Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Songs in Karaoke Contests Part II

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:46 pm

Well, I lost the karaoke contest! I didn't even get a fifth place win. But, it wasn't because I didn't sing my guts out!!! I sang "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" first, then went on to "Return to Sender" complete with the white dinner jacket and Elvis' Jackie Wilsonesque moves from "Girls! Girls! Girls!" and still lost the contest!
Here's the reason why: They had 5 judges scoring the performers, and 4 out of the 5 judges were either country music DJ's or musicians in a country music band.
So, the 5 cash prize winners were all singers who performed country music and the 6 singers who performed oldies, show tunes, etc. were left out in the cold.
So, here's a tip for anyone who enters karaoke contests:

1. Ask the organizers of the contest exactly who the judges will be. If they refuse to answer, refuse to enter. Plain and simple.

2. Keep in mind that, no matter how good a singer you are, there will always be someone who sings better than you! Also, don't lead yourself into believing you have a chance of actually winning one of these competitions. And, don't let other people make you believe it, either!

3. If you do enter a contest, do it for the fun aspect of it, and sing your guts out and give 220% to each performance. That way, no one can say you didn't at least try (and this includes yourself!)

I'm entering another contest tonight, but I'll be sure to know every minute detail of what's going on first, and I'm performing some killer Elvis tunes to boot. Here's a partial list:

A MESS OF BLUES
POWER OF MY LOVE
LONG BLACK LIMOUSINE
IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
ONE NIGHT (the 1950's version!)

Happy Singing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!