Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I John - I soon will be done with the troubles of this world

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:46 am

Can anyone fill me in on William J. Gaither's bio (not a googled one, plz) ...

To Elvis ' fans WJG might be known as the guy who wrote "I John"

... As most of us, I thought the song was an original, until i came across "I soon will be done with the troubles of this world" .... there's several versions of the latter one circulating ... a fast one - a traditional - best known by th GG Quartet ... a slower one, with slightly different lyrics & harmonical changes best known by Mahalia J., on my 33' also credited as traditional ...

... "I John" uses the same melodical, rhythmical & harmonical structures & changes as "Trouble", tho the latter one was recorded by Mahalia when I John's "composer" was merely a baby.

William Gaither Bio

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:23 am

William J. is better known as Bill Gaither. He wrote "He Touched Me". He didn't write "I John", rather Gaither Music (his company) handles the publishing for that song. I noticed the error in the credits for the 2CD Amazing Grace set.

Bill Gaither is well known for his work in Gospel music. His Gaither Homecoming videos have been (and still are) bestsellers in Christian music. He's a sincere and devoted man who is working hard to preserve gospel music history.

He has a great biography (which I just finished reading last week), and he has a website at http://www.gaithernet.com.

Hope this helps

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:28 am

I meant to add to the reply this interesting tidbit I learned in Gaither's biography. In the 1950's he was in the Stamps-Baxter school of music. In the school, different people would be picked to form quartets. He got teamed with Charlie Hodge (prior to his being in the Army) for a quartet.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:36 pm

thanks,

so the Charlie-connection is maybe how EP got to know "I John"

... the Gaither Company seems to be big bizniz in the midwest ...