Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:06 pm

I'm definitely getting rid of all of my Elvis music and going with this guy. I can't believe I've wasted this much time on a has-been like Elvis. Thanks for leading me down the right path!

Re: A New 'King' of Rock.goodbye Elvis?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:44 pm

macuser wrote:Time to show your support by flodding CNN's ET department with e-mails instead of whining here like crybabys if you care about Elvis.

Yes, please do flood CNN's ET department with emails, if you want to look like another idiot "Elvis fan."

Who cares that some AP hack calls Solomon Burke the king of rock or soul? It's just rhetoric for a daily news piece.

That said, Burke is one of the GREAT soul singers, and his best material -- cut in the 1960s -- is well worth your time. If you listen to other music, that is.

DJC

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:49 pm

I wonder if they are keeping lots of out-takes in King Solomons mines?

:P

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:53 pm

I thank Solomon for coming up with the concept of rock and soul which is more descriptive and inclusive than the straight jacket that many have used to strangle rock and roll. He's been calling himself that since the 1960s. No use getting upset over it now.

Burke is actually something of an Elvis fan as he performed Elvis covers in his live act on his way up. Also, you can definitely see Elvis' influence on Burke's vocal style.

He is one of the artists I would do an Amazon if you like you'll also like thing because he is very similar to Elvis in many ways particularly in his assurance with material and his ability to caress a lyric and in the use of vibrato. He also covered many songs that Elvis covered including spellbinding renditions of "Proud Mary" and "He'll Have to Go".

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:55 pm

Occasionally, I do listen to a little soul music. However, I'm actually a Sam and Dave man myself.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:57 pm

Rob wrote:Occasionally, I do listen to a little soul music. However, I'm actually a Sam and Dave man myself.

Well thank you Rob but Dave & I broke up years ago!!! :lol:

:shock:

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:59 pm

Isn't it past your bedtime down there?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:04 pm

He's shooting for 8,000 posts before daybreak.

DJC

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:39 pm

No not really Doc. And Rob yes it's getting close to bed time.

Ah, I have more time for the MB now.

Don't worry I will try to behave, but it's not easy!!!

8)

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:44 pm

Rob- Check him out. You'll probably enjoy him as there are Elvis like elements in his style. There's also a lot of country in it.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:26 pm

likethebike wrote:There's also a lot of country in it.

Now you've gone and talked me into it. I hope you're happy!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:28 pm

Get his classic stuff. His new stuff is good but the Elvisesque elements are not as present. At one point he even remade "In the Ghetto".

It's funny that Elvis' rep suffers so in the African-American community. In the 1950s and 1960s he was very popular with many of the black performers of his generation, even more so the ones that were teenagers when he became (I.E. nonrivals). Percy Sledge of "When a Man Loves a Woman" fame recorded versions of both "Love Me Tender" and "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road". Albert King and Chuck Jackson both recorded Elvis tribute albums. He was very popular amongst that generation of black performers.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:34 pm

Well, Doc, there is a way to write a smart note to such a writer. When I see dumb comments on Elvis in print, I try to correct or gently inform the author -but without wearing my "idiot fan" hat.

It's not all that bothersome here, given that it's about the underheralded legend Solomon Burke.

I agree that he's got a voice that many Elvis fans would cotton too. His recent "comeback" (he never left) on Fat Possum records helped revamp his career, too.

I bought a 2-CD comp on Chuck Jackson (on Tomato Records) recently and also thought that Elvis fans here would like his voice and style.

A few other sure fire soul or soul-blues acts to recommend to Elvis fans:

Bobby "Blue" Bland (he also covered "In the Ghetto" and still active)
The late McKinley Mitchell,
Mighty Sam McClain (still touring)
the late Brook Benton

All tread territory that Elvis did and I recommend without reservation.

Solomon Burke

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:28 am

Brook Benton's "Rainy Night in Georgia" is one of my all-time favorites, and he had many other classic tracks. Solomon Burke is a class act, he did a tribute to Little Richard on the Songwriter's Hall of Fame show a few years back when Richard himself couldn't be bothered to attend. I do like the term "rock and soul" because in our culture there really isn't much of a divide between the two, i.e. the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which gives credit to soul performers as much as rockers, and many artists bridge that gap anyway, Elvis being a great example himself. I don't know of any singers with more "soul" in their voice than Elvis. Likewise, I don't know of any white singers that could out rock Little Richard in his prime.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:19 am

Why would anyone get upset over this innocuous little puff piece??

Put a lid the righteous indignation for a more opportune moment........I hear one of the Stanleys has a film coming up. I'm certain the bluster will be more appropriate then, if history is any guide.

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:33 pm

No matter what one does or says there will always be news articles like this one. And while they may be upseting to alot of us, most of us know the real truth.
We know that Elvis can not be replaced. He will always be the king no mater what. We listen to his music, watch his movies, concerts ect. Much of the news on music these days is nothing but garbage. I have never heard of this guy. So I wont say anything negitive about him, but for me there is only one King of rock n roll....and that's Elvis Aaron Presley !