Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:19 am

genesim wrote:
Marko wrote:Songs were left out because the publishing companies demanded big $$$ for them.

I am betting it was more like cheap asses at the helm of the project. That and the fact that it was a horrible mish mash that actually made the first release a more popular item to be found in original form on DVD. :lol:

Actually the money being asked for was most likely too high. With DVD being the new format, publishers can charge more than the statutory rate for the rights to use their songs. The standard rate for VHS has been established, so for MGM to have released it on VHS there would be no problem. But with DVDs, the publishers can ask whatever they want, since it's a "new, untested medium". If MGM and EPE agreed to pay too high a rate, that would bring the rate up for all DVD releases, more or less.
At least this is the way that I understand it. If anyone with more knowledge on this subject cares to share, I'm all ears...

Axe

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:23 am

Bottom line:: This Schucklin guy is an incompetent.

He is not an Elvis fan.
He had the chance to put together a truely great piece of work and blew it.

But he did achieve one thing that hadn't been accomplished before.

He put together a special edition dvd that actually has less footage than the original.

I wouldn't let this guy edit my home movies of the family picnic for free.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:07 am

If there's any consolation, Disney is releasing a 2-DVD fully restored with tonnes of extra footage of "Lady And The Tramp" to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the film. This means we'll get a 50th anniversary 2-DVD re-release of "TTWII" in 2020. Only 14 more years !! Whoooo hoooo !!! :wink:

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 am

moodyblue1 wrote:Only 14 more years !! Whoooo hoooo !!! :wink:

By that time, I'll be watching the real thing.

Unless.....................

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:59 pm

WORD to ekenee!

That guy whoever he was had actually come out and said he was trying to present a different kind of Elvis with that show. I can't remember the exact wording, but publishing on things(besides AYLT) wasn't the problem!

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:05 pm

genesim wrote:WORD to ekenee!

That guy whoever he was had actually come out and said he was trying to present a different kind of Elvis with that show. I can't remember the exact wording, but publishing on things(besides AYLT) wasn't the problem!

I agree that it wasn't all about publishing rights although it certainly had something to do with certain songs. Schmidlin did cut out some songs he didn't want in the movie.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:23 pm

Right, so what is the point in even doing the project if you are not going to do what it takes to make it the best it should be.

The whole thing was shoddy, and all I can say is that it is good as a extra itself compared to the original! The problem was that it was a hard hit to the Elvis legacy and the prime reason why it was harder to get projects like this off the ground.

At least Aloha and the 68 Comback were completely marvelous in all regards.

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:30 pm

ekenee wrote:Bottom line:: This Schucklin guy is an incompetent.

He is not an Elvis fan.

Piers' recent reposting of his EIN interview with Rick Schmidlin does not totally back that up. There are plenty of "Elvis fans" who aren't the nutcases we are. The spectre of anyone "reediting" a movie to their own tastes decades after the fact to "improve it", however, is to blame, along with the degree to which the suits mucked up the DVD.

From something I wrote on the January 13, 2006 thread:
"The "TTWII" film: 1970 vs. 2001 versions"
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ight=ttwii

ImageImage
EIN: We would love you to clarify something for fans. We have read about your frustration in not being able to get the rights for "Are You Lonesome Tonight" for the film - which surprisingly was OK'd for "Elvis The Concert". EIN would have thought that MGM/Turner would have the rights to the film footage and surely the rights to song itself has been OK'd 1000 times before for every Elvis release? How can they say "no" to you using the footage for the video? After all isn't it just more money in their pocket for the same song ?

Rick Schmidilin: The owner of that song is not Elvis -friendly, film rights are different than "The Concert"

I wonder if he the AYLT publishers had dollars in their eyes only, or somehow thought the new TTWII was going to be some kind of blockbuster. Or just had ill-feelings about E's infamous '77 version from CBS-TV and "This Is Elvis"?

The copyright and publishing laws are absurd. I read this weekend that Martin Luther King's famous "I Have A Dream" speech (from 1963) amazingly is not public domain yet but owned by the family. So many schools are forced to use just edits and snatches. Unbelievable.

Here's Likethebike's review of the 2001 "TTWII" "Recut":

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

Also:

PiersEIN wrote:
....This week I rediscovered our EIN interview with Rick SchmidlinProducer of the TTWII Recut.

I can't believe that he mentioned the possibility of him recutting 'Elvis On Tour' as a subsequent project. (I had forgotten that he said it at the time, it seemed so inevitable back in 2000!)

Cheers
Piers