Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The King's Crown?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:10 am

Hey all, Does anyone have any clue as to what happened to that crown that Elvis had at the end of Aloha From Hawaii? Seems like a silly question but I was watching it the other day and I wonder who kept things like that....BTW, does anyone have any info on who dubbed Elvis the "King"? Who did it first?

Thanx, T.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:21 am

I believe that the crown is in the Graceland archives, and has been displayed there.

As for Elvis' designation as "King", I believe Parker was the one who came up with that.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:57 am

I thought it came from a headline in Variety and just stuck.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:07 am

And who was behind all those headlines that stuck?? :wink:

the kings crown

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:12 am

... Did the old bastard work for Variety as well?!

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:58 am

The Old Bastard planted stories and pushed puff pieces in every publication known to man.

This can't be news to you.......

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:02 pm

I don't think you can give this to Parker. There was actually little value to him in 1956 of a king of rock and roll "title". It was considered a transient music form at best.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:48 am

I don't believe that the popular thought as to the longevity of the R'n'R movement would dissuade Parker from trying to tag his "Boy" with a moniker that would ingrain itself in the public consciousness.

Hell, it didn't stop him from forming the "Midget Elvis Presley Fan Club" :lol:

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:56 am

likethebike is quite correct it was penned by a journalist and appeared as a Variety headline.

It actually referred to 1956 INCOME figures and nothing to do with musical quality or type.

At the time Elvis was logically cast as a Rock and Roll singer - whether or not each song was.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:17 am

Then there's the magazine that had a contest...

"Who is the King Of Rock And Roll? Elvis Presley, or Pat Boone?"

And the winner was decided by votes.. Poor Pat never had a chance.

I can see the magazine's "look" so well, but don't remember the title... anybody got a scan?