Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

TAKE ME TO THE FAIR August master....NOT!!!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:33 pm

Does anyone agree with me that the supposed August master from acetate of "Take me to the fair" as included on the recent "Follow that dream" label release is merely the original version but with ukulele overdubbed for the movie? It sounds like exactly the same take to me!!
TONY DOBB

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:06 pm

Would this suggest that this so-called acetate was in fact just a tape dub off the film soundtrack?

Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:27 am

its not the record master. its the movie version.

Re: TAKE ME TO THE FAIR August master....NOT!!!

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:01 am

TONY wrote:Does anyone agree with me that the supposed August master from acetate of "Take me to the fair" as included on the recent "Follow that dream" label release is merely the original version but with ukulele overdubbed for the movie? It sounds like exactly the same take to me!!
TONY DOBB

Hi tony

maybe they was going to use the overdubbed version of "take me to the fair", but they went ahead for the undubbed master for record released.

i could be wrong on this, but you know rca they back then and did some strange things on elvis movie soundtrack's in the 60s

now look at the king creole soundtrack
1.the song "lover doll" on the ep version is the movie version
2.on the lp version they put the overdubbed version of "lover doll"

So i think this way they can make more money of the two release's.

curtis simpkins
curtis simpkins

"FAIR" COMMENT!

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:05 pm

As this was a different recording on a different date and session of "Take me to the fair", it would and should have a different feel or arrangement to it, just like the two versions of songs like "Memphis, Tennessee", "Ask me", "I think i'm gonna like it here" , "Loving you" etc. After all, a re-record would suggest that Elvis wasn't happy with the original. All this new "acetate" version sounds like to me is the original master with overdubs. Not that it's one of his best songs, but I thought it was worth pointing out.
TONY DOBB

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:49 pm

Tony

It's the level of detail and the fan's knowledge that (in theory) should keep RCA/FTD/BMG/Ernst on their toes!

Being old enough to remember the bad old days of the eighties, when no-one knew what was available, and any package thrown our way was gratefully recieved. It also provoked huge angst that RCA were holding back on us!

As things are we've never had it so good. I put this down to the knowledge of the fans. We need you, DJC, Rockin Rebel, FECC, the Bootleggers, EPCollector and his chums, people too numerous to mention to keep adding to the sum of knowledge that means we know better what's available and BMG don't treat us as cash-cows to be regularly milked dry.

I'll always pay for quality items, but I won't pay pay to have the same takes endlessly recycled.

All I'm really saying is keep up the good work. We all benefit in the long run.

Best wishes

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:13 am

IT'S NOT THE SEPT MASTER GUYS GO READ THE UPDATE ON MASTER AND SESSIONS.