Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

My Way

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:45 pm

What version is on disc 4 of Platinum Box Set?

I have the set in storage and only the mp3 on my computer with no details other than title.

Thanks
Jon

My Way

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:57 pm

It's a live version recorded on May 2nd 1977 in Chicago, although the Platinum booklet states it was recorded on 25th April. The version of My Way from this date was intended for Platinum originally, but now can be found on The Spring Tours FTD.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:59 pm

thanks

Re: My Way

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:10 pm

Mark Nicholson wrote:It's a live version recorded on May 2nd 1977 in Chicago, although the Platinum booklet states it was recorded on 25th April. The version of My Way from this date was intended for Platinum originally, but now can be found on The Spring Tours FTD.

That´s wrong!

The version on Platinum is the same version that can be found on the Spring Tours ´77 cd and was recorded in Saginaw, Michigan April 25th 1977.

The Chicago version is not yet released officially!

Kind regards,
Stefan

My Way

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:20 pm

I've not yet done an actual comparison of the two discs, but I've largely based my response on the updated (?) information supplied in Ernst's A Life In Music session book...

Re: My Way

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:34 pm

That´s wrong!

The version on Platinum is the same version that can be found on the Spring Tours ´77 cd and was recorded in Saginaw, Michigan April 25th 1977.

The Chicago version is not yet released officially!

Kind regards,
Stefan

I concur.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:44 pm

I compared them awhile back. Stefan is correct. They are one and the same.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:33 am

Indeed the Platinum and Spring Tours versions are one and the same. It is Ernst Jorgensen's book A Life in Music that is incorrect.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:12 pm

The notes in the Platinum box booklet are also wrong when it refers to this being the last recorded version of "My Way." Sloppy research!

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:11 am

Pete:

I have an explanation for this. There are actually a couple of words missing from all pressings of the Platinum sleeve notes. What Ernst actually meant to say was that it was the last version of My Way recorded that day.

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:03 pm

I don't have the Platinum set in front of me, but wasn't it Colin Escott who wrote the liner notes to it?

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:13 pm

R.R.Police wrote:I don't have the Platinum set in front of me, but wasn't it Colin Escott who wrote the liner notes to it?

Yes. Like most recent BMG collections Colin Escott wrote the sleeve notes, not Ernst.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:19 am

Thank you, RR Police, for pointing out my error. However, my post was actually meant as a joke, and therefore it wouldn't matter if I had put Ernst's name or Jim Carrey's, for that matter. Since you are already a member of the R 'n' R Police, I suggest you try 2 other departments, the Sense of Humour and Get a Life Police! :D

My Way

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:38 am

This is turning a bit ugly! I still feel like a tit for my gaffe above, but there is some truth to the comments I made. I definitely did read that a live 1977 version of My Way was substituted somewhere, sometime on some release... It's possible the Chicago version was originally intended for Platinum, hence Ernst listing it as such in his book.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:44 am

There´s only one person that knows the answer, and that´s Ernst himself...personaly I think that he just made an error in his book.

Kind regards,
Stefan

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:49 am

Stephen Butler wrote:Thank you, RR Police, for pointing out my error. However, my post was actually meant as a joke, and therefore it wouldn't matter if I had put Ernst's name or Jim Carrey's, for that matter. Since you are already a member of the R 'n' R Police, I suggest you try 2 other departments, the Sense of Humour and Get a Life Police! :D

That's it, I'm sending the bloodhounds for you!
You should hear them on your trail pretty soon, and you will be arrested in the name of the leauw :wink:

PS: When I studied the script and was given the part of Rock & Roll Police, it said nothing about sense of humour. The R.R.Police is dedicated to serve and protect the correct opinions about music, and arrest everybody who mistakenly thinks otherwise than me.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:51 pm

R.R.Police wrote: and arrest everybody who mistakenly thinks otherwise than me.

You're not related to Doc Carpenter are you??? :wink:

:lol:

Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:18 pm

Not that I know of.
But I often rely on his information if my own, Heaven forbid, is inadequate 8)