Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:28 am

Elvis was much heavier than he should have been. By 1977 (and before), the jumpsuits looked quite unflattering. Once he reached a certain weight, there should have been a change of wardrobe.

I have heard many a fool comment about how fat Elvis was during the Aloha concert. These people stereotype Elvis in the 70's as being fat no matter what the period. They see a white jumpsuit and say "Oh, that's when he was fat."

It's hopeless.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:03 am

exactly
i remember showing a girl in my class a photo of TTWII, and she asked, 'is he fat there?'
pure ignorance :roll:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:04 am

In that Don King HBO movie..which I don't know if it ever happened..but it was good quote nonetheless.

How are you gonna tell a God that he isn't God anymore?

Elvis should have slowed down. Should have taken a look at himself. Same as Ali should have taken a hard look at what he was up against.

Though being a fighter is not the same as a boxer, I do feel the "falls" of both were very similiar.

But I say. SO WHAT. Who cares. If they "fell", then that is their right. How else are the gonna come off a high that is so very HIGH??

Still, like I said, even at their worst. There are glimmers. Ali didn't lose to Holmes because of lack of ability. He had several things going against him. Age, not enough preparation, ego, and a disease that was at its beginning.

Yet, despite how people would love to make fun of him, there is no denying the incredible legacy he left behind.

Elvis should be given more respect too. And yes, he along with Ali, should have all their material made public. Good or bad.

Whats going to happen? People are going to turn their backs and forget how very great they were? Yeah right.

Some people would rather run around and try to cover up the tracks. This is the very thing that hurts the perception. Complete denial of the COMPLETE story.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:19 am

genesim wrote:Some people would rather run around and try to cover up the tracks. This is the very thing that hurts the perception. Complete denial of the COMPLETE story.

How do you work that out? There is no denial that Elvis had a drug problem, gained lots of weight and met an untimely death. When has EPE suggested otherwise? There is, however, an effort by EPE not to promote or dwell on these negative aspects of his career. I think that's pretty understandable considering how these things have been unsympathetically dealt with by the media in the past. We are still seeing the effects of that today as, like it or not, Elvis' later years are the subject of ridicule. Ramming it down people's throats again would just lead to a new round of Elvis bashing, not a deeper understanding and appreciation of the man. If we lived in a kinder world with a responsible media, I might agree with you. We don't. In the past, the negatives have been in danger of overshadowing the positives, to the point that Elvis is seen by some as a cultural joke. There has been somewhat of a resurrection in recent years and I can't imagine why anyone would want to undermine that.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:14 pm

genesim wrote:He had fallen so far that he still delivered the pinacle perfomance of My Way EVER!

Long live the King.

P.S. I laugh at the fools who "care" for a man they never knew. I believe in empathy..but even that can only go so far.

Elvis never "fell", because he was a human being with faults like all of us. Some of the know it alls on this board would have probably croaked years earlier under the same circumstances.

Very well said. In all my life I've never really understood how dismissing a person, insulting him, defaming him, trying to destroy not only the man's accomplishments but in fact the person itself can be brought together with the idea of "caring for somebody". It's not only impossible but perverse in the first place. People who mix this up have an enormous emotional problem IMO. In our western world this is a very common and accepted problem, though.

Thanks for your post, genesim!

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:08 pm

Thx see-see :D Likewise!

Tj,

Did I say "ram it down people's throats"? There is a difference between simply making the stuff available....and going around taking in costumes, only showing "good" pictures...etc.

Hell if they don't want to "ram it down..." just do as they have done. Release the product, with no promotion. Or hell promote it anyway. The damage is a thing of the past. The jokes have already been told. I expect they will be told again. Who cares???

I have made a comparison with Elvis and Godzilla before, and it still stands. Elvis was never "hurt" because he is a dead guy. May he R.I.P. but the truth still stands. His records will continue to sell and the non-believers will likely stay that way. All couple thousand of them. :lol:

The resurrection had very little to do with EPE and more to do with Ernst and co. For bad or for good, the 50's box set was the beginning, and the COMPLETE representation of E's material in a intelligent package, helped garner the sales and present to the world the Elvis that people missed. The music did the talking. Not the niptuck that EPE or Ernst doing later with the 70's box did???!!!

When a movie or the final material exists in complete form, only then will the big picture be complete. Rest assured the fat jokes will comeback...then leave...then comeback. But the problem is that the hardcore fans that went out and bought the material will be getting on without the final piece.

This is sad. Elvis fans like that deserve better.

You see there are people that only enjoy greatest hits and will hunt and peck over only the "critical" successes, and there are others that understand the artist on a much deeper basis. I consider myself the latter. The only thing that stops me from more. TIME.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Beautifully said genesim!

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:26 pm

genesim wrote:Thx see-see :D Likewise!

Tj,

Did I say "ram it down people's throats"? There is a difference between simply making the stuff available....and going around taking in costumes, only showing "good" pictures...etc.

Hell if they don't want to "ram it down..." just do as they have done. Release the product, with no promotion. Or hell promote it anyway. The damage is a thing of the past. The jokes have already been told. I expect they will be told again. Who cares???

I have made a comparison with Elvis and Godzilla before, and it still stands. Elvis was never "hurt" because he is a dead guy. May he R.I.P. but the truth still stands. His records will continue to sell and the non-believers will likely stay that way. All couple thousand of them. :lol:

The resurrection had very little to do with EPE and more to do with Ernst and co. For bad or for good, the 50's box set was the beginning, and the COMPLETE representation of E's material in a intelligent package, helped garner the sales and present to the world the Elvis that people missed. The music did the talking. Not the niptuck that EPE or Ernst doing later with the 70's box did???!!!

When a movie or the final material exists in complete form, only then will the big picture be complete. Rest assured the fat jokes will comeback...then leave...then comeback. But the problem is that the hardcore fans that went out and bought the material will be getting on without the final piece.

This is sad. Elvis fans like that deserve better.

You see there are people that only enjoy greatest hits and will hunt and peck over only the "critical" successes, and there are others that understand the artist on a much deeper basis. I consider myself the latter. The only thing that stops me from more. TIME.

I think most of us on here understand the artist on a deeper level than those who only listen to the critical successes. At the same time, we care about Elvis' legacy. I want future generations to be given an accurate picture of who Elvis was and what he achieved - how bloody great he was! Elvis deserves to be remembered for generations to come and remembered in a positive way. How many potential fans do you think have never discovered Elvis because of the appalling parody of the man presented by the media? We do not need another round of that.

Anyway, you speak as if this material isn't available. Anyone who really wants the show can get it fairly easily these days and in pretty good quality. I would just prefer that people access this material from the vantage point of already being a fan.

I really don't know why we think we have the right to see an official release of this anyway. Do Sinatra fans moan incessantly about their lack of opportunities to see Ole Blue Eyes mumbling lyrics and messing up in his last shows? I doubt it.