Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

American Idol

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:14 pm

I know the American version generated from the GB original show.

Let's pretend for a moment that 1954 and 2006 are welded in time, and into the first round of auditions saunters 19 year old Elvis Presley for his first audition, sans guitar, and has to sing a few bars from a song that he has chosen.

We know he'd be dressed different than everyone else.

Does he make it to the next round?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 pm

In Memphis -
I've just taken to watching American Idol during the past month, and you've hit upon something I've been wondering about. The thing about the idol contestants who get selected is that they're vocally trained and polished. In other words there's no raw, but undeveloped talent. I wonder how a 1953 Elvis would fare, and I don't think he'd get selected. This is my beef with the pop music record business of today. They aren't really seeking out and developing raw talent, (I'm not sure they can even recognize it), they're basically taking kids with photogenic looks and trained-to-perfect-technique voices (at least in most cases), running them through what Joni Mitchell called 'the star-making machinery behind the popular song,' and walla, instant pop stars. But a raw 1953 Elvis, or someone like Johnny Cash, who's talent wasn't readily apparent but was a subtle combination of songs, sound, and atmosphere would likely not fare too well.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:18 am

Duh, of course he makes it to the next round :D

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:19 am

Please remove this shitty subject from the all Elvis forum!!!

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 am

Not only does he make it to the next round, he beats the crap out of Simon, hires Randy as his body guard and gives Paula a 7-hour boink fest in his room.

Tom

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:53 am

Good one Tom.

My problem is that if a performer likw Elvis did make it to the next round of American Idol they would sand the personality off him and the end result would not be Elvis. They'd get on him about mumbling, his choice of material, his close and his hair. They also get on people for singing with subtlety. I'm glad there was a Sam Phillips to let Elvis find himself.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:32 am

Pete Dube wrote: In Memphis -
I've just taken to watching American Idol during the past month, and you've hit upon something I've been wondering about. The thing about the idol contestants who get selected is that they're vocally trained and polished. In other words there's no raw, but undeveloped talent. I wonder how a 1953 Elvis would fare, and I don't think he'd get selected. This is my beef with the pop music record business of today. They aren't really seeking out and developing raw talent, (I'm not sure they can even recognize it), they're basically taking kids with photogenic looks and trained-to-perfect-technique voices (at least in most cases), running them through what Joni Mitchell called 'the star-making machinery behind the popular song,' and walla, instant pop stars. But a raw 1953 Elvis, or someone like Johnny Cash, who's talent wasn't readily apparent but was a subtle combination of songs, sound, and atmosphere would likely not fare too well.

Right on!! This is the music business of today. I don't think they have the ears to recognize someone different. Notice how so many country singers all sound like Garth Brooks or the in the female case, Martina Mcbride. Or in the pop field they all have to belt out power ballads like Celine Deon.

The gift of Sam Phillips was that he could see talent thru the rough edges, and didn't mess with it or try to change it. Arthur Godfrey on the other hand was musically blind.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:33 am

If it wasnt for Elvis, there wouldnt even be an American Idol Show. :wink:

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:29 am

Sean Ryan wrote:If it wasnt for Elvis, there wouldnt even be an American Idol Show. :wink:

Good one Sean !

And MB280E you can bite it. I think it's a damn proper discussion to have here. Giving Elvis' place in history as an icon and legend.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:55 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:and gives Paula a 7-hour boink fest in his room.

Tom

Only if she was wearing itty-bitty white kecks. :lol:

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:21 am

Pete Dube wrote: But a raw 1953 Elvis, or someone like Johnny Cash, who's talent wasn't readily apparent but was a subtle combination of songs, sound, and atmosphere would likely not fare too well.
That's It!

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm sure he'd also grab up Seacrest to take over for Charlie in giving him his water and scarves :lol:

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:54 pm

I've watched this show pretty regular since season 2.

I've never been really that impressed with the talent, untill last year. Carrie Underwood and Bo Bice are fantastic singers IMO. I have both of their CDs and they are certainly the best new talent I have listened to in a while.

JEFF d
Elvis fan