Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

CBS TV Special 1977 Background information ?

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:48 pm

Iam searching for background information regarding the CBS TV Special 1977.

- who forced the deal
- why Elvis agreed the deal
- money problems?
- What was filmed (shows, Elvis privat, airport, hotel etc) ?
- Rumour about an Elvis interview at Graceland in his garden?
- The originally concept of the special (a complete show or parts of different shows)
- Why CBS did this deal (because of knowing Elvis health problems)
- The tv audience rating at broadcasting
- Why CBS did'nt filmed the opening or closing show of the tour?
- etc

Are there any good webpages about that?

Thank you

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Col. Parker made the CBS deal, and RCA's Joan Deary was opposed to the TV broadcast but Parker lined his pockets with CBS $$$$ whether Elvis lived or died.

Re: CBS TV Special 1977 Background information ?

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:56 pm

- who forced the deal

No one.

- why Elvis agreed the deal

$$$$

- money problems?

Yep. Colonel's that is.

- What was filmed (shows, Elvis privat, airport, hotel etc) ?

This I know: Two shows in Rapid City and Omaha. Elvis arriving to Indianapolis airport and recieving an award and talking to a fan club president. Elvis backstage in Rapid City. Various fans and Vernon Presley were interviewed. Graceland from the outside. Different concert venues from outside.

Just a rumour

Hope this helps litle bit. Someone hear can give more detailed answer I'm sure.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:03 pm

- who forced the deal
The Colonel

why Elvis agreed the deal
Remember that Clambake song? Who needs Money

- What was filmed (shows, Elvis privat, airport, hotel etc)
Don't expect any surprises.. Just Omaha & Rapid City.

Just a rumour, not a fact..

- The originally concept of the special (a complete show or parts of different shows)
The special was not finished, but quickly produced after 16/8'77

- Why CBS did this deal (because of knowing Elvis health problems)
The Colonel turned many offers down, not this time. Again, lot of money was involved. Maybe the Colonel thought Elvis would get his act together knowing he was filmed..

- Why CBS did'nt filmed the opening or closing show of the tour?
CBS didn't know anything about EP, but they did see Elvis in Chicago.
Elvis was in far better shape in Chicago compared to June.
CBS filmed Rapid City because he never played there before.
Huge mistake! Although it tuned out to be a decent performance, they should have filmed the last 2/3 shows. Usually towards the tour closing, Elvis was in better shape.

Cheers, RJ

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:48 pm

Hello guys, I have some questions too, let's go:
How much money have Elvis and Colonel received?
What about salles of Elvis In Concert Album? Any awards for this Album?

Re: CBS TV Special 1977 Background information ?

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:59 pm

Marko wrote:- who forced the deal

No one.

It was forced - by greed, money, ratings,
and an absense of dignity.

Satan, er, I mean Colonel Tom Parker forced the deal to follow through - even after Elvis died.
And Joan Deary was saying don't air that, cancel it, Elvis looks so sick, have respect for the dear departed.

So what.
A sick bloated Elvis will draw a crowd/ratings too.

Parker had it aired anyway and CBS got their mega-ratings
and they laughed all the way to the bank.

The deal was "forced" into completition.

Not even Death could stop it.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:03 pm

CBS offered a million dollars, that's a nice bonus by '77 standards.
Keep in mind that this is on top of the regular tour income.
The Elvis Presley show used about 120 people and 3 airplanes.
But general costs were low. Hotelrooms were sponsored, sound equipment rented, lighting... there hardly wasn't any, few strobe lights.
No big stage set up because of the 360 view etc etc..

Don't know about EIC album sales.. others on this MB do.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 pm

dougkapp wrote:What about salles of Elvis In Concert Album? Any awards for this Album?

It sold very well in the aftermath of Elvis's death. I think it went to Platinum.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:55 pm

Marko wrote:It sold very well in the aftermath of Elvis's death. I think it went to Platinum.

3 X Platinum, actually.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:15 pm

ColinB wrote:
Marko wrote:It sold very well in the aftermath of Elvis's death. I think it went to Platinum.

3 X Platinum, actually.

Very good, Colin. Well done. I thought so but didn't bother to check.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:44 am

Great information. Well, I just wanna discuss about the story behind. There were many discussions about Elvis himself in the special.
The deal was made in february 77 , right ? It looks like a spontaneous deal to me. The time between aggreement and filming is very short. Is it not possible, that CBS did some preshots before the officially filming ?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:29 pm

As far as I know, the deal was done in April. I have heard that the Colonel saw Elvis in really bad shape in his hotel suite (Larry Geller tells the story all the time, when the Colonel told him, the only thing that matters, was to get Elvis onstage) and I guess Parker was the first one from the entourage who realized, that Elvis would definitely die. So he quickly made that cbs deal and forced them to film as soon as possible. I have heared that the Colonel wanted the special to be filmed in may, but cbs couldn't do it that fast, so they filmed in june. That's what I call "good timing". I think Elvis' condition got better during the last shows, because he had done the special and wasn't that nervous anymore (and maybe didn't try to compensate this by using too much of his medication).

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:37 pm

dl:

The particular incident to which you refer took place in Louisville. Kentucky on May 21. The CBS Special was announced, I believe, on June 1. If that is the case, then clearly the Colonel panicked as he thought his cash cow would die at any minute. Possibly it might have been the first time Parker saw Elvis in such a state where he was completely unconscious, having heard reports from others for a number of years. Who knows? Whatever, it certainly appears to have galvanised Parker into action. No wonder, after Elvis had died, Parker was keen for it to be shown. He probably had made all sorts of promises to CBS on the money.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:54 pm

Col. Parker should've done a concert film deal in '75 instead of '77. Big mistake on the colonel's part.