Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why wasn't "Now or Never" or "Trying to get t

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:32 am

Instead of some of the mediocre performances which were part of EIC, how come these songs aren't in EIC? Both of these performances are good performances and should have been in the show.

I was shocked that Elvis could still do a good job of Trying to get to you in 1977, but he did. In fact, it's most impressive. Not as good as 68, but good in a different way. His voice was still very powerful in 77.

As a side note, The Hawaian Wedding Song is a good performance and probably should have been in the show too....

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:22 pm

Oh yes, Trying To Get To You from Rapid City is one of all time favorites, I play it very often. Should have been in the 77 special together with Now Or Never, Unchained Melody, If You Love Me Let Me Know, Fairytale and And I Love You So. Last two from Omaha 77 ofcourse....

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:28 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:Oh yes, Trying To Get To You from Rapid City is one of all time favorites, I play it very often. Should have been in the 77 special together with Now Or Never, Unchained Melody, If You Love Me Let Me Know, Fairytale and And I Love You So. Last two from Omaha 77 ofcourse....

Ton Bruins -
I have to disagree about Fairytale and And I Love You So. Elvis sounds too sluggish on those versions. If only Elvis' performance level in Omaha had been as good (relatively speaking) as it was in Rapid City then CBS would've had more to work with.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:32 am

The undubbed version of And I Love You So is terrible. Watch the performance of it and listen as Elvis sings the words hand and belief. Both are very flat and way out of key.

It was repaired for the album and sounds much better, but the raw footage of the song was pretty bad.

try and tested

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:32 am

Unfortunately, Elvis' untimely death made the CBS people re-evaulate the special and due to the ground-swell of media attention they drastically cut the special as a sad and painful swan-song. This is the reason we have so many 'throw-away' hits - 'Teddy Bear, Don't Be Cruel, Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock'. I believe the special if it was ever gonna be shown, would of been more contemporary. I guess we were lucky to even get 'Hurt'!

I do think the FTD label (if we ever get a DVD spin-off) is the perfect vehicle for giving us the footage with-out the negative press attention of a mainstream, I guess if their is money to be made - it will happen eventually?

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:13 pm

I don't think that FTD will release a dvd. Simple because it's too expensive and I don't think that they have the copyrights. But if everything else is released I guess sooner or later we'll get a SE of Elvis In Concert. But it's more likely that FTD will release an updated version of the soundtrack.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Ton Bruins wrote: Should have been in the 77 special together with Now Or Never, Unchained Melody, If You Love Me Let Me Know, Fairytale and And I Love You So. Last two from Omaha 77 ofcourse....

Fairytale from Omaha is a fine version indeed!
We have discussed this many times before.. lots of wrong choices were made for the CBS special..

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:24 pm

no sorry i thought unchained melody was awful but i did like its now or never very powerful. :cry:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:38 pm

rocknroller wrote:no sorry i thought unchained melody was awful but i did like its now or never very powerful. :cry:

Elvis usually extracted more from a song than anyone else seemed to manage.

But somehow he misfired on Unchained Melody !

They actually improved things by editing out some of his unnecessary 'Oohs' on records, but they reappear on the video version !

Not Elvis' best interpretation of an old song.

Maybe he would have handled it better in a studio environment.

Just compare it with his superior rendition of Pledging My Love.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:44 pm

yes you are so right colin b.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Rob wrote:The undubbed version of And I Love You So is terrible. Watch the performance of it and listen as Elvis sings the words hand and belief. Both are very flat and way out of key.

I have noticed that through the years. This is one of the reasons I donĀ“t like these versions.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:33 pm

"And I Love You So" was always pitched in too low a key. Same goes for "Early Morning Rain". I never quite understood this.

Steve Morse

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:24 am

Steve Morse wrote:"And I Love You So" was always pitched in too low a key. Same goes for "Early Morning Rain". I never quite understood this.

Steve Morse

I agree with you there, however with regard to 'Early Morning Rain', I think the low key contributes to the lonely feeling of the song.

K.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:45 am

Colin, that version of unchained melody never ceases to amaze me, his voice is so powerful it sends chills up my spine