Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Don't Be Cruel - the music video

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:14 am

I just re-watched the music video for Don't Be Cruel created to promote the Elvis 56 album (at least I think that is why they did it...).

Do you all knwo which video I'm talking about? It's the one were they in the beginning uses shots of Graceland from the 50's and some of Memphis today... and then you hear Elvis say "Somebody asked me this morning what I missed about Memphis? And I said everything"

I love the way it is all in black/white, and that they film "Elvis" in direct light... it ads to the cool feeling, and of course makes it harder to see that it in fact is not Elvis (the picture above looks very much like Elvis, if I did not know it couldn't be him, I would have believed it).

Does anyone of you know who it is playing Elvis in this video? He does a good job.

The only negative thing I can say about this video is that the girls look way too much 1980's... but I can deal with that when Elvis is being treated this nice. PLUS... I definitely feel that they captured the expressions on the girls faces:

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:53 pm

I agree with you.It most certainly is a nice music video.It has got a positive atmosphere and really there haven't been that many videos produced containing Elvis.The one negative thing that sticks out is the choice of musicians and back-up singers that accompany "Elvis".

I regret to say that I don't know who the actors are or who produced this
not-too-well-known little gem.

Somebody should start a new thread here on this MB :What other videos of Elvis songs do you know about,apart from Don't Be Cruel and Blue Suede Shoes (featuring my ol' friend Carl Perkins as a wise shop clerk) ?

Oh,what the heck! Didn't I more or less do that just now ?
Last edited by splanky on Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:01 pm

Where can I download this video? thanks in advance.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:35 pm

The Don't Be Cruel video was released to promote The Complete 50's Masters.
Also a CD single was released (in both the US and Europe).
It is indeed a very nice video.

To have these very modern looking girls in it was the whole idea: they wanted to create a 90's Elvis to show how he stood the test of time.

That Blue Suede Shoes video I haven't seen in ages!
That was a brilliant high tech video, and to put Perkins in it was a very cool idea.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:00 pm

I didn't know there was a video made for 'Blue Suede Shoes', the 'Don't Be Cruel' video I didn't like particularly though I guess it had a quite contemporary feel.

The only other music video specially made for a single I can come up with at the moment (asside from the terrible and cringeworthy ALLC) is The Twelth Of Never which cobbled together various clips from TTWII - that one worked quite well.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:39 pm

Clint,

If you are on ICQ I can send you the video for Blue Suede Shoes (from Rocker).

Mail me at *****@home.nl to let me know if you would like to see the vid.
Last edited by Bob-Holland on Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:40 pm

Joe Car - I found it on Kazaa or IMesh, so if you use such a program you should find it too.

I had never heard of, or seen, the Blue Suede Shoes video. Tell me something more about it, please!

I have a contribution to the list on Elvis videos, we've forgot one of the latest one: Suspicious Minds - the one that was created for the single in the year of 2000 (?).

Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:00 am

someone said that the "dance scene" from Jailhouse rock was like a musicvideo

Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:01 am

Bob-Holland wrote:Clint,

If you are on ICQ I can send you the video for Blue Suede Shoes (from Rocker).

Mail me at pakes@home.nl to let me know if you would like to see the vid.

Thanks Bob - I don't use ICQ though - thanks again for the offer though.

Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:20 pm

In some TV documentaries about music and artists you might encounter some Elvis selections which can be called music videos.So far we have mentioned 5 different songs (Cruel,Shoes,12th,ALLC & Suspicious Minds), but rest assured there are more.

In one programme about Rockabilly Music I watched in the late 80's/early 90's they used Baby I Don't Care from the movie Jailhouse Rock and synchronized it with the overdubbed version from the album I Was The One.At the time it worked pretty well I thought.

Anybody else who has made similar observations ?

vcd?

Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:36 pm

Does anyone have those clips on VCD?
jt.sta@planet.nl

Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:02 pm

Looking thru' my collection of VHS-videos I just found the Blue Suede Shoes music video.It was released by RCA Video Productions,inc. in 1985 on Hot Rock videos,vol.2 (RVT 10672).I agree that it probably was made as a promo vehicle for the Rocker album in 1984 when Blue Suede Shoes was released as the single.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:20 pm

It's taken me some time to answer this :wink: but the BLUES SUEDE SHOES video debuted in the USA on "Entertainment Tonight" as I recall.

It ran on a few video shows, but like ALLC, didn't really feature Elvis
so it's hard to warm up to.

Still, they were trying.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:21 pm

I have the BLUE SUEDE SHOES on vhs a few times...but only a small clip of the don"t be cruel.

One of the clips i have,has carl been interviewd about the song and the memphis boy.

Nice to have. :P

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:22 pm

I think that the DonĀ“t ne cruel video was a part of "Elvis on MTV" - a 30 minutes or one hour show from the early nineties made for MTV. I have got it on VHS and will transfer it to DVD as soon as I get my DVD-recorder back from service. Maybe i can upload a part of it then.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:38 pm

Speaking of Elvis music videos, or more the lack of Elvis music videos...

I remember a few years back, approx 1999 I think it was, VH-1 had scheduled ELVIS DAY on a couple of occations, and I was really looking forward to them.

What happened?

Correct, all day long the logo ELVIS DAY was present up in the left corner on the TV screen, but all they did was showing music videos of other artists, with only a few minutes every 4th hour on Elvis... :roll:

Guess the lack of available Elvis material was the reason behind this, and the fact that EPE probably wouldn't license much Elvis material to be shown at VH-1...

If I remember correctly, there were a couple of Elvis documentaries that were run, though. Anyone remember which documentaries..?

Br
Kristian

Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:45 pm

....and add " Rubberneckin" to the list of Music Videos.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:28 pm

ImageI actually liked the "Rubberneckin'" video, all told.

Sure, Elvis could have been in it more, but they
did use most of the COH footage -and had some
Alizee-like dancers, to boot.

Compared to ALLC and others, it definitely was an ELVIS video.

The best, though, is probably the home-made version
made by one of the best fans going. It's all the footage
from COH version, plus other footage from the movie
smartly worked in.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:18 am

I agree with Greg.Sometimes creative and knowledgeable fans make far better videos than people in the business.Something which by the way excludes me,but I contacted an international firm which could make dvd's for me and had them make me a dvd of some of the stuff I have collected over the years.So the video's mentioned on this thread are readily available to me right now,except Suspicious Minds which I have completely forgotten about.Could anyone give more details of content and where it has been broadcast or published ?