Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

BUFFALO CONCERT APRIL 5TH 1972???

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:30 pm

According to page 344 of "A life in music" by Ernst Jorgensen, RCA recorded at the Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo. The book doesn't actually state what material was recorded there. Can anyone shed any light on this? Was it a full concert or just extracts? ERNST?!?
TONY DOBB

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:52 pm

Good question Tony. I have also wondered what actually was recorded on that date, the show or some rehearsals. I think they recorded some rehearsals, but i really hope they recorded the opening tour show too.

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:02 pm

I understand some footage was also recorded by MGM of the Buffalo show. Again, we don't know to what extent.
Someone should ask Ernst about this (both the RCA and MGM aspects) for the upcoming interview... I've already asked my question.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:04 pm

I don´t know if the whole show was filmed, but at least parts of it were filmed with a hand held camera without sound. The footage shown during the opening credits (Johnny B. Good) with Elvis in the Blue Nail Suit is supposed to be from the Buffalo concert.

As for recording the concert, I think it is, at least, highly possible that they recorded it on soundboard. They must have had something to work with before they started recording in Hampton Roads 4 days later.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:10 pm

It’s my understanding that Robert Abel made a film of the Buffalo concert which was used as a guide to the Elvis Presley show for the MGM camera crew that were due to start filming in Hampton Roads, Virginia on the evening of April 9, 1972.
I would agree with Stefan’s assessment that this was filmed by a single camera, and was also silent footage.

On the subject of the audio recording I have a feeling that the somewhat vague reference to the Buffalo date in Ernst’s “A Life In Music” could possibly refer to a pre-show rehearsal. Hopefully, Tunzi’s “Sessions III” may shed more light on this.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:16 pm

The footage in the movie ' Elvis On Tour ' where Elvis does ' I John ' with the Sweet Inspirations, and also when asking to Joe Esposito ' How much time we've got ' would be from the Buffalo rehearsals.

FECC Team

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:43 pm

As far as I can remember Jorgensen wrote in A Life In Music that they filmed the show in Boston, went back to Hollywood to analyze the show and joined the tour again in Hampton Roads. I remember that one of them two said something that much of what they had captured of Elvis' magic in Boston was already gone when they started filming on April 9th in Hampton Roads. I like the show pretty much but to be honest Elvis is behaving a little strange there if you watch the material from Lost Performances ...

So therefore it would be absolutley great if there'd be a release of this "opening" show in Boston. Elvis was always great on "opening night".

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:05 am

Behaving a little strange in what way??
Could you give an example?
He seems pretty much Elvis as always as far as I can tell...I don't see anyhting out of the ordinary...

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:43 am

SuspiciousMinds wrote:Behaving a little strange in what way??
Could you give an example?
He seems pretty much Elvis as always as far as I can tell...I don't see anyhting out of the ordinary...

Just BTW, I've noticed that I mixed up Boston and Buffalo. The April 5th, 1972 show was in Buffalo of course not Boston!

By saying "a little strange" I mean things like holding his middlefinger right into the camera at the end of, I guess, All Shook Up, the way he starts "Teddy Bear" over and over again, his water "attack" at Glen Hardin when he doesn't start the song he wanted to start (Can't Stop Loving You instead of "(Please) Release Me" which he announces), the comment "You've got the easy part" he throws at, I guess, JD Sumner during I Can't Stop Loving You and the overall feeling of the show.

He does this almost frightening performance of "Are You Lonesome Tonight" - a performance more wholehearted and honest like any other version I know of a songs he was usually making fun of. His comment "Thank you for listening" sounds as if he was talkin directly to Priscilla .. These are the things that seem a little "strange" to me somehow. All in all he doesn't seem to me as if he's completely into the show like he was in Texas, the show featured on the Close Up boxset ...

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:13 am

I always thought the Hampton show was the best one from that tour.
The throwing of water and the comments to the other band members were typical Elvis behaviour when performing, I'd say. It was the kind of inter-action that he liked to include to create the atmosphere he wanted. Like making comments towards the audience (in the middle of a song), kissing the women, lyric changes etc..

Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:40 am

Release Me wasn´t shot in Hampton Roads but in Greensboro, April 14th. 1972. What about Elvis having some fun during the intro for Teddy Bear/Don´t Be Cruel and I Can´t Stop oving You?? Is that a problem or what? :?

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:17 am

The Buffalo show of 05 April 1972 was reference videotaped, according to one of the directors. The Hampton Roads gig was apparently the first Presley concert to be filmed by MGM crews.

See a discussion of this topic here: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... .php?t=126