Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis second to Churchill in Poll

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Winston Churchill is the individual people would most like to meet if they could travel back in time. Rock n' Roll legend Elvis Presley came second behind the World War 11 leader in a survey with scientist Albert Einstein third.

The poll was carried out for a new BBC magazine, Dr Who Adventures.

Screen siren Marilyn Monroe's fourth spot shows she has lost none of her allure.

She was followed in fifth place by US civil rights leader Martin Luther King, who was assassinated in 1968.

Diana came eighth, ahead of Isaac Newton, Queen Elizabeth 1 and former Beatle John Lennon.

The Swinging Sixties was voted the historical period that people would most like to be part of.

The present, 2006, came a surprise second, and the Victorian era third.

:: The Historical Figures People Would Most Like to Meet

1. Winston Churchill
2. Elvis Presley
3. Albert Einstein
4. Marilyn Monro
5. Martin Luther King Jr
6. Ghandi
7. Princess Diana
8. Nelson Mandela
= 9. Isaac Newton
= 9. Elizabeth I
= 9. John Lennon

The Period in History People Would Most Like to Experience

1. Swinging Sixties
2. 2006
3. Victorian times
4. 1966 World Cup
5. 1800s/19th Century
6. 1950s
7. Second World War
8. 1970s New York Disco Era
9. 1920s Jazz Age
10. 1900s

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/02042006/140/c ... -poll.html

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:24 pm

I would have had Fanny Hill at the top of my list :D

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:32 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I would have had Fanny Hill at the top of my list :D

Do you have an address or map reference?

Geoff

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:13 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:I would have had Fanny Hill at the top of my list :D

Do you have an address or map reference?

Geoff

No, but when you get on down there, it's pretty bushy.

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:13 pm

This poll seems a bit 'fishy' to me. I cannot seriously believe that 6-12 year olds voted for Winston Churchil. I suspect most people of that age group have never heard of him. I suspect that the producers of the 'Dr. Who' programme have already written a storyline for Winston Churchill and placed him No.1 in the poll to gain publicity.

Brian :roll:

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:29 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:I suspect most people of that age group have never heard of him.

I haven't :roll:

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:...I cannot seriously believe that 6-12 year olds voted for Winston Churchil. I suspect most people of that age group have never heard of him...

Is it really that far-fetched to think kids of that age would have heard of Churchill? I have kids in that age group (8 and 10) who know Abe Lincoln, as one example, inside and out. I would think the likelihood of kids in the UK knowing Churchill in the same way would be pretty high. I'm talking only of knowing who he is, not necessarily voting for him.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:45 pm

They seem to be able to make the results of these magazine polls come out any way the editors want.

Not like ours !