Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis wasn't so big in 1977

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:48 am

I just got through watching EIC again....To my eyes, he really isn't that overweight. I'm about 6'0 and 200 pounds (a little overweight) and I don't think EP was that much overweight than I am. I think the issue might have been that his jumpsuit was a bit too tight. From what I understand, Elvis was about 6'0 or so and perhaps toward the end he might have been about 215-225....Not in good shape, but not as bad as everybody says. Probably not as bad as most 42 year old men.

I visited Graceland 3 months ago and I found it hard to believe how small Elvis's clothes were....Even the Sundial suit looks pretty small.

I think Elvis gets a bum rap for being so big in 77....He wasn't skinny like in 69-70, but he certainly wasn't the lard ass that people want to say he was.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:59 am

You're absolutely right. Besides that he was retaining water so it wasn't fat. He was bloathed. But....don't get fooled by the suits in Graceland. They do everything to deny. Most of the later suits have been taken in.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Lately, there have been many terrific shots of EP in his final months. Yes there were not so nice photos (which journalists and rag magazines would show) but if you visit this site and other sites for photos, there are some beauties.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:17 pm

I disagree. Elvis was way too fat for a superstar and singer like him.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:36 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:I disagree. Elvis was way too fat for a superstar and singer like him.

So, superstars and singers aren't allowed to be human? Funny, I don't think gaining weight made him any less of a superstar or a singer. But IMO, your comment certainly makes you less of a person. :roll:

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:17 pm

You're pathatic. I am a good person by the way...it's just my opinion, nothing more. He was too fat and too sick in 1977 that´s all and I tell you what...Elvis himself knew that...as a fact....that doesn't chance my opinion about Elvis, I love him as a person and as a singer but he was too fat and too ill in 1977 and even before 1977. Of course he was human, I know that but he didn't had a good health and took too much pills and all that stuff....he had to be in a hospital in 1977...take care of himself...stop doing shows for a while..take a reall good look at the CBS Special 77...he was sick and fat and not in a good health...period !!

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Apart from his charisma and quality as a singer, Elvis was famous for being "handsome". He left himself go in the 3 last years, and it's clearly noticeable, esp in the summer tour of 76 and through all 77 (despite some moments when he looked fat but not ill). In the CBS Show Elvis was very fat, no doubt on this. Said this, I think we should also note that he was more bloated than fat (in July and Aug 76 he looked more of an obese man to me)

Fat or not

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:51 pm

There were/are more "stars" fat so it is extremely unfair... Mama Cass was always fat, Meatloaf was extremely fat at times, especially late 70s, Barry White... there are more examples of it. The problem is that Elvis was always judged differently, more critically that these. Elvis real problem in last years was not that he was fat but that he was taking too big doses of pills.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Obviously the less sympathetic will call it fat, there's some compassion in calling it bloated.

However, whichever way we choose to call it, the fact is that at that stage Elvis was desperately ill. He shouldn't have been on stage, or on tour or in a studio.

I don't know if I believe Lamar fike when he says he suggested to Elvis taking a year off to get get himself straightened out, but in 1977 that's what Elvis should have done. Regardless of whether you consider Elvis pulled a magnificent show out of the hat, or if you think he stumbled around stage barely able to put a sentence togther, he should have been elswhere.

I do blame Parker, but I also blame Elvis, he should never have been in that position in the first place.

Geoff

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:38 pm

I don`t care if he was fat or not...his musical skills didn´t suffer from that....his voice was still on top....perhaps better than ever..

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:10 pm

What I can´t understand is why someone so welltrained up to january 1973, totally loses it and let´s himself go way downhill. January 14, 1973 is the last look at a superfit King. I´m sad that it went that way.
Can anyone confirm that Johnny Carson actually said Elvis was fat and forty, or has it just been a rumour all these years. I need proof.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:28 pm

drghanem wrote:What I can´t understand is why someone so welltrained up to january 1973, totally loses it and let´s himself go way downhill. January 14, 1973 is the last look at a superfit King. I´m sad that it went that way.
Can anyone confirm that Johnny Carson actually said Elvis was fat and forty, or has it just been a rumour all these years. I need proof.


I saw him in Mar of 74 and June of 75 and he looked fit both times.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:32 pm

What I can´t understand is why someone so welltrained up to january 1973, totally loses it and let´s himself go way downhill.


Drug addiction and depression. Well-known sad facts about the King.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:12 pm

Edit out.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis wasn't so big in 1977

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:10 am

tsc4280 wrote: I don't think EP was that much overweight. I think the issue might have been that his jumpsuit was a bit too tight.



That explains it all - he wasn't fat - the suits were too tight :!:

And the reason for the tight suits? - it was an attempt to make it easier for Elvis to reach the high notes on Unchained Melody :D

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:23 am

how come when people like oprah,rosie o donnell are fat people seem to celebrate it and when elvis is fat people seem to demonize him..

Re: Elvis wasn't so big in 1977

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:30 am

tsc4280 wrote:I just got through watching EIC again....To my eyes, he really isn't that overweight ... Elvis gets a bum rap for being so big in 77...

Please, stop. This subject comes up again and again. Take off the rose-colored glasses.

Elvis' weight issue was part and parcel with his evident ill health, and when he died less than two months after the CBS taping, the media had a field day.

Besides his awful appearance on network TV that October underscoring his tragic decline, it also amplified how far an incredibly good-looking, virile and sexual performer had fallen. And that's a valid point for critics to make, especially those who really cared for the man.

DJC

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:36 am

well said drjohn thats enough of this topic..

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:26 am

He had fallen so far that he still delivered the pinacle perfomance of My Way EVER!

Long live the King.

P.S. I laugh at the fools who "care" for a man they never knew. I believe in empathy..but even that can only go so far.

Elvis never "fell", because he was a human being with faults like all of us. Some of the know it alls on this board would have probably croaked years earlier under the same circumstances.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:12 am

why do people over and over again try tell us how they would have done things? i myself dont wear these rose colered glasses people like to bring up, but i do however know how to be respectful,id not call any one fat, and the more i hear people talk i understand more and more why he was so fed up with everything. could he had really made everyone happy? enjoy the music & stop picking apart his personal life cause no matter how much u think u know what u would have or would not have done you want change anything, and i dont care how much of an elvis expert anyone is, they dont know what they would have done,this seems to have become our society were all human and some of us will make mistakes others never would, but no one is flawless, but it seems some want us to think that they are,this repsect is not only for stars but for anyone and everyone. thats all folks

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:27 am

He looks pretty darn good in the pic of the week, August 4th 1976.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:11 am

Besides his awful appearance on network TV that October underscoring his tragic decline, it also amplified how far an incredibly good-looking, virile and sexual performer had fallen. And that's a valid point for critics to make, especially those who really cared for the man.


That is the point, EPE will never allow this footage to completely released. They have spent millions of dollars and years shaping a positive image of Elvis. It is crazy to think they will turn around and release this footage. Some fans convince themselves that EIC is a quality project, and while Elvis may have performed a few tracks well, it is far from the brilliant performer he once had been and most importantly, it is far from the image EPE has worked so hard to protect.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:15 am

midnightx wrote:They have spent millions of dollars and years shaping a positive image of Elvis. It is crazy to think they will turn around and release this footage. Some fans convince themselves that EIC is a quality project, and while Elvis may have performed a few tracks well, it is far from the brilliant performer he once had been and most importantly, it is far from the image EPE has worked so hard to protect.


Of course, you can still buy Elvis sunglasses *with sideburns on them* at the Graceland Shops...
I agree with your points, but only to a point. How can they not release EIC over concern for his image when they sell crap like that, and allow impersonators (largely AMATUERS) to perform across the street from Graceland during tribute week?
EPE is being a little duplicitous, I think.

Axe

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:27 am

What a CROCK!

Elvis material should be released warts and all.

The best fighter in the world Muhammed Ali had many fights that weren't so great. Matter of fact, his last couple of outings I firmly believe that he was high on drugs.

So what. It is part of history. Bad or good, why disguise it?

That is why Elvis has been the joke, because of the "experts" who only want to show the sanitized image.

Yet ignoring the fact that at his worst, Elvis was still a huge concert draw, and a firm country artist.

I enjoy his last recording sessions and his last concerts have the few highlights. And as the first poster tsc4280 points out...no Elvis didn't deserve all the "fat" jokes.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:34 am

genesim wrote:What a CROCK!

Elvis material should be released warts and all.

The best fighter in the world Muhammed Ali had many fights that weren't so great. Matter of fact, his last couple of outings I firmly believe that he was high on drugs.

So what. It is part of history. Bad or good, why disguise it?

That is why Elvis has been the joke, because of the "experts" who only want to show the sanitized image.

Yet ignoring the fact that at his worst, Elvis was still a huge concert draw, and a firm country artist.

I enjoy his last recording sessions and his last concerts have the few highlights. And as the first poster tsc4280 points out...no Elvis didn't deserve all the "fat" jokes.


Genesim, you bring up a good point. There was many a fight where Ali came into the bout overweight and out of shape. I know, I was a big fan of his and was quite disappointed a few times when he would step into the ring a little flabby. Still, like EP, he had tremendous charisma and would flash a smile, or show glimpses of greatness which was what the crowd and his fans wanted to see.