Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Let Me 50 years On.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:28 pm

Image bought in 1962.

The beauty of DVD/VIDEO is we can watch Elvis in action singing just one song repeatedly.

I've been looking at him sing "Let Me" this morning because of what Brian Quinn said about it being our first chance to actually see him gyrating......and it was. We in Europe did not see the 56 TV stuff till many years later!!!!!! :evil:

Anyway, Robert Mathew-Walker in his book "Elvis Presley: A Study in Music" says,
" 'Let Me' is pure country music. The song is hardly outstanding, but Presley's performance is so good, that people could well be converted after hearing it".

We were.

Back then the lyrics were as innocent as the day, we were too, but think about them after all the talk of the double meanings attributed to other songs Elvis covered, and 'Let Me' becomes a little more audacious if not dangerous. :lol:

Debra Paget was just so exquisite.

50 Years ago teenagers were not quite the same wordly-wise, critical, bored out of their minds creatures we see around us these days :roll:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:13 pm

Maurice: Fifty years ago I was six years old. Where has the time gone? It was a simpler, more innocent time. In many ways a better time. To borrow a phrase from my mother: "Back then we knew how to make our own fun". Nowadays too many kids expect the fun to be made for them.

Re: Let Me 50 years On.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:50 Years ago teenagers were not quite the same wordly-wise, critical, bored out of their minds creatures we see around us these days :roll:

Maybe not.

But we [in the UK, anyway] clearly understood the 'naughty' aspects of the suggestive lyrics
[just what was it he wanted her to take a chance and let him do?].

All is explained [and forgiven] by the final line:

"Let me have another dance with you" !

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:53 pm

ColinB wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:50 Years ago teenagers were not quite the same wordly-wise, critical, bored out of their minds creatures we see around us these days :roll:

Maybe not.

But we [in the UK, anyway] clearly understood the 'naughty' aspects of the suggestive lyrics
[just what was it he wanted her to take a chance and let him do?].

All is explained [and forgiven] by the final line:

"Let me have another dance with you" !

Christ, how are you guys! :lol:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:01 pm

Joe Car wrote:Christ, how are you guys! :lol:

Fine, just fine.

Hair went years ago, but all my own teeth [well an odd cap here & there] and all faculties present & correct.

Pardon ?

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:15 pm

Colin, I was living in the UK when "Love Me Tender" opened at a cinema in Birmingham.

What kind of dance did ELVIS mean :lol:

We actually danced very close to girls back then...............very close indeed :wink:

Jerry, 50 years ago I was 14.

Girls were a Major interest...yes we made up games as we went along :lol:

We are just back from the cinema so we are still doing what we did 50 years ago.......................