Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question concerning the San Antonio concert.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:54 am

My first impressions of Close Up are quite positive, sounds nice after listening to half of it. I am wondering tho, has the San Antonio show been edited? I listened to the first 7 tracks and he doesnt really address the crowd until after track 7-Polk Salad Annie which I found strange.. A buddy of mine who won an advanced copy on first listenings says the show is edited and in between song banter and comments is edited.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:49 am

Would this be for timing reasons?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:06 am

Possibly, just wondering. if i dont get any good answers, sounds like a good question to pose to Ernst for the interview!

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:08 am

The Welcome To San Antonio cd is 5 seconds shorter.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:13 pm

I guess the only way to know for sure is to check out the import CD "Welcome In San Antone".
I haven't heard this in a while so unfortunately I can't comment about the editing but
I don't believe the run time of this show is anywhere near 80 minutes -
meaning there'd be no need to edit the show for timing reasons (JMO).
I'll give this CD a listen tonight.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:53 pm

Kylan, from what I've read and heard (on soundboards and the MSG shows) Elvis' 1972 performance style was to go out and do one song after another with very little between songs banter. I think he adopted this "businesslike" approach in response to being criticized for talking and joking with the audience too much during the summer 71 Vegas stand.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:06 pm

Hi Pete!

Wasn't Elvis told (by the Colonel) to "cut the chatter" after his 1969 Vegas engagement? (shows were running too long)
He adopted this similar approach for his February 1970 engagement with a much more straight ahead, get the job done show.
I wonder though, by 1972, especially while on tour, why Elvis would need or want to limit his amount of audience banter?
I thought that was one of the things he loved about performing before a live audience?
This was the 18th show in a 19 show, 15 city / 15 day tour. I imagine Elvis was pretty run down by that point.
It's just amazing to me that he could still put on such a stellar performance!!!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:13 am

I don't think this show was edited, especially for time. It is only 55 min. long. Plenty of space on the disc.

RKS

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:39 am

I just got my copy of this show, and I must say that I was very impressed with the mixing and the overall feeling of this concert. I feel the sound on this show rivals the MSG shows that were released.

I noticed what I thought might be a small bit of editing right after CC Rider and again right after Proud Mary. In any case - whether they edited or didn't edit, the guys at RCA did a good job on this one, and I cannot wait to hear the other shows from this tour (especially Hampton VA).

Thanks RCA/BMG, Ernst, Dennis, Curtis, Etc for this one -
KEEP EM' COMING!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:25 am

Yes the San Antonio show has been edited. If you listen to Elvis right before he starts 'Funny How Time Slips Away', he says that they will be doing another 25 - 30 songs. What happened? There are only two more on the disc.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:11 am

LOL!!!
:D :D :D :D

BUFFALO, APRIL 5TH 1972????

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:28 pm

According to Ernst's book "A life in music", some material was recorded in Buffalo on April 5th, but the book does not state what they were or wether it was a full concert. See page 344 of the book.
Anyone any ideas??
TONY DOBB