Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Viva Las Vegas is coming out on the Delete Albums from FTD

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:31 pm

Ernst Jorgensen made a statement that the soundtrack of "Viva Las Vegas" will be one of the three deleted soundtracks which will be (re)released on the Follow That Dream label in December this year. The other two titles have not been selected yet.

This will be the second "Viva Las Vegas" release this year. As we mentioned last week, this soundtrack will be released on vinyl too with several alternate takes and a radio commercial.

Now What two others might be, i am hopeing for
Girls!,Girls!,Girls!
Spinout.

curtis simpkins

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:33 pm

Yes Curtis, I read that. I am looking forward to the alternate takes on this FTD. :D

8)

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:37 pm

what i also want is girls girls girls
double trouble
wild in the country
kid galahad
kissin cousins hopefully with alts.
any others with lots of alts.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:37 pm

Het Curtis baby, i see you forgot to stay in "character" when you started this thread. You in a hurry ?

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:40 pm

Yeah, what's up with this new persona??

Tom

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:43 pm

Maybe he just cut and paste the info from another site.
Just a possibility. :wink:

:twisted:

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:44 pm

Maybe he decided to grow up!

Tom

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:45 pm

Maybe that to Tom. LOL

8)

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:48 pm

He just continues to prove what I have said about him all along.

Tom

Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:35 pm

What is interesting about this, is that it’s the first indication we have had from BMG that they are looking to cover all the soundtracks, and not just the ones that were given long playing album releases back in the ‘60’s. Personally, I thought we would get the entire original soundtrack LP catalogue on FTD CD’s before anything else was considered, so this is surprisingly good news. Many fans have suggested that the “Viva Las Vegas” soundtrack was worthy of it’s own album release in the past, and once again Ernst and BMG have responded to the fans requests.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:48 am

Assuming this is true

Welcome as this may be - doesn't it destroy the whole intent of this series?

After all Viva Las Vegas was never a long player.

What next - a mythical Tickle Me.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:16 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Assuming this is true
Welcome as this may be - doesn't it destroy the whole intent of this series?
After all Viva Las Vegas was never a long player.
What next - a mythical Tickle Me.

No, Hardly. Lots of other FTD releases weren't long players either

This is just making up for what should have been. :D
I don't understand what intent you mean? Giving us the product we want?
If you think it shouldn't be in the soundtrack series then if you don't purchase it your collection will be as you think it should be. :wink:

:mrgreen:

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:58 am

Alan is just staying in character, unlike Curtis. ignore him and he'll go away.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:45 am

You miss the point :!:

The FTD movie series was intended to be a replication of the ORIGINAL cover of LP discs - albeit in reduced form and with added tracks. The difference to a standard CD was to highlight the LP album art.

Viva Las Vegas was never a LP record. Thus NO album to present.

By all means release a Viva CD with all available material BUT why destroy a wonderful format when the said format has barely got going.

And Kylan your no talent snivelling is getting tiresome - if you don't have somrthing to contribute - then shut up :D

Viva Las Vegas

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:17 am

Hi KiwiAlan!

Viva Las Vegas wasn't released as an LP. True.
But it was released as an EP.
Maybe they'll use the coverart from that one?

Anyway; I don't see why FTD shouldn't add this to the list, since it definetely SHOULD have been released as a LP back in the 60s.
The fact that "all" the fans want it, should speak for itself...

Br
Kristian

Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:02 pm

Which songs were on the original Viva EP? How many alternates and outtakes could they add to make a full CD? Is there enough material for a full length CD?

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:01 pm

Thank God Ernst has listened to the fans and included "Viva Las Vegas" among the next set of soundtracks to be released on FTD. Who ever said this series was limited to LPs? "Viva Las Vegas" was a soundtrack, albeit an EP. There were enough bonus tracks recorded to justify an LP in 1964! Here's the list:

Viva Las Vegas;
What'd I Say;
C'Mon Everybody;
I Need Somebody To Lean On;
If You Think I Don't Need You;
Today, Tomorrow & Forever;
Santa Lucia;
Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes of Texas;
The Lady Loves Me
You're The Boss
Do The Vega
Night Life

Thus, 12 songs (13 if you count "Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes of Texas" as two songs) -- that's more songs than most '60s soundtrack LPs.

There have been outtakes released of:

Viva Las Vegas;
C'Mon Everybody;
Night Life;
You're The Boss;
The Lady Loves Me;
Today, Tomorrow & Forever (including a duet with Ann Margret).

I look forward to great audio (notice how bad "Night Life," "Do The Vega," and "The Yellow Rose Of Texas/The Eyes Of Texas" sound on the double feature CD?)

Thank you Ernst for listening to the fans. My vote is to use the EP art.

Mystery Train

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:29 am

Actually 14 songs if you count both the the solo and duet versions of Today, Tomorrow and forever :!:

But whether a CD lasting about 30 minutes is good value :?:

This is an extract from the FTD/RCA original press release:-

"""

BMG has been streamlining the regular RCA Elvis catalog worldwide, refining the selection of Elvis material marketed to the public at large. A consequence of this is that a fair portion of Elvis’original music is becoming unavailable. To keep such material always available to the more serious Elvis fans, many of these masters will be re-released on the Follow That Dream label. They will be giving you the original album contents plus special bonus material. Here is the content outline applied to these releases:

7” format cover (like a single or EP)
Original back and front cover
3-panel gatefold sleeve
8-page booklet with photos and memorabilia
Original album content with original album EQ
All previously released outtakes (if space permits)
Previously unreleased outtakes (when available and space permits)
"""

As you see it refers to PREVIOUS albums and ORIGINAL artwork
It also refers to original album EQ.

How are they going to reproduce the original album EQ of a non-existent album?

Using the EQ from various LP's EP's and singles is not the same kettle of fish.

Right On This Site..

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:49 am

As we all know the FTD label will release three extra soundtracks at the end of this year or very early in the next one. Those soundtracks will be ' Viva Las Vegas ', ' Frankie And Johnny ' and ' Harum Scarum '. Unless late changes those will be the next ones in this new serie from FTD label.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:46 am

Kiwi Alan, I think you need a holiday you are being to pedantic. Take care, and don't forget your medication. :wink:

Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:32 pm

I do agree with some of Kiwi Alan’s points. The press release did refer to original albums, and “Viva Las Vegas” doesn’t fit into this category. It was my guess that BMG would issue all the original soundtrack albums first, and then make a decision as to how the rest of the material will be issued, but they’ve obviously got other ideas.

Personally, I like the idea of a “Viva Las Vegas” album, and agree with the general opinion on this message board that the movie is deserving of a soundtrack album in it’s own right. With the Double Features series being deleted from the catalogue, the majority of these tracks do fit into the deleted masters category, and would have to be
dealt with at some point.

What will happen with the rest of the soundtracks that didn’t warrant a full album release remains to be seen though. I don’t think BMG can really devote a full disc to the likes of “Stay Away Joe” or “The Trouble With Girls”, so there may still be some Double Features style releases at the end of this series.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:42 pm

rockinrebel wrote:What will happen with the rest of the soundtracks that didn’t warrant a full album release remains to be seen though. I don’t think BMG can really devote a full disc to the likes of “Stay Away Joe” or “The Trouble With Girls”, so there may still be some Double Features style releases at the end of this series.

I think you have got this right. I agree that they will probably finish the series with the doubles feature type disc, so as it all gets a release on this format. And I'm looking forward to them all. :D

8)

Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:55 pm

sam wrote:Kiwi Alan, I think you need a holiday you are being to pedantic. Take care, and don't forget your medication. :wink:

You're right - perhaps I should hop across to Australia for a couple of weeks and vegetate :lol:

Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:39 pm

I'm hoping for these FTD soundtrack releases:

* Viva Las Vegas (with lots of Ann-Margret)
* Roustabout
* Harem Holiday

:wink: