Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis~UP CLOSE

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:18 pm

I'm a bit surprised that there are not more fans on here talking about this fantastic release! I havent got to listen to all of it yet, but the concert really kicks ass! It sounds like it was recorded last wek! Just a teriific job all around on this release! Personally I think think this just may also have one of the finest booklets of any of the boxsets, I can't wait to listen to the rest of it! What do you all think of it?
JEFF d
Elvis fan!

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:20 pm

Jeff,
Where'd you end up getting yours and how much did you pay, if you don't mind telling us?

Tom

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:32 pm

Circuit City 64 bucks including the tax.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:44 pm

I got mine at Best Buy for $64.00, but right now they will give you a $10.00 gift certificate with the box set. Not a bad deal if you need to spend $10.00 at Best Buy for a pack of CDRs or whatever.

Greg

Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:25 pm

I got my copy at COSTCO for $44.95.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:28 pm

I have listened to the entire Close Up box to make CD-Rs for my car, but am now relistening in detail. Some preliminary reactions:

Disc 1 ("Stereo '50s): I like the binarual sound -- it's warmer and more real in my opinion than MONO. The '50s masters we are all familiar with, but, again, they sound better, in my opinion, in binaural. Standouts are the Jailhouse Rock songs. Both versions of Treat Me Nice are a treat (no pun intended) and very different. (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care is also very different. Elvis is tired and comments before doing the song that they are wasting tape and that it's too late in the day to be recording anymore songs.

Disc 2 ("Move Songs"), as you know, concentrates on Elvis' first 4 movies of the '60s. In my opinion, Summer Kisses, Winter Tears is the standout -- slower and very beautiful. Most of the Wild In The County songs are the acoustic versions and sound beautiful in the CD format with no hiss or noise. I remember vinyl and how noisy Elvis' ballad sounded after a few plays. The Blue Hawaii songs sound wonderful. I like Moonlight Swim (without the girls overdubbed as originally released) -- pure Elvis!

I've only started listening to Disc 3. Make Me Know It, take 1, is really very good since it's Elvis' very first attempt at a song after the army -- it screams "release" and "freedom." Can you imagine how Elvis must have felt to be back in the studio after nearly two long years in the army? Soldier Boy has Chet Atkins admonishment to the Jordainaires that they sounded "a little rough." Well, that's as far as I've gotten. More later.

To me, Close Up is a quantum leap above Today, Tomorrow & Forever, which was good, but disjointed with its attempt to "fly speck" all of Elvis' sessions.

Mystery Train

CLOSE UP

Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:36 pm

Got mine for 56 € at fnac , I think it is cheaper than tt&f was.

Great Box, San Antonio is great for the sound and performance. Better of course than all the sounboards of this period (ie Hampton Road).

Well worth the purchase.

Regards Dan

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:39 pm

I'm gettin' mine tonight! (err, the Close-up box that is) :lol: I'll let you all know what I think tommorrow.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:26 am

Here's my thoughts: I love it!

I like the 'full' sound on the binaural tracks. I did'nt really care for the Essential Elvis cd with binaural, but I like these. The sound on all 4 disc's is awesome!!

I love the laughing and joking Elvis does on disc 1 before some of the songs.

I am a huge fan of the Nashville recordings of the 60's. So I really enjoyed disc 2. I was a little disappointed that they left off the false start of "Night Rider" as it kind of goes with take 1. I also would have liked to see a few of the false starts before "His Latest Flame" included ( similar to disc 2 -'Can't Help Falling in Love'). There is plenty of space (time) on the disc's.

Overall a great set. I paid a total of $62 for mine. Thats MUCH cheaper than 4 FTD's.

RKS

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:25 am

I looked for the set in our local Sam Goody and Wal-Mart, and it was not to be found anywhere. Fortunately, I have made other arrangements and will be enjoying the set within a day or two! Looking forward to it.....

Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:58 am

Just purchased the Close up set earlier today and am really impressed with the soundquality especially of the 50s stereo tracks..Interesting to hear Elvis break into Loving you for a sec during the session for Tonight is so right for love and saying the good ol days (He probably missed the high quality songs from the 50s movies already.. As for the 72 Texas concert , I would have preferred the powder blue jumpsuit performance from the first recorded show on tour because Elvis was in a really good mood and alittle more powerful voice or a complete Jan-feb 72 Vegas show ..the Texas show has a good mix but I think is a show where he is more on auto pilot.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:07 am

binaural recordings are 100%better than the mono ones.
i hope we get more of the 57 sessions on ftd in binaural.
that one period they could use on ftd they haven't yet.
this is another great set ernst&co. keep up the great work.
the set satifys the 50s fan the 60s fan even the 70s fan.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:01 pm

Awesome issue, keep them coming BMG. Thanks