Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Grammys- why three?

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:15 pm

According to the official homepage, Elvis must have had an livetime achivement.

Among his many awards and accolades were 14 Grammy nominations (3 wins) from the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, which he received at age 36

Full story on: http://elvis.com/elvisology/bio/elvis_overview.asp

Was it maybe called different? I found this on a different page in there:

August 9 - September 6, 1971
Elvis plays an engagement in Las Vegas at the International Hotel, which has been renamed the Las Vegas Hilton International Hotel. He sets another attendance record and tops himself once again.

During the engagement an award is presented to Elvis in his dressing room. It is the Bing Crosby Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (the organization that also presents Grammy awards). This award is a special means of recognition from NARAS and is named for its first recipient. The award is not given every year as a rule. It will later be re-named the Lifetime Achievement Award. Elvis is 36 years old.

Link: http://elvis.com/elvisology/bio/elvis_1970_1977_2.asp

Wouldn't that have made four Grammys in total?

The National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences talks only about 3 wins. That kind of puzzles me. What is correct?

TLC 4 Elvis
Claudia

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:35 pm

I think a lifetime acheivment award from NARAS is similar too one that is handed out every year by the Motion Picture Acadamy. They're awards, but NOT Grammys or Oscars.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:57 pm

The Bing Crosby award is the same as the Lifetime Achievement one.

They changed the name at some point.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm

Colin is right........the Bing Crosby Award and the Lifetime Achievement Award are one and the same. And, while given out by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (the same outfit that gives out Grammys) it is not considered a Grammy per se.

Elvis' Grammys were for........

How Great Thou Art (album) 1967

He Touched Me (album) 1972

How Great Thou Art (single from "Live On Stage In Memphis") 1974

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Colin & Scatter: Thanks for refreshing my memory. I'd forgotten that the NARAS had changed the name to the Bing Crosby award. I haven't watched the Grammys (or Oscars) in years.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:42 am

How strange it is that he never got any for what he was famous for: Rock'n roll! ??

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:47 am

bajo wrote:How strange it is that he never got any for what he was famous for: Rock'n roll! ??

In the early years Elvis 'cocked a snook' at the establishment.

The establishment hated him for it.

There was no way his r 'n' r stuff [or anyone else's for the matter] was going to be given any awards !