Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis in Top 250 UK Singles of 2005

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:18 pm

Top 250 UK Singles of 2005

Didn't know there was such a chart ?

Well, I found it on the net !

http://www.chartsplus.co.uk/ChartsPlusYE2005.pdf

Nice to see that, of all the thousands of singles released throughout the year, Elvis' 17 re-releases all make the chart.

For obvious reasons, they don't get very high positions [range from 134 to 186] but they're all there !

You can scroll down & get the Top 200 albums, too !

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:02 am

Hi Colin!

It's always nice to see that our man is not only a mythe! He's got statistics to prove his success as well!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:43 am

Bajo, can't agree with you. The sales of trhe singles were historically so low that the fact Elvis ranks a lot of in the top 250 is quite meaningless. Albums are selling around 10 times more than singles and where is Elvis on that list?

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:30 pm

John Walker wrote:Albums are selling around 10 times more than singles and where is Elvis on that list?

Well, he didn't have any major album releases in 2005.

30 # 1's [in its 3rd year of issue] came in at No.123.

Love, Elvis [a minor release in every way] is at 125.

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Colin

And Hitstory is at #117.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:00 am

John Walker wrote:Bajo, can't agree with you. The sales of trhe singles were historically so low that the fact Elvis ranks a lot of in the top 250 is quite meaningless. Albums are selling around 10 times more than singles and where is Elvis on that list?

It's the same playing field for every artist with the singles. So Elvis' success shouldn't be ignored.

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:41 am

What I had in mind was the overall impact! Not only recent few years.
Still, when thinking of how many times over these songs have been re-released, the singles didn't do that bad!

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:03 am

The shocking part to me is that Wooden Heart outranked so many other Elvis songs.

Re: ..

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:10 am

2001 wrote:The shocking part to me is that Wooden Heart outranked so many other Elvis songs.

I don't find that so shocking

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:39 am

A hypothetical... if an album sells 10 million copies, and a single sells 1,000 copies, and the media says both are at #1 on the respective chart, which has most credibility?

Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:22 pm

John Walker wrote:A hypothetical... if an album sells 10 million copies, and a single sells 1,000 copies, and the media says both are at #1 on the respective chart, which has most credibility?

You've highlighted that charts and sales figures tell us different things !

A chart tells us how well a single or album did against its opposition at the time.

Sales figures help us to make comparisons between hits from different points in the timeline.

In your example, the 10 million-selling album may not have gained much credibility if the albums it is being compared to sold 15 or 20 million.

The 1,000-selling single, however, as a No.1, outsold whatever else was in the chart that week.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:52 am

Put it the other way around. Many Elvis albums in the US hardly appeared in the album charts, but have sold well and gained gold and platinum status!
As Colin states: "Today's race's winner is...!"