Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Duke Bardwell in T.R.O.U.B.L.E!

Post by thefunkyangel »

Spare a thought for Ol' Fluke (arghh I mean Duke!) because around this time, 31 years ago, Bardwell was thumping away on bass! Luckly for him, he survived the master, and no body overdubbed his part/s! Duke, if you're reading this, I bet you regret not holding on to the TCB necklace!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

If Duke's only claim to fame is playing on one of Elvis' BEST 1970s rock and roll songs, that's pretty damn cool.

Evidence does bear out he was not the best fit for the type of material Elvis was choosing to do in 1974-75, but it also shows a musician who also respected and cared for his boss.

Bardwell's comments on his days in the TCB band, found in the pages of "Elvis The Man And His Music," were quite moving. He saw both the good and bad, and regretted he was powerless to change what was going on with Elvis.

DJC

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Duke's bass playing is often criticised and as we know over-dubbed for much of the Today album. However, I love his playing on TROUBLE which still rates as my personal favourite Elvis track
rick

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

And don't forget he also toured with Elvis on one of his busiest tour years. That could be a source of many stories for his grandkids, if he has any.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Leave Duke alone.

We came to love and appreciate the playing of Jerry Scheff and rightly so. However, Duke did the best he could with what he had and could be counted on by Elvis. He often gets a bum rap that is not deserved.

He's all right in my book.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Too bad Elvis was not exactly nice to him before he left.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Quote: He's all right in my book.

Everybody's cashing in these days with a book. :D

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Duke's playing improved during his time with Elvis.. In March'75 Duke's playing is much better than March'74 (Memphis!)
Duke tried to copy Jerry Scheffs style, he shouldn't have done this.
Jerry is one of a kind.

About T.R.O.U.B.L.E: I seriously doubt it's Duke's bass on the single release version. I think it's not, the bass is also overdubbed!

Just get your new Today FTD and listen to the two versions (original master & the welknown Today version) the bass on this song is 100% different, everyone can notice easily..

The undubbed master of T.R.O.U.B.L.E (featuring Bardwell) is fabulous though, to me better than the Today version..

Cheers, RJ

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

T-r-o-u-b-l-e was not overdubbed in any form. The only difference with the rough mix is just that. The mix. Duke plays in the release version according to the sessions books and Duke himself in an interview.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Well if no overdubs took place on TROUBLE, then why is the original session mix different from the final master?
Why do we hear Voice on the final master, and not on the original session mix?
Give the two versions a listen JL, and you'll notice a different bassline on the the same take!
It's not even slightly different, but it's a complete different approach.
You don't have to be a sound expert to hear this.

Sometimes the human ear is more reliable than some written notes..

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The rough mix and the final mix are very different and can make it seem like another take when it is not. If the bass was overdubbed then it was done by Duke at the time of original sessions. T-r-o-u-b-l-e was not included in the other songs later overdubbed by two different bass players if my memory is correct from reading notes.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Well, I don't know who's bass playing it is on the final master..
Might be Duke allright, but it still is very different from the original session mix..
Again, give it a listen and you'll notice..

Personally I prefer the original session mix, it truly kicks ass!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

I have to agree, Robert.

Just take a listen to the outro of the song on the undubbed and single versions! As I've said before, I'm sure they're two very different bass lines.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Leroy
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Leroy »

The fact that the bass line is different does not automatically means it's another bass player. It well possible Duke played another line because he himself wasn't satisfied with the results. Or was asked by Elvis to do so.

There are a lot of stories concerning the relationship Elvis/Duke. I think Elvis had a hard time getting used to different faces on stage. First Emory Gordy Jr. en then Duke Bardwell. Elvis needed familiar faces and I sure think he did miss Jerry on stage. Elvis en Duke had some very good moments together and Elvis especially respected Duke's song writing abilities. He even wanted to record a song from Duke but wasn't allowed by Col. Parker because of the well known troubles of copyrights.

Fourteen years right down the drain, man, I'm tellin' ya!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Yeah, but some of Elvis' finest music came when he recorded with people he didn't know.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum