Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New unauthorized Streisand book mentions her & Elvis

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Since the New York Daily News' website http://www.nydailynews.com didn't have a link for this article, I figured I'd post the article that was in the 3/27 edition:

"Christohper Andersen, who has revealed the secrets of everyone from
"Jack & Jackie" & "George & Laura" to "Diana Ross" in his best-selling
biographies, now turns his attention to America's reigning diva. In "Barbra:
The Way She Is" [Morrow $23.95], he takes a long look at Streisand, both
the artist & the woman. This exclusive excerpt is all about Barbra & some
of the men who figured large in her life, if only in passing.

ELVIS PRESLEY:On her second to last night at the International [in Las
Vegas], Barbra introduced Elvis from the audience. Like everyone else who had been at the disastrous opening-night performance, he was
impressed with how she had managed to turn things around so
dramatically.

Afterward, Presley, tanned & fit & on the verge of a major comeback,
visited Barbra in her dressing room. Before she could react, he shut the
door, knelt down, grabbed a bottle of nail polish from her dresser, &
started painting her nails with long deliberate strokes. It was not the first
time he had used this ploy to catch a woman off balance. Ann Margret,
with whom he enjoyed a long & torrid affair, once told a friend Elvis
enjoyed painting her toenails.

"I was...speechless," recalled Barbra, who soon added Elvis to her
lengthening list of what she now referred to as her "flings". Later, when
Elvis followed her at the International, Barbra "stayed over a few nights",
said David Kramer, who worked for the hotel under [Kirk] Kerkorian.

Although she seemed a far cry from the big-haired, toothsome, all-American beauty queens Elvis perferred, Streisand "intrigued him", said a
longtime member of Presley's entourage.

"She had 1 thing Elvis valued above all others, a God-given ability to sing.
He was in awe of great talent".

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I'd like to hear what everybody thinks about the nail polish method? Is it utter BS? By the way this is the first I hear that Babs and E had a fling. She was married to Elliott Gould of M*A*S*H fame at that time, got divorced in 71. But anyway she once said in an interview, that she would never get involved with a married man. That was during the filming of "The Way We Were" with R. Redford.

Is this the book that uncovered her affair with Prince Charles?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:10 pm

I don't know whether it's true or not but I'm prepared to give it a go! Girls.......What is the nail polish of choice these days........and do you have to look like EP did in 69 to make it work ?? :wink:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:39 pm

Delboy wrote:I don't know whether it's true or not but I'm prepared to give it a go! Girls.......What is the nail polish of choice these days........and do you have to look like EP did in 69 to make it work ?? :wink:

Not at all Delboy! Just go ahead and give it a try, I am sure looks has absolutely nothing to do with it. :wink:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:58 pm

Delboy wrote:Girls.......What is the nail polish of choice these days........and do you have to look like EP did in 69 to make it work ?? :wink:

What you don't look anything like your avatar?
Oh the pain, the horror....
You better buy lots of nail polish. Just grab any color.
That's what E did, according to the story.
And the magic worked.
I just now found out that he serenaded her with "Song Of The Nail Polish"
to the tune of "Song Of The Shrimp".

:wink: 8)

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:04 pm

Maybe Elvis got the nail polish idea from a scene in the original 'Lolita' which costarred Peter Sellers, one of his favorite actors.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:15 pm

I thought the way Barbra used to tell the story was that she said to Elvis "In these days of Women's Lib, will you go out with me?" and Elvis said, "I have a Women's Libber of my own who would kill me if I did." But quite often people seem to change their stories with the passage of years. I remember hearing Liliane Montevecchi from King Creole being interviewed on the radio. The interviewer asked her to talk about that affair with Elvis that she had metnioned last time she had been on the same radio show, and she replied that she had never had an affair with Elvis - seemed she had forgotten what she said earlier!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:40 pm

According to Priscilla's book Elvis was drunk when they went together to meet Barbra in her dressing room. The first thing that Elvis said was: "What did you ever saw in Elliot Gould? I never could stand him." According to Priscilla Barbra said: "What do you mean? He's the father of my child."

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm

Delboy wrote:I don't know whether it's true or not but I'm prepared to give it a go!

I bet that tactic would work on these two, Delboy. The one on the left looks bare of polish on that right thumb of hers...

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:13 pm

aw-chee wah wah! :oops:

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:39 pm

KHoots wrote:
Delboy wrote:I don't know whether it's true or not but I'm prepared to give it a go!

I bet that tactic would work on these two, Delboy. The one on the left looks bare of polish on that right thumb of hers...

Is it me or is it getting hot in here? Wow!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:13 pm

khoots wins!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:30 pm

Hmmmmm.......

I can believe the nail painting, but it's the 'fling' bit that's hard to take on board !

She just wasn't his 'type' !

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm

Say it ain't so! I can forgive Elvis the drugs. I can forgive him the weight gain. I can forgive him the mid-60's movies. But I just cannot forgive him if it turns out he boinked Babs!

As for this toenail polishing stuff it sounds as if some of you folks have a feet-ish! :)