm

It's surprising how many people I talk to who are supposed Elvis fans that have never bought ANY FTD CD's. I talk to quite a lot of folks at Elvis discos who just go there for the social side of it and to get drunk, who don't actually collect different recordings or rare vinyl/books/film etc.
Also, some FTD CD's such as "Fame and fortune", "6363 Sunset" don't state anywhere on the inside or outside covers that they are UNRELEASED OUT-TAKES!!! They just have the song titles on the back, so people pick them up and think "oh, I've already got all those tracks" and put them down again. I 've got a friend who says he's a fan who didn't even bother buying the CD with the STEREO OUTTAKE of "Jailhouse rock" on it and he says he's into the 1950's Elvis!!!!
Also, despite the FTD CD's being advertised in fan club magazines / publications etc, many people don't subscribe to any of these and a lot of people who DO, don't bother reading them!!! Why join then?
Some people are just plain confused over what the difference is between various takes of "There's always me", "Anything that's part of you" etc, or just don't want umpteen "C.C. Rider"s" or whatever. So it must be tough marketing these releases and trying to convince fringe fans to buy them when the full information about the discs' contents are not on the cover anywhere!!
TONY DOBB

"supposed Elvis fans" ???????

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:34 pm

"It's surprising how many people I talk to who are supposed Elvis fans that have never bought ANY FTD CD's. I talk to quite a lot of folks at Elvis discos who just go there for the social side of it and to get drunk, who don't actually collect different recordings or rare vinyl/books/film etc. "

I know a few of these very people you talk about Tony, and i can assure you that just because they dont need to own every live show and out take that exsists, does`nt make them any the less of an Elvis fan !

And i take great exception to your dig at folks who just want to get drunk at Elvis discos, as I am a regular piss up artist at discos here in the East Midlands!

Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:43 pm

Agreed, Ez. I have the FTD's, but I don't begrudge those who do not have any of them. Fandom is not measured by the amount of "things" you have. Hell, the guy who bought the floor-length Aloha cape a few years ago was on the Oprah Winfrey show saying it was the one Elvis used in his TV special.

Re: I am not sure...

Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:25 pm

[quote="Blue-Gypsy"]For those who say "I don't care how much it is worth, I am just in it for the music"
I say Baloney
Anyone would love to own something they paid base price for and see it increase in value over the years. Regardless if they plan on selling their piece or not.
Tony[quote]

I honestly don’t care about whether the monetary value of my CD’s has increased or not, and I certainly wouldn’t pay a ridiculous price for any one disc. The Camden CD’s are a good example of this. I managed to buy a few of these titles at face value from a record club some years ago. I decided to buy them because I had them on vinyl when I was growing up, and as they were the first Elvis albums I could afford back then, they held sentimental value.

Since then I have seen the titles for sale that I didn’t manage to track down at the time at very expensive prices, and I have never been tempted to pay out for them just for the sake of having them. In my opinion the money would be better spent on several discs containing recordings that I don’t already own.

Each fan obviously has their own approach to collecting, as this thread has proved.

Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:45 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I honestly don’t care about whether the monetary value of my CD’s has increased or not, and I certainly wouldn’t pay a ridiculous price for any one disc. The Camden CD’s are a good example of this. ............... I decided to buy them because I had them on vinyl when I was growing up, and as they were the first Elvis albums I could afford back then, they held sentimental value.

In complete agreement here. There is, however, a limit as far as I'm willing to pay, even for "sentimental" reasons.

rockinrebel wrote:Since then I have seen the titles for sale that I didn’t manage to track down at the time at very expensive prices, and I have never been tempted to pay out for them just for the sake of having them.

I have passed on many an item, without regret, simply because the prices were stratospheric. In such cases, if it is the content I'm after, a CD-R more than suffices.

N8
... just a fan ....