Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why I didnt Buy Dragon Heart 74.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:53 am

The first reason is is because I have enough 74 show's to choke a horse but this is a good cd for those that dont. The second reason is is because I feel the last few months of 1974 were not very good for Elvis. Besides the opening night in Vegas in August 74 the rest of the engagement was a disaster plain and simple. Collage park was like watching and hearing a train wreck because by that time Elvis was a wreck. Most of the show's in the last months of 74 were not Elvis at his best so this is why I've decided not to buy Dragon Heart. Frankly I've heard enough of 1974 shows now lets hear more from 72 or 71 that would for me be very refreshing.

Steve

The reason I will

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:16 am

The reason I will purchase Dragonheart

1- It is an Elvis release
2- It is unreleased material---True unreleased material, not outakes of a master, but true down to earth unreleased material (illeagle material nonwithstanding).
3- It is put out on a collectors label with a limited release. These are the CDs that will have value in 20 years.
4- Cuz I just wanna!

Tony

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:06 am

well i got mine on order because its elvis
and its a shame its not on vinyl but cd well do.

curtis simpkins
Last edited by CURTIS SIMPKINS on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:15 am

Myself, I can enjoy a performance that is less than 100% and not cast stones at the man because of it. A human cannot possibly be on top of their game every single night and myself and no one else here can do any better. Untill I have a career such as that of Elvis Presley, I will keep my critisism to myself and enjoy his stellar legacy.
In short, like Gypsy, I will buy this release cuz I wanna'.
Steve

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:33 am

Heck, I'm gonna buy it. It's a full Elvis show, unreleased, for less than the cost of a tank of gas.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:04 am

No stones thrown at Elvis, nor at the ones who buy this release, but I'm not going to purchase this one.
There must be better ones from '74 to wait for.
For example one of all the soundboard recordings that supposedly were made during the Jan-Feb gig in Las Vegas. How come we haven't seen any of them released yet?

Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:16 am

SWMcCarty wrote: ........ A human cannot possibly be on top of their game every single night and myself and no one else here can do any better.....

Very well said.

Not only once a night, sometimes twice. Really incredible when you get right down and truly think about it. What superstar performers, ever, then or now, have carried out such a grueling schedule?

Elvis basically loved what he did and died doing what he loved. JMO.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:35 am

Once again Tony comes thru with a voice of reason! :)

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:25 am

Also, don't forget... if they give us all the best ones at once, and then release the rest... what kind of B!+c#!ng will the people on this board be doing then...

I haven't heard the CD, so no judgement here, but even if it's not a good show, I don't blame them for spacing things out a bit. Give 'em time, Ernst has a new 3 year contract. :)

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:48 am

First of all I wouldn´t agree with Elvis #1 that Vegas was a disaster; there were many great shows, but something happened with Elvis in August-September, no doubt about that.

I´m sure that FTD are trying to give us shows from as many different years and tours as possible; so just be patient! Even with a troubled tour like this one, the shows do have a certain historical value.

You might even say that time was actually rather important, although not in a positive way- for the first time, it must have been obvious, even to the fans, that all was not OK in Elvis´s life...

BTW: Curtis, as usual you make no sense at all! In other posts you say how much you enjoy the College Park show from this tour (now that one is as close to a disaster as you get!) :roll:

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:51 am

Kylan wrote:Once again Tony comes thru with a voice of reason! :)

Agreed.

I have this one on order.
Keep 'em coming!!! :D

:mrgreen:

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:57 pm

Reasons why I've bought Dragon heart:

1) The more, the better
2) great artwork (lloks good with the other FTD's)
3) Elvis in '74 is stunning! High power, different songs and good humour
4) Soundquality is good
5) The show stands out from the regular shows and is above average
6) I like to support FTD to keep them releasing other material

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:18 pm

I refuse to by Dragonheart for one simple reason--price.

I refuse to pay $32.50 for one single CD.

I can fill my tank for less than that.

I have every other FTD release, but that ends here--or at least until the price gets reasonable again.

Terry

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:25 pm

There's a good reason to buy it for me - I don't have it! I want it and can't wait to hear it.

I've ordered my copy, but for now it's out of stock (somebody must be buying it!).

I too feel we should all stand by the FTD label. The CD's are well produced (and I like the cover). At one time the unreleased shows were almost impossible to get hold of. Now you can buy them <i>officially</i>.

What a nice change from back in the 80's, when unreleased material was only ever available at high prices by illegal bootleggers.

A full show is great. Even from that period of Elvis's life. Whatever he was on changed his mood, but whatever mood he was in, I'm only too pleased to have a front row seat and listen.

He still could belt out some classic sounds. If I get one outstanding song from the CD, I'll be more than happy. And I love to have the complete shows.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the concert.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:21 pm

The great thing about FTD is that they try to please everybody. I would agree that Elvis wasn’t exactly at the top of his game during this period, but I’m sure the ‘70’s concert collectors will welcome this release. Remember that the last FTD focused on Elvis 1960’s Nashville sessions, so everyone is a catered for in the long run.

On the subject of 1971 material, Ernst has already said that they don’t have much in decent sound quality, and I would suspect that most of what they do have has been bootlegged. I really don’t think FTD is holding back on 1971 material, the simple fact is that they can’t release what they don’t have.

1972 is of course another matter, but I don’t think we will see any more of the multi track “On Tour” recordings until BMG have decided whether or not they will issue a commercial set in the style of the “TTWII – SE”. Obviously, the plans of Turner/MGM will be a major factor in how this material is finally issued.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:31 pm

MikeMcCoy wrote:Also, don't forget... if they give us all the best ones at once, and then release the rest... what kind of B!+c#!ng will the people on this board be doing then...

I haven't heard the CD, so no judgement here, but even if it's not a good show, I don't blame them for spacing things out a bit. Give 'em time, Ernst has a new 3 year contract. :)

Good point.
It sure would be a pitty if it came to our knowledge that all the remaining live concerts and alternate takes were of lower quality than the released ones :/

Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:43 pm

:shock: "Dragonheart" IS an EXCELLENT ftd release really giving US FANS what FTD 'promised!' if you don't like late 74' then it's simple DON'T BUY IT' but if like me you enjoy the 'diversity' of Elvis DON'T MISS THIS RELEASE!! :lol: :lol:

About vegas 74

Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:35 am

I really don´t understant all the criticism about this last engagement from 74, in Vegas. It surely has its low points, being the desastrous monologues from the closing night one of then. But besides that, This gig gave us some great and some outstanding performances. The opening night ranks as one of Elvis finest performances and some other less stelar shows like the ones in Desert Storm and Night Fever in Vegas are still good performances. The FTD release It´s midnight is in my opinion a great release. Elvis is in good form and the song list is very variated and enjoable. Great songs that otherwise never would have a chance like If you talk in your sleep, Its Midnight and Good Time Charlies...are apresented to the audience because of this season. As for the later concerts of sepetember an october some are great and some are a real disaster. I´m looking forward to DragonHeart to see in wich categorie it falls.

Sergio Luiz

Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:35 am

Prince Dragna wrote:
BTW: Curtis, as usual you make no sense at all! In other posts you say how much you enjoy the College Park show from this tour (now that one is as close to a disaster as you get!) :roll:

well i havent heard this show yet, but what other's say about it on this mb
i know i well injoy the show.

and i do like big boss man live version.

curtis simpkins

FTD / CONCERTS ETC

Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:49 pm

The January / Feburary 1974 season was mostly boring and predictable with Elvis giving a 50 minute show every time with virtually the same songs night after night. Sometimes he would throw in a bit of "Blueberry Hill" before "I can't stop loving you" if he was daring and one night, he did "My baby left me" but apart from that, the shows from August were far more varied and entertaining. The "Dragonheart" show gives us a 70 minute concert with Elvis in a good mood and one of the best ever versions of "Steamroller blues", plus a committed version of "It's now or never'. We have also been given 3 bonus tracks to bring the running time up to over 76 minutes!! So what if it costs a couple of quid extra? We have paid thru the nose for poor quality bootlegs for years!!
Also there is no point or chance of putting these releases on vinyl. It would need two records and if only a couple of hundred of people buy them, it's gonna be very very expensive!!
TONY DOBB