Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

June 5, 1956

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:56 am

In this day's live version of Hound Dog, the words "hound dog" are repeated after Elvis sings them. I am at work right now and can't access my DVDs, but I was wondering, is this Elvis echoing himself, or is it Scotty, Bill & DJ?
What a blazing version of Hound Dog this is.

Other than the studio version of Shake Rattle & Roll, what other occasions did Scotty, Bill, and DJ back EP?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:41 am

A good question!!!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:09 pm

It's Elvis repeating the "Hound Dog, Hound Dog" line. That's the way it is on the Freddie Bell version that he'd heard in Vegas. That's what prompted him to record it himself, although he obviously was aware of the Big Mama Thornton original.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:47 pm

Tits McGhee wrote:It's Elvis repeating the "Hound Dog, Hound Dog" line. That's the way it is on the Freddie Bell version that he'd heard in Vegas. That's what prompted him to record it himself, although he obviously was aware of the Big Mama Thornton original.

Yes, Elvis' version is based on the Freddie Bell & The Bell Boys one.

On some of his early renditions, he did the Hound Dog repeat at the end of the line, but he had dropped it by the time he did it in the studio.

Well, by the time he got to the master, anyway !

Re: June 5, 1956

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:55 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:... is this Elvis echoing himself ... ?

Yes, it's all Elvis, aping what Big Mama Thornton did on her 1953 #1 R&B hit version of the song. Elvis had a copy of the 78 RPM disc. He also knew the Freddie Bell and the Bell Boys version, which pulled from Big Mama's recording as well, after seeing them in Las Vegas a month prior to the June Berle visit.

Although Elvis dropped the repeated bit by the time he cut the master single take of "Hound Dog" in July, he continued to use it in concert until at least the end of the year, as evidenced by the final "Hayride" performance in December.

Jim Dandy wrote:Other than the studio version of Shake Rattle & Roll, what other occasions did Scotty, Bill, and DJ back EP?

The Joe Turner cover is the only time all three backed up Presley.

Trust the doc!

DJC

June 5, 1956

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:56 pm

I believe you can hear Bill Black singing with Elvis on the live Hayride version of "Maybelline".
Greybeard

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: a month prior to the June Berle visit.

Who?? :lol:

just kidding...

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:13 pm

Greybeard wrote:I believe you can hear Bill Black singing with Elvis on the live Hayride version of "Maybelline".

Black can be heard on various live 1950s cuts, but the question was whether Scotty, Bill and DJ ever backed Elvis on more than just the one track mentioned above.

DJC

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59 pm

which 1972 show did he sing some of big mama's orignal lyrics?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 pm

Elvis used a line from the Big 'Mama' Thornton version in the 68 Comeback.

I think this performance is the best one from all his TV apearances in the 50's.

DJ did say in an interview that the 'slow' ending was unrehearsed and they were unaware that Elvis was going to do that.
Not sure how true that is.