Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tv Guide interview-frustrating to say the least

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:32 am

First of all, great job by this site as they have added some more classic EP interview downloads the last couple of days. Today I managed to listen to the Aug 56 interview in full, having heard bits and pieces before. I must say I was completely frustrated by the crap that EP had to go through, especially from critics. How he would sometimes belittle his incredible talent because of the enormous verbal abuse he took from these a--holes is sad. The man interviewing him (using a scathing article as a source of questions) really speaks alot of the negative side of what EP endured during that year and how it was mostly the kids who recognized his genius, not the idiot adults. I also noticed how Elvis really gives Parker a lot of credit and thus given where he came from, it could explain the loyalty to Parker until Elvis died.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:41 am

The classic EP interview downloads are great. Regarding Elvis and the Colonel it's pretty well recorded the loyalty wasn't there by the early-mid 70s. However, the Colonel's clever move of ensuring Elvis always owed him a substantial 7 figure amount made it difficult for Elvis & Vernon, who were both very unsavy business wise, to terminate the contract. Any other big name promoter would simply have paid the Colonel out and taken care of business!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:50 am

John Walker wrote:The classic EP interview downloads are great. Regarding Elvis and the Colonel it's pretty well recorded the loyalty wasn't there by the early-mid 70s. However, the Colonel's clever move of ensuring Elvis always owed him a substantial 7 figure amount made it difficult for Elvis & Vernon, who were both very unsavy business wise, to terminate the contract. Any other big name promoter would simply have paid the Colonel out and taken care of business!

They did have their disputes in the mid-seventies no doubt, but I believe perhaps Elvis felt he needed him, which didn't help him in the end obviously. Anyway, I don't want this to become a Colonel and EP thread, we've beaten that to death. Any thoughts about this interview John?