Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Existence of Rare Elvis Footage November 20th 1976.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:35 am

Having just got hold of a set of Elvis magazines entitled 25 Years The King released by the British Fan Club in 1981 I came across an amazing piece of info. on inside back cover of issue 9.

There is a half page ad with a guy in the USA who for $69.95 (a huge amount in 1981) is selling 20 minutes of Elvis live footage shot in California Nov, 20th 1976 onstage at the Anaheim Convention Centre.

Elvis is wearing the white 'Indian' jumpsuit and the footage comprises of 'See See Rider', 'Fever', 'Love Me', 'Polk Salad Annie', 'Hurt' and 'Blue Christmas'.

I assume this is original footage shot by the owner as he is from Anaheim so my questions are: Is this footage of good quality? Does anyone have any info. on this? Has anyone seen this?

Andy

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:04 am

First problem: on November 20, Elvis was at home in Memphis -- he played Anaheim on November 30.

The footage may be the Super8 material commonly available for many years, and certainly not for such an inflated price, then or now. It's doubtful the 1981 offer included matching sound, as it's not mentioned in the ad, is it?

DJC

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:10 am

The magazine must be a printing error as it stated the 20th.

It does state watch Elvis sing then lists those songs.

Inflated price or not someone official should gather this type of footage together and get it out there for the fans who I'm sure would lap it up.

Andy

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:15 am

DJC is correct on the dates. It was more than likely a typo. Footage from this date has been around for a while. What I have is fairly decent for audience recorded 8mm. Elvis looks good at this time as well. If I recall its about 5 or 6 minutes long. Can't be sure if what I have is the same exact footage as advertised but more than likely it is, since back then alot of dealers were offering 8mm footage before VHS was popular. And this doesn't mean it was one of a kind stuff. They made copies of 8mm and sold it thru catalogs mainly. I still have all of my bootleg video and record catalogs from the late 70's and early 80's. 8mm film was expensive back then for sure. Oh, by the way, the footage I speak of is on VHS.

ANAHEIM

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:13 pm

I have a 400' 8mm reel of this which lasts approx. 17 minutes. I bought it at the time of that magazine. It was silent, but I sent the film to a lab to be "striped" and I added sound to the best of my ability through the projector cable. The sound was from a bootleg '76 CD, although I had to use a Vegas version in the bit where Elvis performs "Blue Christmas". The colour is lovely and rich on the film and I subsequently had it transferred to VHS. Elvis looks well slim and at one point puts a tall hat on JD Sumners' head. I have shown this film, along with other rare reels, at branch meetings/conventions.
I also posess a short reel (6 mins) of footge shot at The Spectrum, Philadelphia on 28th June 1976. Elvis is overweight at this time, but the footage is nice quality again.