Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Neil Diamond

Post by davide »

Just been filming Neil Diamond, and it got me thinking, is there any evidence that Neil and Elvis met.
I know they both recorded at the Americian Studios in Jan 69 , but thats all I Know. Anybody got any info?

thanks David

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

No sorry, I haven't never seen any pictures but that don't mean they haven't never met.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

How about that August 20(?), 1970 introduction and one liner of Holy Holly? Maybe they met before or after this show.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Pete Dube
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Pete Dube »

They were neighbors in California for a brief period of time in the 70's. According to Diamond they would wave over the fence and occasionally exchange pleasantries. Diamond has said that they would sometimes send each others fans to the other's house. In other words Elvis would have someone send his fans over to Neil's house and Neil would have someone send his own fans over to Elvis' house. On the few occasions when he's talked about Elvis, Diamond has never said a bad word about him, or tried to make more out of their friendly aquaintance. Diamond has always been popular with Elvis fans, and in a poll taken at an Elvis event sometime in the 80's Neil was named overwhelmingly as the fans second favorite singer.

elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Thats cool, I never knew that the two were neigbors.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Marko »

Pete Dube wrote:They were neighbors in California for a brief period of time in the 70's. According to Diamond they would wave over the fence and occasionally exchange pleasantries. Diamond has said that they would sometimes send each others fans to the other's house. In other words Elvis would have someone send his fans over to Neil's house and Neil would have someone send his own fans over to Elvis' house. On the few occasions when he's talked about Elvis, Diamond has never said a bad word about him, or tried to make more out of their friendly aquaintance. Diamond has always been popular with Elvis fans, and in a poll taken at an Elvis event sometime in the 80's Neil was named overwhelmingly as the fans second favorite singer.
I've told this before here but according to a Finnish ice hockey coach Alpo Suhonen he met Elvis in 1974 at Neil Diamonds son's birthday party. He said that the party was at Diamond's backyard and Elvis came in through the back.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

John Walker
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by John Walker »

I know this is not on the topic but in Australia Neil Diamond is out selling Elvis on the DVD chart by 4 to 1!

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

Just done a bit of research myself. Neil wrote and then recorded "And the grass won't pay no mind " on January 8 1969 at the Americian Sound studios , Memphis , and released on an album " Brother Love's Travelling Salvation show" album released in April 1969 , which was produced by Tommy Cogbill and Chips Moman.
Elvis recorded his version on Febuary 18 1969 .Maybe Chips suggested the track to Elvis I don"t know. George Klien made the phone call at the studio, due to his connections , and secured the track from Neil Diamond.
From What I can find out Neil was booked into the studio first , Lacker spoke to Chips Moman at home and told him Elvis would record at Americian but that it would clash with the Diamond session , and Chip's response was " **** Diamond , he will have to be put back , tell Elvis is on"

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

davide wrote:Just done a bit of research myself. Neil wrote and then recorded "And the grass won't pay no mind " on January 8 1969 at the Americian Sound studios , Memphis , and released on an album " Brother Love's Travelling Salvation show" album released in April 1969 , which was produced by Tommy Cogbill and Chips Moman.
Elvis recorded his version on Febuary 18 1969 .Maybe Chips suggested the track to Elvis I don"t know. George Klien made the phone call at the studio, due to his connections , and secured the track from Neil Diamond.
From What I can find out Neil was booked into the studio first , Lacker spoke to Chips Moman at home and told him Elvis would record at Americian but that it would clash with the Diamond session , and Chip's response was " **** Diamond , he will have to be put back , tell Elvis is on"
The sory goes that Neil Diamond asked Chips to pitch Elvis one of his songs. Chips agreed to do so and did it as a favor for bumping Neil's scheduled studio time so that Elvis could use it. Neil was thrilled when he heard the result.

Mike C

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

About 3 or 4 years ago I was perusing the I Am ... I Said message board, and the subject of one thread was Elvis' version of And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind. Neil's fans were really impressed by Elvis' version. By the way folks, if you're a Diamond fan that's a very good board. I don't visit it too often, and I've never participated in a discussion there, but the fans are very friendly and decent towards one another. And devoted to Diamond.

Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Scatter »

Well, I fall right in line with that poll.........I love Neil Diamond!!!