Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Graceland named a National Historic Landmark

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:18 am

This will be on the Today show Monday morning at 10, just thought that I would share this wonderful news with all you guys. Elvis sure would have loved this I think 8)

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:16 am

It already was to all of us here. What took the rest of the world so long?

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:39 am

I know it should have happened years ago.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:51 pm

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places several years ago. This makes for a handsome promotion.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Since Graceland is being designated a National Historic Landmark does this mean that there is definitely no way in Hades that Sillerman can rearrange or touch anything inside the house itself or rearrange anything?

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:56 pm

Not bad for a poor boy from Tupelo. It's great to see that Graceland will be recognized as a National Historic Landmark.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Interesting news.

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:Elvis sure would have loved this I think

I have to disagree here.

First off: that's kind of a non-sequitur. This would never have happened so long as Elvis was alive. It's getting this because of the significance it has taken on since his death.

Generally: Elvis was a private man and would probably be embarrassed or upset to hear of his home - the centre of anyone's privacy - being given this honour.

I'm not trying to rain negativity on this parade. It's good news. But it's also somewhat inevitable and meaningless. Just another link in the chain...

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:16 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Interesting news.

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I have to disagree here.

First off: that's kind of a non-sequitur. This would never have happened so long as Elvis was alive. It's getting this because of the significance it has taken on since his death.

Generally: Elvis was a private man and would probably be embarrassed or upset to hear of his home - the centre of anyone's privacy - being given this honour.

I'm not trying to rain negativity on this parade. It's good news. But it's also somewhat inevitable and meaningless. Just another link in the chain...

I was trying to think of something to add to this but I'll just say that I agree with this post. Remember, even when they were in the process of naming a street after Elvis, he wondered why they were making such a big deal out of it.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:35 pm

Exactly.

And, in elevating his home to this level of distinction, it's a way of saying: this house belongs to THE NATION. It's no longer tied to Elvis on any tangible level. Priscilla's internal makeover and decision to open it to the public stripped it of its intimacy; now it's very heritage has jumped up to the country-wide level. Elvis gets a little more distant every day...

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Since Graceland is being designated a National Historic Landmark does this mean that there is definitely no way in Hades that Sillerman can rearrange or touch anything inside the house itself or rearrange anything?

It's my understanding(I could be wrong) that Lisa still retains the rights to Graceland and its contents But it does mean that the house is under the protection of the US government and as such will not be allowed to fall into a state of decay or dis-repair. Much less ever "removed".

My guess is that the mangement of Graceland will go on pretty much unchanged.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:19 pm

JerryNodak wrote:It's my understanding(I could be wrong) that Lisa still retains the rights to Graceland and its contents

Yes she does.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:49 pm

it's all good.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:53 pm

InMemphis wrote:it's all good.

I think so to :wink:

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:13 am

Making Graceland a national historical landmark is something long overdue and I believe Elvis would have been honored .

Elvis' home is more famous than any other landmark including the White House.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:58 am

Elvis4ever wrote:Elvis' home is more famous than any other landmark including the White House.

As much as I would like to agree with that, I think we can concede that it is second to the White House. In fact, I have always heard it described that way, and that's still doing pretty damned well.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 am

Yeah, it is doing pretty darn good I would say, and its popularity is just going to keep spreading.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:09 am

I was wondering if since it is now a National Landmark if the government helps in the cost of the upkeep?

Hey I was just wonderin' don't bite my head off!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 am

JEFF d wrote:I was wondering if since it is now a National Landmark if the government helps in the cost of the upkeep?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Actually that's a good question JEFFd :wink:

I've checked this out and there is Federal funding available....

Here's the link to explain how it works:
http://www.cr.nps.gov/nhl/QA.htm

Plus here is the link for the video where Priscilla accepts the honour.
http://elvis.com/graceland/special/vide ... ndmark.asp

PEP 8)

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:38 pm

JEFF d wrote:I was wondering if since it is now a National Landmark if the government helps in the cost of the upkeep?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

That's a legitimate question. I was wondering the same thing myself.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:00 pm

Miss Norton's comments were spot on and Elvis would have been very proud of this honour.

It certainly makes me feel proud to be an Elvis fan.

Brian :D :D :D

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:22 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Exactly.

And, in elevating his home to this level of distinction, it's a way of saying: this house belongs to THE NATION. It's no longer tied to Elvis on any tangible level. Priscilla's internal makeover and decision to open it to the public stripped it of its intimacy; now it's very heritage has jumped up to the country-wide level. Elvis gets a little more distant every day...

Perhaps, but surely not as distant as he would get if the home hadn't been opened and there hadn't been a focal point for fans and the media during the last 25 yrs? This is just one further step to help ensure Elvis won't be lost to history.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:33 pm

Spot on TJ. This ensures that Graceland will remain the focal point of Elvis' legacy for a very long time. I think Elvis would probably be a bit embarrassed by the honour if he was alive, he was a fairly private person at home after all, but if he's looking down now I do believe he's a very happy man.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:35 pm

Congratulations for Elvis Presley!

EP

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:36 am

Congrats to the Presley Family. Lisa you should be very proud of your Father.

Re: EP

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:49 am

Barry wrote: Lisa you should be very proud of your Father.

A shame the reverse becomes less likely with each passing year.........and marriage.