Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hurt (x-rated version) fake

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:21 pm

I was listeneing to the x-rated version of Hurt and started thinking that the swearing part is fake. It definately sounds like the swearing is someone elses voice.

The swearing words and original words are interwoven... you can hear the voice for the swearing is very similar in tone. The original words in between are different in tone to the swearing yet similar in tone to each other. It just sounds unusual going from one tone to another and back again then back to the first tone of voice.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:24 pm

I haven't got this, but I've heard it and I remember thinking it sounded very odd, and 'not right'
Is there a sound clip on the 'net? anyone?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:29 pm

It sounds faked to me as well.

There are lots of fans here though that are of the opinion that it is real.

Maybe Ernst can tell us for sure sometime.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:30 pm

what's your email address?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:33 pm

I also think it sounds a bit "odd", although I can´t put my finger on what it is. There is no doubt, however, that Elvis recorded an "x-rated", take 69 version of "Hurt", as a practical joke for Vernon. Felton´s wife burned the master tape.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Come to think of it, it does sound a little "rich."

Are we sure it's the "real" X-rated version?

Even in his worst state (except maybe the "Desert Storm" concert?), I wonder if he'd commit such comments to tape in front of fellow musicians
or at least an engineer...

Other thoughts, people ?.......

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:52 pm

Well, the story I´ve heard is that Elvis did the x-rated version as a joke and then called for Vernon, said "Hey daddy, here´s my new single, what do you think?", and had the engineer play the take for Vernon... who probably went into a state of shock! :shock: :lol:

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:52 pm

I would like to hear this as well.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:54 pm

Elvis, as we all know, had a twisted mind...he would often make up dirty lyrics during rehearsals and sessions, just to keep the mood light and fun.

It sounds to me that this version of Hurt was available as an off speed (too slow) recording. Even with the pitch corrected, it's only an offline recording and not a multitrack that we're hearing.

I'm sure it's Elvis.

Axe

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:58 pm

Yeah, I was sure, too, but these posts above got me to wondering..

Jon, check out the import called "Cut Me & I Bleed" to be found in Jordan's on-line library.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:21 pm

It is not fake. His overly medicated state is not noticed singing but speaking yes. Too bad this came out and great that the sound quality as I have stated before is so bad that it is not something that wants to be heard repeatedly anyhow.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:33 pm

I'll take your word for it, but it is truly a bizarre moment in his recording career.

I also wonder what's so funny about it, as it seems too close to his real feelings.

Either that, or it's a very dark humor.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:26 pm

bwahaha. i always thought it was funny, in an odd little gem sort of way.

though i think we've heard enough OTHER EXAMPLES of elvis cursing, that we all should know that he did in fact develope a mouth and his humor got very dark.

i suppose the fact that his entire persona was so sanitized early on, that it seems like the jump got really huge in his personality changes between the 50s and even the 60s.

though i suspect living non-stop around a bunch of guys would do that.

i used to be offended of language to the point of getting really mad at people who said those words. i was honestly prudish beyond belief...then i lived in a rehab center (depression) for 10 months, and it became that you could scream the worst curses you could devise at me and i'd probably roll my eyes.

i suspect elvis' mama's boy thing got diluted after awhile with the guys around him.

actually i found it a relief when first really discovering elvis, when i found he was a real person who let his very HUMAN personality--along with the dark side of that--come through, at least in jam sessions and some concert stuff.

personally, i find that sort of stuff enjoyable. though admittedly, it would probably offend 80% of the world...i'm fairly hard to offend with language done obviously as a joke. i suppose being a late teenager today sort of adds to the desensitization with the words he uses on there. mostly i just think it's funny.

and i surely think he recorded it simply as a big prank sort of joke. and it works on that level.

i mean, this is the same guy who did several versions of a joking are you lonesome tonight?--the no hair versions and the gay act with charlie...etc...

it doesn't surprise me at all when i hear elvis utter a few dirty lyrics.

it's like the "big ass" line in ttwii. i'm sure that was surprising for some audiences to hear, much less lyrics like "don't cry fatty...how you beat your little children so..." i indeed know people that lyrics like that would be offensive to. me--i just find it amusing because i can see context of what is a joke and what's not.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 pm

JLGB wrote:It is not fake. His overly medicated state is not noticed singing but speaking yes. Too bad this came out and great that the sound quality as I have stated before is so bad that it is not something that wants to be heard repeatedly anyhow.

JLGB you maybe right about his state, but on the other
hand he could have been totally straight too and
just in a weird mood,......
No different than the Dear Georgee verse in 69',
its just that this sounds like it hits a little closer to home.....

We can all assume Elvis was self consciously talking
out loud about Priscilla, but who knows it could have
been anyone he was talking about, unlikely :roll: ,
but there is that possibility,
after all this was 3 years after their divorce....
PEP 8)

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:48 pm

Last edited by Juan Luis on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

it's NOT fake, just poor quality sound! :o

it's NOT fake, just poor quality sound! :o

It's KOOL

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:59 pm

I like to hear Elvis swearing because it's closer to the image of the guy with his feet up watching the 'footy' on three television screens than the GOD like figure some fans get into their heads!!

Elvis was a very down to earth guy caught-up in a showbiz world I don't think he ever felt comfortable with (apart from the trappings).

The 'Cut Me & I Bleed' CD is a must have to fully understand the real Elvis.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Elvis' Babe, I personally am not offended by anyone swearing including Elvis.

When this sort of thing first start coming out I must admit it was interesting and certainly different to hear Elvis swearing and joking around in this way since we as fans in general had not heard this coming from our idol before in any form....

The Dear Georgee was classic, the "F@@k You" thing out of Vegas in 74' was cool, swearing here and there for this or that most of the time overall was just being human....its not for all...and not nescessary needed all the time so to speak....either.

When the X-rated version of "Hurt" came out here again no big deal, however as JLGB said it was sad more than funny.....because in one way hearing this we can hear Elvis was truely "Hurt" and even tho he appeared to be making a joke about the whole thing and that it wasn't a big deal, in reality I believe he was really "Hurt" and his true feelings were coming out....plus we are lead to believe this is one of the main reasons for Elvis' down fall.....meaning his feeling of a family unit was no more and this I think showed it didn't help his situaction....

So for that reason its a little sad to hear this, but yet should still be heard...because it is what it is....

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:23 pm

Nor am I disturbed or offended by this bootleg-only tape, Elvis' Babe.

I've even shared it in a bemused way with my brother, a fan longer than I.

That doesn't make me think it's entirely healthy or just a barrel of laughs.

There's pain in that sort of humor, especially when the satire is pretty hard to find.

I even recall that Genesim enjoys the outburts heard on "Desert Storm" and I knew exactly what he meant. That said, it's the sound of a man's breakdown.

swearing

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:27 pm

The "big a**" comment in TTWIW never bothered me, just as an occasional "how the h**" or "d***it" in the movies was not offensive to me, but hearing or reading about outtakes where (for lack of a better phrase) Elvis was cursing like a mutha****er still bothers me. Not that I haven't occasionally used some of those words in private. Sometimes in rehearsal with my band I might throw it into a song just to get their attention, because these guys have a tendancy to concentrate on their own playing to the extent that they don't notice anything else unless it slaps them in the face. I wouldn't want these rehearsal tapes used on an official release of the band. I could just imagine my mother's face turning white and my dad's angry reaction. "I didn't bring you up to curse like a sailor!" And 99.9% of the time I don't. Elvis worked very hard to protect his public image. After he died, so many things were dragged up to try to convince us fans what an evil person he was. You know, like taking drugs was the worst possible thing a person could do. Or womanising is the worst possible thing a person could do. So in line with the new Goldman-ized Elvis image, we had to hear Elvis calling this person and that person a mutha*****er and g***d*** this and g**d** that. Oh yeah, and I'll turn right around and sing a gospel song (reminds me of a fan comment heard at one of Bob Dylan's Christian shows: "He sings gospel go*****it!"). I guess for some folks it's part of humanizing the man, while for others it's part of demonizing him.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Lonely Summer regarding the swearing or
the joking around Elvis may have done or
rather has been recorded in my opinion
should be at least released on a FTD
release if it calls for it.....

Meaning the little swearing that was released on
"Nashville Marathon"

As a example I think was needed or rather not
needed to be left out for historic sake....
and I'm glad Ernst FTD decided to keep this
on this release...

Something like "Hurt" X-rated is a type of release
still meant to released
but should be left for the importers (and was) in my opinion,
since this type of thing would go to a smaller audience
which it did and a area where the majority of the fans in
this area will accept pretty much anything and
take it for what it is....

Because your right in what you said
"Lonely Summer"
"I guess for some folks it's part of humanizing the man,
while for others it's part of demonizing him."

And by saying that at least by keeping it on a
import release hopefully
The ones that end up with that type of material
do end up either appreciating what they are
hearing as well as understand a little more
what was happening to this man without
demonzing him as you say, but
are taken into the history of the man.

I will say this too, whatever it is and
no matter what it is regarding Elvis
I want the opportunity to have access to it....
in some form.

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:05 pm

I always felt it was real.

Didn't one of the musicians record it on a cassette player ?

That explains the poor sound quality.

We can thank the self-appointed chairperson, and only member, of the Jarvis Bonfire Society for the Protection of Innocent Ears for the original not being available.

Hitler burning books was one thing..................... but this.................

Still, I guess it warmed up Felton's backyard for a few moments.

Wings Of An Angel / The Prisoner's Song

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:12 pm

If we accept that Elvis swearing is not the 'huge shock' it used to be, how do people here feel about any racially offensive material seeing the light of day, the 'Wings Of An Angel / Prisoner's Song' studio jam comes to mind. Do you think this type of stuff will ever get the FTD treatment?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:14 pm

ColinB wrote:I always felt it was real.

Didn't one of the musicians record it on a cassette player ?

That explains the poor sound quality.

We can thank the self-appointed chairperson, and only member, of the Jarvis Bonfire Society for the Protection of Innocent Ears for the original not being available.

Hitler burning books was one thing..................... but this.................

Still, I guess it warmed up Felton's backyard for a few moments.

Personally even tho Ernst says he believed Felton's wife when she said she threw this type of material in her back yard fire....

I personally feel one day a better copy will surface......

Neither here nor there mind you, but somebody must have a better copy out there somewhere over the rainbow :smt098

PEP 8)