Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Close up Disc 4 / Hammond Organ??

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:04 am

Thanks for the great reviews guys!! Sounds like a great show, with great sound and Elvis in great form.

This may sound kinda corny, but I was looking forward to this San Antonio show--with the icing on the cake being the unusually heavy use of the hammond organ. Gives a different and refreshing texture than most Elvis concerts. Very cool.

So the 64 milllion dollar question on Close Up Disc 4: Did Ferrante, who is rumored to dislike keyboards, delete the Hammond organ or mix it extremely low so as to minimize the grooviness factor? I'm thinking about getting this, but I'm just curious as to how Ferrante treated the organ.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:12 am

Hi MBL!

Unfortunately, to my ears, I hear no evidence of the organ in any of the numbers from "Live In Texas 1972".
I will give it another listen to confirm.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:23 am

http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audi ... ntonio.htm

Thanks for checking!

The link above has some sound samples from the original soundboard bootleg. Obviously, this original bootleg is poorly mixed and the instruments are way out of balance--including the organ.

But the sound samples reveal that someone was playing the Hammond organ throughout this show. And their comping is very funky and soulful.

It would be puzzling, however, if Ferrante chose to eliminate the organ completely. I just don't understand his dislike of keyboards and penchant for deletion.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:50 am

Hi!

The Hammond is there, but it's mostly way back in the mix unfortunatly.
For instance, the 'licks' in Hound Dog are almost unaudible.
I really hoped it would be louder...

Best wishes
/Jonathan

Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:08 am

Do we know if the organ was recorded on a different track? Problem those days was that they had a limited ammount of tracks and some instrument couuldnàt have their own - especially when taking into consideration Elvis' big group. The fact that you can hear it in the sound bord doesn't mean the trak is recorded. The sound bouard is from the mixing console that of course must have the different imputs.

I have always been interested in how the tracks were used for Elvis in the seventies sessions or live concerts, so what sort of separation we have. Does anybody know that?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:22 am

I believe that the bootleg is not a PA-soundboard recording, but a rough (& odd!) mix from the multitrack tape.
(Why would the sound technician mix the concert sound like that?)

I haven't seen 'track sheets' for the April '72 recordings, but I would find it strange if the organ had to share a track with another instrument.
But then again, when they made the recordings for TTWII, all drums were laid on one track, while Charlie Hodge had two (!).

/Jonathan

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:43 pm

don't know if the organ was recorded on its own track, but the show was recorded to 16 track. so that's more than sufficient--if the wanted too.

remember, the 1969 International stuff was recorded on 8 track, and they had a separate track for the electronic keyboards. how do i know? if you compare the mixes on collectors gold with live at the international, you can hear the differences in volume and pan placement of the keyboards.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:29 pm

Hi!

They had the organ on a separate channel for the TTWII recordings also. (16 tracks). But we haven't heard much of it due to the "anti-vintage-keyboards-mixing"...

The guy plays some great organ on that boot of the Texas show. Very cool Hammond indeed.
Anyone knows his name? I presume it's the regular keyboard player of The Joe Guercio Orchestra?

/Jonathan