Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

who can make a review of dragon heart...???

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:12 pm

please with some details....!
thanks!!!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:56 pm

Hi there,

Have just gone through the record one time so I can´t really help you with a complete review. Only thing that strikes me is the fact that the sound on the bonus tracks is better than on the main show. It is a good show, Elvis is in really good spirit and sings very well most of the time. His voice do seem a bit "weak" at some times but not really bad. All in all it is a very good and entertaining show with a great set list. Too bad it wasn´t professionally recorded.

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:08 pm

for a detailed view goto:
http://members.tripod.com/~Elvis-Tapes/CDREviewsob.html

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:26 pm

That was a confusing write-up and it wasn't much of a review.
At one point the author indicates:

Here on "Dragonheart", like the "Profile CD of Collage Park" we get a good example of Elvis trying his best to prove he's at the top of his game, and it doesn't work.
As soon as Elvis starts to gets chatty with the fans he's had it, no more evident here than after "See, See Rider", Elvis starts chatting to the audience and gets mixed up with his words talking about flash bulbs, then tells some one in the audience to "Shut up".
This then continues after most songs Elvis try's to chat away and make out he's fine? But even the songs on this CD show Elvis' erratic behaviour he's trying too hard a lot of the time and it's not working, his voice is all over the place.

Later on in the review they wrote:

Personally I think Elvis read a few of the reviews that talked about his problems, and these pissed Elvis off, and it was times like this he went on stage and tried to prove them wrong and what we hear on this CD from FTD and the others is proof of it.

I'm not sure of the author's opinion of the show?
Aside from mentioning See See Rider, the author doesn't describe any other detail about the show itself.

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:30 pm

:) Your right Brad, those comments wern't a review at all! They were just a few brief comments on Elvis's 'condition' at this time.Give a few people time to recieve this CD and you'll be seeing a few decent 'reviews' in a while.... :lol:

review dragon heart

Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:21 am

Tracklist Dragonheart:

See See Rider 3:42 / I Got A Woman/Amen 6:56 / Love Me 1:29 / Blue Suede Shoes 1:24 / It's Midnight 3:46 / Big Boss Man 2:35 / Fever 3:38 / Love Me Tender 2:14 / Hound Dog 2:04 / Heartbreak Hotel 2:21 / If You Love Me 2:50 / Bridge Over Troubled Water 4:25 / Introductions 5:01 / Lawdy Miss Clawdy 1:36 / Introductions 0:51 / All Shook Up 1:00 / Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel 2:02 / Let Me Be There 3:22 / It's Now Or Never 2:34 / You Gave Me A Mountain 3:14 / Johnny B. Goode 4:00 / Hawaiian Wedding Song 2:31 / Steamroller Blues 2:48 / Can't Help Falling In Love 1:39 / Closing Vamp and Announcements 0:56 / bonus tracks: All Right, Okay, You Win ( Detroit 9-29-74 ) 1:15 / Blue Christmas ( College Park 9-28-74 ) / Trying To Get To You ( College Park 9-28-74 ).

I got this cd today and put it in the cd player right away because i wanted to compare this cd to the one from fort baxter 'college park'.
And i have to say it isn't much better than that concert, also the sound on dragon heart is not very good, Elvis' voice is much louder than the band and you can heardly hear the audience.
I really have to say that this is one of the weakest concerts of 1974 that Elvis gave in this year. I was surprised how flat his singing was, listen to Bridge over troubled water, he heardly can hold a note, it seems he is running out of air, and try to make that up with some closing notes. Elvis sounds a little better after the band introductions, and i think steamroller blues proves that, a real good performance there. A little remark for the ftd team: we pay a lot of money for this releases, can you PLEASE make better mixing on these cd's (i mean the soundboard ones) some bootleg albums sounding much better than the ftd ones (like the DAE ones).
I now that i won't play this cd much because of the sound en Elvis' performance that day, but his mood is very good this day and that makes up for a weak concert.
I prefer desert storm over this one, even when is really over the top on some songs there, to much uppers taken??.
Listen for yor self and maybe you have another opion...
hope to hear from you all
greetings:
Patrick

What a shame

Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:30 am

What a shame FTD put out this concert then if Elvis is singing so bad, it's strange they picked this show. Bridge usually was sung with passion, so if he''s not singing this okay I fear for the other songs....
Cheers
Simon

Ok, you right, you won Patrick!

Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:17 pm

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your courage telling the truth about this release and it’s good to see that I’m not the only one who is highly critical about this release. Last week I left a short comment (puff the magic dragon) and was crucified for my very own personal and subjective point of view.

Here is my review:

Great release for the Blind and the Deaf!

Coverart: A matter of taste (not mine), at least glossy, bright and colourful! :?

Content: Average `74 concert with a promising songlist, but with a very unsteady Elvis showing some vocal limitations that night and being off key on more than one song. Elvis was focused on the Ballads that night and gave some good performances on that kind off stuff, but you can also hear that he is not very inspired on the 50`s stuff, cause he delivers some throwaway versions like Blue Suede Shoes. Elvis is indeed in a good mood, but is that enough? To me it sounds kind of hectic and hyperactive (if Elvis was really overmedicated with downers on September the 27th, than he might take too much uppers that night).
:o
Sound: Very badly mixed and balanced tape or suffer from tape ageing, not so sure. It’s obvious that the soundengeneer was not on its toes that night. Voice and drums/bass far too up front in the mix, loudness varies a lot of times as if someone played with the output level. There’s an overall dullness as if it was recorded behind a curtain. :cry:

Conclusion: Average concert in bad sound! After five great sounding releases in a row from FTD it’s like a slap in the face. I can see no need for releasing this particular Show. That FTD can do better is evident in the bonus tracks, because the songs from September, 28th College Park in Maryland has a much better sound. I expect much more from FTD regarding content and sound quality than any obscure bootleg label. I would feel ashamed Ernst, comparing your latest work with Bootlegs like "Hello Memphis" or "Guarantee to blow your mind". If that’s the best you can offer, what the worst will be! If further soundboard releases should have this kind of quality, I can and will easily live without them.
By the way, I have already resold my copy! :wink:

P.S. I’m not complaining about every release, but I have a right to do so, because for good money I can expect good quality! I never had and never will have this "I buy it anyway" attitude. :!:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:51 pm

:( Mathius,
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and we SURE KNOW YOURS! I feel you may have overlooked several points:-
1.what makes anyone think we would have ever heard this release had it not been Ernst's decision to release it?
2.Eye Witness fans reports given after this show suggest it's 'variable' 'quality' with both 'poor' AND 'good' performances.
3. Art-work is always a difficult thing to please everyone and thankfully it being so different in itself makes it an unique release.
4.Whilst myself preferably given a choice from the whole tour would have liked an un-documented 'great' show such as Indianoplois 5.10.74 Evening Show, we can't always have what we want and surely 'overall' South Bend 1.10.74 was better than the whole 28.9.74 experience?
5.I have yet to hear this CD but you can REST ASSURED my comments will be at least 'interesting' when i get to hear it, but from the inside cover art-work it looks much better than before-already.At least here we will be getting a truthfull Elvis 'warts and all show' -NOT just 'highlights'!
6.I have read about 5 'positive' reviews about this show and also 5 'Negative' reviews...yours was equal WORST review!! :evil:

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:39 pm

How does Elvis' performance on Dragonheart compare to the Dayton Ohio show released on A Profile Of The King II? (I don't mention Breathing Out Fire because I don't have it).

What`s wrong with me ?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:53 pm

Oh lordy,

1. I have great respect for Ernst and his work and I´m really thankful for the Collectors Label, even if I don´t like every release.

2. I didn`t said the show is all worse, but it`s far from being great.

3. I didn´t told nobody to stay away from getting it himself.

4. I´m a music lover and High End Freak who likes to enjoy Elvis`s music in the best possible sound and who cares about the performer/ artist and his musical legacy.

5. I`m not a diehard Fan who devoted his life to Elvis alone. Sometimes less is more, I don`t need to hear every show that was ever recorded only because it is excisting, I guess elvis would turn in his grave, if he would be aware what all has been released in his name so far.

6. Fans like me, withtheir constant ,very often constructive, critic had leed to succesesful changes in BMGs releasing politic. The last result is a wonderful, almost perfect in quality ( sound & content ) Close up boxset.

7. I have never offended anybody, but I get the impression, that there is
not much tolerrance around here on this board anymore. I have received a lot of emails calling me a bloody german kraut and other friendly things I don´t want to mention here. It seems more and more to me that Elvis is not only the King of the lonley hearts but also of the simple minded and at least the deaf ones.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:39 pm

Mathias if you don't want Elvis's shows, don't buy them, but leave people who like to listen to them alone. I'm not simple minded, far from it.

I love the new Dragonheart release, and if you don't... fair enough, but keep your crappy comments to yourself.

Do you expect a soundboard recording to sound like the "Moody Blue" CD, because if you do, you are a completely mad.
There is no way it can, I suggest you don't bother buying anymore soundboards because I am sure you will not like them. Stick to the RCA stuff, or better still buy some of the modern crap stuff that's in the charts today. The sound quality should be OK for you.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:58 pm

Dear Joe,

what is it that makes you so mad about me. If you think I´m an Idiot, just ignore me, but don´t speculate and don`t tell me what to do and what not.
If you have any problem with my comments or should not understand what I try to say, you can ask me! There is a great song from Elvis that fits to you perfectly "Clean up your own backyard"!
By the way, I have enough courage and don`t need to hide behind some pseudonym!

Enough said!

Wish you a long and healthy life!

Mathias

Dragon Heart

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:03 pm

According to the above comments, it looks like several people have heard it, but no-one has mentioned anything about the thing that's got me gagging to hear this cd - tell us if Alright, Okay, You Win is worth a damn or not!!!

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:27 pm

Mathias,

IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU, WHO ARE ALWAYS COMPLAINING THAT WILL GET THE FTD LABEL STOPPED.

THEN WE WILL GET NO NEW RELEASES, JUST LIKE BACK IN THE 80'S.

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:47 pm

After reading several of the comments on "Dragon Heart" I was expecting the worst. Actually, the CD is quite good -- very good sound quality for a soundboard. I did cringe whenever Elvis spoke. Only Elvis could get away with telling someone in the audience to "shut up"! He seemed impaired when he talked. By that, I mean his words were slurred.

"Well Alright, OK, You Win" is good, but Elvis is slightly "off mike" since he sang during an introduction.

Several of the songs are standouts -- See See Rider; Big Boss Man (very good); Let Me Be There; You Gave Me A Mountain; etc.

Buy the CD, you won't be disappointed.

Mystery Train

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:01 pm

It's funny how the fact that different people have different tolerance levels when it comes to FTD releases and their sound quality causes such a heated conversation which might turn ugly within a few more comments... :wink: I mean, this is how it should be: what someone finds intolerable will be quite appealing to another. A fact of life...

As for myself, I have yet to hear this particular release. I don't expect it to differ much from the College park show from three days earlier as far as Elvis' performance is concerned. That one sure is NO easy listening with crude remarks and off-key singing by both Elvis and back-up singers (Bill Baize, ouch...). Yet it holds a sort of morbid fascination for me.

As for why this particular show was selected, I have my theories (in defense of Ernst :wink: ):

1. Ernst said that FTD in principle wants to document every tour and Vegas/Tahoe engagement: this is the document of Sep/Oct 74 tour.
2. A lot has been out on bootlegs from this tour and they managed to release a show that has not been out before (save for two bonus songs)
3. Remember, what comes out is dictated by what BMG has a hold of. There may be better shows of better quality out there but BMG does not have them
4. And it's a complete performance; all in all, a good document.

What I don't quite understand is why people rush to buy these and then proudly announce that it was such a bad CD "that I've already resold it". Why bother buying them in the first place then? But then again, I don't understand a lot of other things, either... :?

By the way, I just bought a DVD of Queen at wembley, and wondered whether Elvis would have been able to fill Wembley three night in a row and have the audience eating out of his hand the way good old Freddie did that night 17 years ago ("ain't it funny how time slips away..."). Performing on the level of this sep/oct-tour I'm afraid not... :( The DVD of Queen was a nice product, by the way...

Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:46 am

Why do people have to get so bent out of shape about someones opinion??
I appreciate reviews, but I don't buy or not buy on just one person's comments. Thanks Mathias, for your honesty 8) and Scot he had to buy the cd to listen to it :!:
BTW "You win" is a nice NEW "ditty" or part of of it anyway. I haven't heard the rest of the album though.

I'M NO SOUNDBOARD FAN.

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:15 am

I buy any CD that comes along the FTD line! Only to make up my own mind if I like the product or not!
The SOUNDBOARDS to me, are historical statements, which only a true fan can get some pleasure out of, I think!
I file all the Soundboard FTD's on their own. I hardly ever play them more than one or two times. Still, I can enjoy to observe if Elvis was good or not on stage at that particular performance!
The real Elvis to me, is to be found in the studio material, and professional recorded concerts. Even soundtracks are rated higher than soundboards, with me! Which is why I can't wait to get my hands on CLOSE UP.
Ernst try to please as many as possible as often as possible! I'll leave it at that!

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:46 am

Tomorrow I hopefully will get my hands (and ears) on this latest FTD release. I pretty much got what I suspected back then with FTD's "It's Midnight", I'm curious to see whether or not I will be surprised with this new release.

Fort Baxter's College Park Maryland show 28/9/74 was pretty weird and ultimately depressing to listen to back then, but hearing "Blue Christmas" from that notorious night again on Baxter's latest "Greatest Hits" cd, made me appreciate this performance slightly more, I don't know why exactly. Perhaps his phrasing on that performance was a bit different than usual.

As far as the response to others peoples opinions goes, opinions that you may disagree with or may not like to be put forth here (in fear of Ernst reading them), a lil' tolerance and open-mindedness won't hurt... :)