Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ELVIS-PRESLEY_1969-VEGAS
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

1969 Question to Elvis

Post by ELVIS-PRESLEY_1969-VEGAS »

R: "Mr. Presley,".. "I've been sent here by "Lord Sutch Enterprises" "To offer you One Million Pounds Sterling
to make Two Apperances at the Wembley Empire Stadium in England,".... " This Price will include a Documentary that will
be Filmed during and after the Shows."
"It will Only Take 24 Hours."

E: (Elvis points to Col.Parker)"You'll have to ask him about that."

C: (Parker)"Just put down the desposit."

anybody know why this never happened ? surely the guy would have been willing to put down a deposit! 1 Million is a lot of money for 24 hours work.... also surly Elvis would have been excited about that.

Jesse Garon

Post by Jesse Garon »

why this never happened ?

well...round up the usual suspects.

Parker is greedy and probably demanded more money and Lord Sutch said no.

Parker is illegal immigrant, he can't go, he will not let Elvis go, will not let his boy out of his sight.

Col. Satan didn't want his gimp to get away from his backyard.

Elvis was constantly discouraged from overseas traveling
no matter the lure of big money and pleasing foreign fans .

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by DarrylMac »

Interestingly, Parker did accompany Elvis to Canada in 57. I wonder if he had a scare there, in terms of getting back in to America?

It's a huge waste that Elvis didn't do a world tour, whatever his, or anyone elses concerns.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Cool. Yet another chance to promote The Man And His Music!

The guy who came up with this offer was the ultra-cool Screaming Lord Sutch. The Man And His Music printed his original review of the Opening Night show - a very interesting review written later that night - as well as his report from the press conference and the reaction to his offer. This guy also talked to the even more ultra-cool Colonel Parker about the offer after the press conference.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Re: 1969 Question to Elvis

Post by Spellbinder »

ELVIS-PRESLEY_1969-VEGAS wrote:.... also surly Elvis would have been excited about that.

Surly Elvis.

Surly.

Is this a spelling mistake or a typo or is it neither of these?

Jesse Garon

Post by Jesse Garon »

DarrylMac wrote:Interestingly, Parker did accompany Elvis to Canada in 57. I wonder if he had a scare there, in terms of getting back in to America?

That's a very lax border. Moose come across daily - people too.

On a '57 gigs Parker avoided a passport check by sneaking into Canada by getting off the train early and driving in by car under cover of darkness. There's press conference audio where that was brought up - not being at the train arrivial with all the pomp & circumstance but Elvis, Parker and entourage were already there! Sneaking inconginito.
But the reason for "sneaking in by car" was avoided and unexplained. But nowadays we know why: Parker was a criminal bastard without US citizenship.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

That offer had much more to do do with self promotion of the most pathetiic "musician" to hark from Britain at the time!

Scum also rises to the top!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

[quote="Jesse Garon] Parker was a criminal bastard without US citizenship.[/quote]

Isn't this a little bit harsh?

Ales Majer
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Ales Majer »

Jesse Garon wrote:why this never happened ?

Parker is illegal immigrant, he can't go, he will not let Elvis go, will not let his boy out of his sight.

Haha, no matter how little sense it makes, some people still cling desperately to their bogeyman. :D

It's like a religion, isn't it?

Never in his career would Parker been able to get more money fot concerts then that what Sutch offered. Even the Pontiac-show in michigan grossed less. It's highly unlikely Parker did not persue this endeavour on financial grounds.

Even if Parker did not have a US passport, obtaining one would have been no problem at all considering he was married to a US-citizen.

The gimp from his backyard-"argument" is too infantile to even consider adressing.

But keep on clinging to the Urban Myths if that's what you need to believe. :lol:

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Ales Majer wrote:
Jesse Garon wrote:why this never happened ?

Haha, no matter how little sense it makes, some people still cling desperately to their bogeyman. :D

It's like a religion, isn't it?

Never in his career would Parker been able to get more money fot concerts then that what Sutch offered. Even the Pontiac-show in michigan grossed less. It's highly unlikely Parker did not persue this endeavour on financial grounds.

Even if Parker did not have a US passport, obtaining one would have been no problem at all considering he was married to a US-citizen.

The gimp from his backyard-"argument" is too infantile to even consider adressing.

But keep on clinging to the Urban Myths if that's what you need to believe. :lol:
I see, it's all Elvis' fault, after all, this was the same man who who questioned Jerry Weintraub for setting up his MSG concerts. The point being is, why didn't Concerts West set up a world tour? wasn't that their job, and EP their client. The bottom line was, the Colonel was nice and cozy with EP in the states, especially with his office in Vegas where he could blow his brains out playing roulette and keep an eye on his "boy". No way was he going to let his meal ticket out of his site for a couple of months, given how much he was robbing EP, it wouldn't have been smart, somebody might have gotten in Elvis' ear.

Topic author
ELVIS-PRESLEY_1969-VEGAS

Just imagine if Elvis did get to go ahead with that offer

ELVIS LIVE AT WEMBLEY 1969

that would have been awesome, plus they would have filmed it!

ronnyg

Post by ronnyg »

You don't need a passport if you are an American Citizen and going into Canada. If everyone assumed Parker was American, it wouldn't have been a problem for him to go to Vancouver in 1957...no one is asked anything beyond "who is with you", "why are you going to Canada" and "when will you return to the United States." Passports, birth certificates, etc. are not required.

It is a bit different now (post 9/11) as they require more information and are talking about requiring passports which is causing some political issues between Canada (Quebec, anyway) and the US.

Elvis probably could have toured Canada more. Maybe he did have some kind of scare in '57.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by ritchie valens »

elvis could have toured overseas if he would have fired col sanders.

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

ritchie valens wrote:elvis could have toured overseas if he would have fired col sanders.
:roll: Uh its Parker, Sanders is the KFC man 8)

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Leroy
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Leroy »

Another interesting point is: would Elvis have been ready to do a gig as big as the Wembley. It wasn't until late summer 1970 Elvis started touring again. And when he was asked this question he just did one show in front of the showroom audience. So "Wembley 69" was out of the question anyway....

Fourteen years right down the drain, man, I'm tellin' ya!

Scott Haigh 781990EP
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

This is a FACT too. i have this in my book 'Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley

what a missed opportunity too :(

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

Topic author
ELVIS-PRESLEY_1969-VEGAS

Re: 1969 Question to Elvis

is this come selffrabicated story i see popping up at the forum lately? Where did you get this and if so, show me a link or a scan from where it is cause,it of not, i am getting the feeling that folks are more and more fabricating themselves socalled 'news' about Elvis.

that question was put to Elvis from the 1969 Press Conference after his first show.

here is the Transcript http://elvis-collectors.com/pepreview05.html