Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:41 pm

O beautiful, for spacious skys, for amber waves of grain...
America, America, God shed His grace on thee!!

I love Elvis' version of this song.

RKS

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:09 pm

A happy 4th of July to all Americans on your National Day !
May God keep you and the rest of the world safe from all evil .

I liked the the 4th of July-medley which I found a link to on this board.
The version of America used in that medley sounded fantastic.I presume that a new rhythm-track was present,but also the clarity of Elvis' voice was simply stunning.

Anybody care to tell me which concert this particular version was from ?

Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:08 pm

And I apologise for hijacking the other thread, 4th July what a fantastic date in history.

Happy Independence Day!

From sea to shining sea, AMERICA!! 8)

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:43 pm

A quick note on the medley..

"America" is from March 21, 1976 in Cincinati, OH, and "Trilogy" is from April 14, 1972 in Greensboro, NC.

No new rhythm track or anything, just a splicing of the two songs together. :)

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:03 am

Thanks to all of you for the Happy 4th of July wishes! About 6 months ago I had some very ugly anti-American comments directed at me on another Elvis site, and the webmasters let it fly, and I haven't been back since. So I greatly appreciate the comments from all of you starting with unclefester.

Back to Elvis...splanky--don't you love that version of ATB? I think that is the best rendition released yet (though unofficially) of that song. SO powerful--the ending just knocks your socks off! I think a lot of people would be surprised he could pull that off in 1976, you know? I'm also impressed with Mike's choice of the Greensboro performance of Trilogy. It seems that the Hampton Roads performance is thought of more highly, but I've always thought the producers of Elvis On Tour picked the better performance to use in the movie.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:10 am

Hi, Bobby!

Actually, I originally had the June 10th, 1975 Memphis performance picked so the voices would match better, but the pace of American Trilogy was sped up VERY much then... so I had to go with an earlier one... that particular 72 performance just happened to be the one I first picked up, and I thought it matched fairly well with the other one.

I could have used an official version, but the stereo/mono differences would have ruined the feel and made the splices stand out like a sore thumb. :?

Wouldn't it be cool to have "America, The Beautiful" in Stereo!! I can dream, anyway.... lol

Happy 4th of July!

Thanks

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:52 am

Thanks you all, thankyouverymuch!!!